UNC Coach Larry Fedora talking about Money Mitch

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/mitch_trubisky_larry_fedora.html

Fedora on Trubisky's height

"I promise you Mitch will be tall enough. I've never said Mitch was 6-3, so I don't know where any of that came from, but he's going to measure probably 6-2 or a little bit taller than that. I don't know exactly because I've never put a tape on him, but he's going to be tall enough to be successful, I promise you.''

Fedora on Trubisky's character and NFL prospect

"Mitch Trubisky will be the face of somebody's organization and he will make them proud,'' Fedora said. "He will never embarrass them. He's as solid a person as there is. He's the kind of person you would want to be the face of your organization and he's a program-changer. Somebody's going to be able to build around him and have that piece of the puzzle. And at that level, that piece of the puzzle is extremely important.

"From my understanding there's about five or six that can take you to a Super Bowl every year, there's about 10 that can win every Sunday and the rest of them are fighting for their job every single week, and I think he's going to be one of those guys that's going to be in that top 15.''

Fedora on why he didn't beat out Williams

Fedora said Trubisky, who started only this season and went 8-5 in his 13 starts, didn't beat out Marquise Williams the previous two years because "we had a pretty good team a couple of years ago when he was competing for that job. We ended up winning 11 games and had a chance to win the conference championship, so I'm very comfortable with what we did.''

Fedora on Trubisky's accuracy and decision making

"His accuracy is phenomenal,'' Fedora said. "He's the most accurate quarterback I've ever coached or been around, and there's been some good ones. Mitch can put the ball exactly where he wants to put it. He can do it whether he's balanced or unbalanced. He can do it off his back foot, leaning, he can do it from a 3/4 pro to a sidearm. He can put the ball where he needs to put it and that's very unique.

"There's not a lot of guys that have his type of accuracy. His arm strength, all of those things are really good. He can make every throw but on top of everything, he makes really good decisions.''

Fedora said the Tar Heels put a lot on Trubisky's plate as far as "post-snap reads, whether or not we're going to run the football, throw it based on different keys. He doesn't throw it into coverage and he understands where to go with the ball. He's done a really good job of taking care of the football and we preach that.''

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I don't like his answer on why he didnt beat out marquise.

Well Marquise started and played pretty well the year before Trubisky came into the fold. Williams went 4-1 in their last 5 games.

Marquise Williams was not in anyway a bad college QB. He was actually a pretty good college QB. He is a terrible NFL QB. There is a difference.

Williams was a dual threat QB, the type of QB who we see excel in the college game all the time.

Which QB would you have taken in college?

Cam Newton or Tom Brady?

Vince Young or Drew Brees?

Tim Tebow or Matt Ryan?

I don't hold it against Trubisky. Williams had more experience, a couple of wins and was a dual threat QB in a read-option offense.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, he intentionally sat the most accurate QB he has ever coached. How odd.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fedora is not making himself look so good heaping all this praise onto Trubisky. Saying that he feels comfortable with not starting Trubisky last season while telling the world how great Trubisky is?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Well Marquise started and played pretty well the year before Trubisky came into the fold. Williams went 4-1 in their last 5 games.

Marquise Williams was not in anyway a bad college QB. He was actually a pretty good college QB. He is a terrible NFL QB. There is a difference.

Williams was a dual threat QB, the type of QB who we see excel in the college game all the time.

Which QB would you have taken in college?

Cam Newton or Tom Brady?

Vince Young or Drew Brees?

Tim Tebow or Matt Ryan?

I don't hold it against Trubisky. Williams had more experience, a couple of wins and was a dual threat QB in a read-option offense.

Bingo... You could argue the majority of top 10 qb's in the NFL would have been playing behind Tebow or Young if they were on the same team/same grade level

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trubisky has one thing that the others don't that leads me towards him as the choice.

He is super accurate.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That and staying accurate when not able to use perfect mechanics is often underrated. Kid needs more time to develop but should have the mentality and ability to do so while on the field. Smart, safe, accurate and retaining these under pressure are top traits. He's had his errors but they weren't really pressure based. Mistakes to be sure but still, significantly fewer than others.

He's also going to surprise folks in drills at the combine. He'll have bad days, like all the rooks but he's as or more likely to grow from them as any other prospect. He's seen less than the others and already reads as well or better than any of them.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
No one else found it weird, or a backhanded compliment that he said this:

"From my understanding there's about five or six that can take you to a Super Bowl every year, there's about 10 that can win every Sunday and the rest of them are fighting for their job every single week, and I think he's going to be one of those guys that's going to be in that top 15.''

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not really. If he says his 1 year starter is going to be elite at the next level, it would sound more like he's blowing smoke up our asses. Saying he's a franchise QB is a strong enough compliment.

Here's the thing. Some will think these are excuses but really, when the HC is trying to be honest and saying complimentary things, isn't reading negatives between the lines being jaundiced?

If you actually followed the link the coaches balanced review ended with "he's a quick learner. I can assure you, with his work ethic, those things are not going to be a problem. If he's taken No. 1 overall, he's qualified for it, no doubt.'' Maybe not as balanced or maybe he actually feels that way. No way for us to know.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yeah his answer was kind of weak but not surprising. No reason for him to say it was a mistake when his team played in the ACC championship and was 11-3 with one of those losses being against the 2nd best team in the country that year.

What he should have said was simply that Williams was the starter the year before and it was his job to lose and he did nothing to justify losing it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, some (one) have shown more of it on the field and already have NFL accuracy. The super accurate guys under good conditions are Trubisky Mahomes and Kaaya. Take away good conditions and you drop Kaaya who is also the weakest, Mahomes the strongest. Add in reads and that leaves you Trubisky because you can't tell about Mahomes in that O. Kizer can be accurate but was less consistently so and looks to be a decent reader as well. We talk about kaaya getting happy feet and short arming throws causing inaccuracy or long strides or pressure doing some of that for Kizer but with Trubisky, odd angles and not being able to use great mechanics doesn't seem to affect him as much.

That's a natural gift and is only going to get better. Not something you learn from years of backup practice as another poster would have you believe.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah his answer was kind of weak but not surprising. No reason for him to say it was a mistake when his team played in the ACC championship and was 11-3 with one of those losses being against the 2nd best team in the country that year.

What he should have said was simply that Williams was the starter the year before and it was his job to lose and he did nothing to justify losing it.

He also expected to have Mitch for 2 years. He's only coming out because he's expected to go early. Coach made the right choice for the situation and shouldn't need to defend it. PolarBear explained it well.

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could you imagine if a college HC came out and said "..he's as dense as a box of rocks.." or ".. when out with his friends he's as mad as a sack of snakes.."

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He also expected to have Mitch for 2 years. He's only coming out because he's expected to go early. Coach made the right choice for the situation and shouldn't need to defend it. PolarBear explained it well.

I agree with the above except he should defend it. Teams are deciding whether to invest millions in a franchise QB. You have to ask that question and the coach should be prepared to defend his decision and his player.

Suppose the answer was actually that Mitch took a while to fully digest the offense? You can't just speculate on what the answer is as there are any number of explanations and you want to hear a reassuring explanation from the person that actually made the decision.

Based on Fedora's answer, if I were a team I'd probably call him in private and try to question him further on it as his answer there didn't reveal much. Do I think it's a big deal? No. But I'd want to be sure there isn't more to it.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Money Mitch"

giphy.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Of the "top three", he's certainly the third option for me behind Watson and Kizer, however if Pace takes him, much like with Garoppolo, I will be happy enough that he's at least making a genuine effort to find a franchise QB and I will be optimistic that it'll work out.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The team regressed under Trubs. Even offensively. They were national title contenders who nearly knocked off Clemson and went toe to toe over the 40 burger line. Then they went 8-5 with 6'1.5" Trubs.

I want Fedora...not Trubs. Trubs is Cousins without the mental capacity or the competitiveness/leadership. IMO

He'll be fighting to be in that top 15 but moreso Tannehill than ever reaching quite up to it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of the "top three", he's certainly the third option for me behind Watson and Kizer, however if Pace takes him, much like with Garoppolo, I will be happy enough that he's at least making a genuine effort to find a franchise QB and I will be optimistic that it'll work out.

Kizer gonna bust.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with the above except he should defend it. Teams are deciding whether to invest millions in a franchise QB. You have to ask that question and the coach should be prepared to defend his decision and his player.

Suppose the answer was actually that Mitch took a while to fully digest the offense? You can't just speculate on what the answer is as there are any number of explanations and you want to hear a reassuring explanation from the person that actually made the decision.

Based on Fedora's answer, if I were a team I'd probably call him in private and try to question him further on it as his answer there didn't reveal much. Do I think it's a big deal? No. But I'd want to be sure there isn't more to it.

Not his issue to define that sort of thing and the O was not the same as when Williams ran it. He did say Mitch was quick to adjust and responded well when given a lot in terms of reads. No need to read anything into this other than face value. Time for scouts to do their own work and ask the coach their specific questions. I'm sure he's already had discussions with scouts and will have many more.