A look at Jimmy Garoppolo

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2640751-can-jimmy-garoppolo-carry-new-england-patriots-in-tom-brady-absence

"The biggest issue with Garoppolo wasn't showing up to the NFL overaged, but his athletic upside. An FCS quarterback, he measured in at the combine in the 19th percentile of quarterbacks in terms of height at 6'2", according to Mock Draftable, and he didn't flash in any explosion drill. At Eastern Illinois, he was labeled as a "system quarterback."

"To truly get a feel on how Garoppolo may transition to starting in the NFL, we need to take a look at all of his regular-season dropback attempts since he entered the league. As they say, the eye in the sky doesn't lie."

"Including the passes which were called back for offensive holding, Garoppolo has thrown 33 balls in his two years as a professional. A shocking amount of them, 22, have come within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Seven of them were either screens or bubble passes thrown to the perimeter behind the line of scrimmage. In many ways, he's still functioning as a "system quarterback," even in garbage time as a professional. "

garoppolo-gif.gif

"He has quick-strike ability to make passes underneath, but he rarely tests deep, and he's not very successful when he does. Over 10 air yards, he needs the assist of the defense buying into action in the backfield or his teammates overcoming one-on-one matchups to get a quality ball off, even if at times those players aren't winning certain matchups within the rules of the sport."

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Garoppolo has a noodle arm with no power and bad mobility skills.

He's Andy Dalton without the athleticism.

I don't see why Bears fans think he's worth even a 3rd round pick. The only thing he has going is that he's young.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So IAPUTAN is right, Garoppolo = Hoyer

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Garoppolo has a noodle arm with no power and bad mobility skills.

He's Andy Dalton without the athleticism.

I don't see why Bears fans think he's worth even a 3rd round pick. The only thing he has going is that he's young.

Kinda sounds like Drew Brees. Garoppolo's mobility and escapability in the pocket is actually pretty good.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So IAPUTAN is right, Garoppolo = Hoyer

Hoyer is better. Hoyer has the intangibles that Jimmy can only wish for.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Locker-Room-Report-Brian-Hoyer-rated-as-the-best-deep-passer-in-the-NFL/f84ccaa4-8e55-402c-a253-58b175c113ab

Hoyer he leads all quarterbacks with 531 yards coming on deep passes traveling 16 yards or further in the air. Second is Philip Rivers (475); third is Andrew Luck (449). Hoyer’s arm strength has been on display in every game this season.

Kinda sounds like Drew Brees. Garoppolo's mobility and escapability in the pocket is actually pretty good.

Apparently not good enough to last 3 NFL games.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
You know what's happened since the guy wrote that article?

Jimmy had 63 more attempts this season in his first two starts. He threw 4 TD's- 1 INT, completed 68% of his passes and averaged over 8 YPA.

He has 4-5 on passes thrown 21-30 yards and threw two TD's in this range. He had a QB rating rating of 146.3 against the blitz.

He also won both those games.

Not making the case for him but a lot has happened since that article was written.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Hoyer is better. Hoyer has the intangibles that Jimmy can only wish for.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Locker-Room-Report-Brian-Hoyer-rated-as-the-best-deep-passer-in-the-NFL/f84ccaa4-8e55-402c-a253-58b175c113ab

Hoyer he leads all quarterbacks with 531 yards coming on deep passes traveling 16 yards or further in the air. Second is Philip Rivers (475); third is Andrew Luck (449). Hoyer’s arm strength has been on display in every game this season.

Apparently not good enough to last 3 NFL games. Let's not get into his shoulder and knee injuries. That may make him injury prone.

To be honest, his frame and durability are my biggest concerns. As for as his ability as a QB though, I'm very high on him. I think it's a little too early to call him injury prone at this point though. His injuries concern me slightly less than say, someone who tore their ACL once before and relies heavily on their legs.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
You know what's happened since the guy wrote that article?

Jimmy had 63 more attempts this season in his first two starts. He threw 4 TD's- 1 INT, completed 68% of his passes and averaged over 8 YPA.

He has 4-5 on passes thrown 21-30 yards and threw two TD's in this range. He had a QB rating rating of 146.3 against the blitz.

He also won both those games.

Not making the case for him but a lot has happened since that article was written.

Yeah, that article is pretty pointless to use as an anti-Garoppolo point when he had a much more extended stretch of play to evaluate since then. I'm not the biggest fan of acquiring Jimmy G, but the 2 games where he actually started and played as the primary focus of the offensive gameplan, and threw twice the number of passes are MUCH more important to his evaluation as a future starting QB than garbage time snaps as a rookie (only 4 of those passes in 2015).

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Jimmy played ONE FULL NFL GAME! Extended stretch? He was injured in the first half of his second game.

That does not equal the monster deal Jimmy G is going to want plus a first and second round pick.

[video=youtube_share;BijZaGQGVV8]https://youtu.be/BijZaGQGVV8[/video]

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Jimmy played ONE FULL NFL GAME! Extended stretch? He was injured in the first half of his second game.

That does not equal the monster deal Jimmy G is going to want plus a first and second round pick.

Wat8.jpg

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
I like everything about him.....except that he's built like a HS quarterback..

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Patriots want a first round pick and a fourth round pick for Jimmy and someone will do it.

Remember when the Bears traded..

2009 First Round Pick
2010 First Round Pick
2009 Third Round Pick
Kyle Orton

for Jay Cutler! Let's stop with they ridiculousness and just build through the Draft like all the successful teams do.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

The words "much more" that you left out are important to the context. And you're arguing a bunch of stuff I didn't say. I didn't say the Pats deserve a 1st and/or 2nd for him or that he deserves a bunch of money. All I said was the MUCH MORE extended stretch where he actually started and was involved in the gameplan and threw 60 passes is more important than the stretch where he threw 33 passes over 32 weeks of garbage time.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace trades for Jimmy he needs to be on the receiving end of a thousand wedgies and nurples. Jimmy's upside is Hoyer, a guy who will make for a good back up and run the offense when your starter goes down but lacks the game making attributes and testicular fortitude to put a team on his back. The answer is in this draft.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The words "much more" that you left out are important to the context. And you're arguing a bunch of stuff I didn't say. I didn't say the Pats deserve a 1st and/or 2nd for him or that he deserves a bunch of money. All I said was the MUCH MORE extended stretch where he actually started and was involved in the gameplan and threw 60 passes is more important than the stretch where he threw 33 passes over 32 weeks of garbage time.

It was more of rant than an argument. Which is why I choose not to quote or direct the post at anyone.

I'd love to see Jimmy play more than one NFL game before we decide to trade for him and gamble.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
AVY_crop_150x150.png
well, if this kid says so...

He's still better than all the people that call themselves sports writers but just post slideshows with click-bait titles.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Patriots want a first round pick and a fourth round pick for Jimmy and someone will do it.

2009 First Round Pick
2010 First Round Pick
2009 Third Round Pick
Kyle Orton

for Jay Cutler! Let's stop with they ridiculousness and just build through the Draft like all the successful teams do.

true......and at the time jay at least had seasons of starting exp.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

2009 First Round Pick
2010 First Round Pick
2009 Third Round Pick
Kyle Orton

Honestly, if Jay Cutler had a better attitude and was a better leader, he would have been a fine QB in the NFL. Jay Cutler statistically, is not a bad player at all. He is probably an average NFL QB by those standards. It's his shit personality and leadership that has for the most part let this team down and why he is getting run out of here.

Jimmy does not have that attitude. He was known for being a competitor and a leader coming out of college.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Honestly, if Jay Cutler had a better attitude and was a better leader, he would have been a fine QB in the NFL. Jay Cutler statistically, is not a bad player at all. He is probably an average NFL QB by those standards. It's his shit personality and leadership that has for the most part let this team down and why he is getting run out of here.

Jimmy does not have that attitude. He was known for being a competitor and a leader coming out of college.

I agree. Jay Cutler has all the talent but lacks leadership skills and doesn't live up to that potential.

Jimmy probably has the leadership skills but he hasn't shown the skill as of yet. (one full NFL game)