How about a Romo & Pat Mahomes combo for the present & future

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Maybe this has been discussed around here but just read about Daniel Jeremiah saying the Bears are a leading candidate for Romo. I have no idea how legit this speculation is but Romo would make Fox happy given his tenuous hold on his job as HC and Romo would probably be a good guy for Mahomes to learn under as Mahomes biggest negative from what I understand is his learning curve for the NFL.

Mahomes certainly would cost them less in terms of draft picks than Jimmy G and the Bears have the cap space for Romo. This also allows them to draft an elite defender with the 3 pick.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't be the worst option in the world, but I really would be shocked if Romo lasted a full season. Not sure how many hits he can handle at this point.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we wanted our QB to get injured we could just keep Cutler and draft Mahomes.......we don't need to get Romo for that.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Why would Romo come here? he is going to a team that can win now

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Maybe this has been discussed around here but just read about Daniel Jeremiah saying the Bears are a leading candidate for Romo. I have no idea how legit this speculation is but Romo would make Fox happy given his tenuous hold on his job as HC and Romo would probably be a good guy for Mahomes to learn under as Mahomes biggest negative from what I understand is his learning curve for the NFL.

Mahomes certainly would cost them less in terms of draft picks than Jimmy G and the Bears have the cap space for Romo. This also allows them to draft an elite defender with the 3 pick.

I'd be down with bringing in T.Romo and drafting a P.Mahomes, or B.Kaaya or even D.Webb in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round to learn under Romo.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
If we can trade back to the titans for pick 5&18 we give 3 & 36 and next years 4th or 5th we'll have a chance at a qb and top defensive player.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
If we can trade back to the titans for pick 5&18 we give 3 & 36 and next years 4th or 5th we'll have a chance at a qb and top defensive player.

Hoping this is a joke... Titans have no reason to move up. They'll land 2 of their biggest needs, both a premier DB and WR at 5 and 18, that will help them into the playoffs next year.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I like your suggested combo Matt but feel that Mahomes will likely go in the 1st round. Therefore either the Bears take him at 3 (almost certainly not going to happen), trade back a bit in the first and then take him or use our 2nd and another pick (likely our 3rd rounder) to move back into the 1st round with what amounts to our 2nd draft pick in the 2017 draft.

I think there are a few teams in the mid-latter part of the 1st round who will consider taking QBs - Bills, Cards, Giants Texans and Chiefs. Maybe even the Steelers. To me that means the suggested top 3 will definitely be gone and Mahomes is definitely next man up after that. I think some teams will have him ranked higher than one of the supposed top 3.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't believe Mahomes is a viable back up to Romo because he really needs to sit his first season and Romo can turn to dust at any moment.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Romo-NO, sign Hoyer for 1/3 as much to hold the spot.

Mahomes-Yes, but he needs a ton of work.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I like your suggested combo Matt but feel that Mahomes will likely go in the 1st round. Therefore either the Bears take him at 3 (almost certainly not going to happen), trade back a bit in the first and then take him or use our 2nd and another pick (likely our 3rd rounder) to move back into the 1st round with what amounts to our 2nd draft pick in the 2017 draft.

I think there are a few teams in the mid-latter part of the 1st round who will consider taking QBs - Bills, Cards, Giants Texans and Chiefs. Maybe even the Steelers. To me that means the suggested top 3 will definitely be gone and Mahomes is definitely next man up after that. I think some teams will have him ranked higher than one of the supposed top 3.

I agree it is likely Mahomes goes in the mid to late first round and posted this months ago. However acquiring Romo takes the pressure off the Bears to a degree and makes them a real wild card in the Mahomes sweepstakes. My thought was it would cost Pace less in draft picks to move up from his 2nd round position into the first round to get Mahomes then it will cost him trade for Jimmy G. If the Bears do not get a QB before the draft or early in the first round then a team will know they can jack up the price to trade because everyone knows the Bears will need to draft a QB in the 2nd round. With Romo in tow nobody will know what the Bears intend to do about getting a long term fix at QB.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree it is likely Mahomes goes in the mid to late first round and posted this months ago. However acquiring Romo takes the pressure off the Bears to a degree and makes them a real wild card in the Mahomes sweepstakes. My thought was it would cost Pace less in draft picks to move up from his 2nd round position into the first round to get Mahomes then it will cost him trade for Jimmy G. If the Bears do not get a QB before the draft or early in the first round then a team will know they can jack up the price to trade because everyone knows the Bears will need to draft a QB in the 2nd round. With Romo in tow nobody will know what the Bears intend to do about getting a long term fix at QB.

So you think 4 QB's will be drafted in the top half of the 1st round???

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't believe Mahomes is a viable back up to Romo because he really needs to sit his first season and Romo can turn to dust at any moment.

Romo
Barkley
Mahommes would allow for that.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Hoping this is a joke... Titans have no reason to move up. They'll land 2 of their biggest needs, both a premier DB and WR at 5 and 18, that will help them into the playoffs next year.

You've never been wrong before.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I am sure a Hoyer / Mahomes combo isn't your ideal choice Windy anyway but you'd really want Hoyer babysitting the spot for what might be a whole season ahead of Romo just to save some money? A team can win with Romo if he doesn't get injured but maybe the chance of a possible injury is your issue? I can understand that there's no way I am taking Hoyer over Romo.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:

I can understand that.

Personally I hope we can trade with the Jets to move back and take Richardson off their hands and pick at 6 whatever happens. Then if we pick Mahomes at 6 if they think he's the man so be it or better still trade back a little bit more if possible and take him then.

This whole QB debate would be a lot easier if Pace is convinced JG is the man and puts his balls on the line and trades for him with our 2017 2nd rounder and even our 2018 1st rounder on top if that's what it takes. I don't care I just want Pace's conviction on the matter.

Then given the opportunity we trade with the Jets for Richardson as mentioned and maybe back more to get our 2nd rounder back this year with Garoppolo on top. If he works out then no one will give a sh*t about the price.

Trade 2017 2nd rounder and 2018 1st or 2nd rounder to try and outbid the Browns. Receive JG in return.

Trade 3 for 6 in the 2017 first round and receive Richardson in return and possibly another later pick (4th or 5th) though I want the Jets to make the trade so I won't break balls over it.

Bears get Sheldon Richardson, Solomon Thomas or Jamal Adams and Jimmy Garoppolo in our first two rounds in 2017.

FA Signings: Duron Harmon (FS), A J Bouye (CB), Russell Shepherd and Jack Doyle (TE) + Kelvin Beachum (OT)

Then PRAY Pace is right and JG works out!

B O O M!

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Signing Romo would be like throwing $ down the drain because he can't stay healthy. Plus Romo would cost more then a bridge QB like Hoyer. The Bears are still rebuilding any way. It wouldn't make sense to sign an expensive, damaged 37 year old QB, Just to go 9-7 or 8-8.