Bears speaking to media today

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You just have to keep building through the draft and not handing out ridiculous contracts to veterans. It's the only way you are going to get out of this.

This is true. It's the only way to build sustained success. FA acquisitions should be filling the odd hole here and there. You have to draft well, consistently.

Unfortunately with the Bears even when they hit on talented players they tend to be injured half the time. Maybe it's time to just accept the Bears are a bad franchise who are generally bad at doing football.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Maybe...just maybe...the bears just need a QB and a couple secondary players and they'll be fine. Have to hit on the QB though. Jay obviously was just a place holder and now pace has to fix the Bears eternal problem. If he does that, gets a couple more play makers in the secondary, this team would look to be in great shape.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe...just maybe...the bears just need a QB and a couple secondary players and they'll be fine. Have to hit on the QB though. Jay obviously was just a place holder and now pace has to fix the Bears eternal problem. If he does that, gets a couple more play makers in the secondary, this team would look to be in great shape.

It could take a couple of years for the QB to really hit.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I want to believe that Pace understands this and will make a big splash in the draft and swing for the fences. But I'll believe it when I see it. Too much disappointment has led me to half-expect him to go with some mid round bum project and draft a defender at #3 who will sit out injured for at least 9 games, or he'll draft Allen and he'll just be a guy.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get it, but I think to some extent the Bears from the early 80's - Lovie Smith era were pretty resilient in being able to win without a great QB. I liked McMahon, and the 1985 Bears were a team for the ages...but if you listed the top 10 NFL teams of all-time, I would guess the 1985 Bears would be the only team without a HOF QB. The Bears made the playoffs with a revolving door of average QBs...Harbaugh, Walsh, Kramer, etc. They went 13-3 with Jim Miller and made the Super Bowl with Grossman. Even with Cutler, they very nearly made the SB again.

Point of all of this is that other Bears teams found a way to be competitive with average QB play. Pace has made the QB position to be more of a problem by having so many other holes, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't really blame that on Pace. The 2010 team still had the core of Lovie's defense, but the main guys were all drafted 2003 or earlier and Angelo drafted poorly after the Superbowl. Then Emery was a complete turd. By the time Pace was hired there had been a decade of front office fail.

I agree with you about Pace's first draft but his second seems solid and he's had a lot to turn around. It will take time. They really need to hit on a few impact players, obviously. Even with solid pieces like Goldman and Whitehair, the team lacks play makers in a big way. I blame Pace for not doing that enough yet, but I can't blame him for the shit show he inherited.

Chris

Liked Posts:
Personally I think Pace has had two decent drafts? Injury has held White back, but at the time it was seen to be a solid pick. Goldman, Grasu, Floyd, Whitehair, Howard all excellent additions with other players also given game time.

Think he needs to do more in FA, seems to be numerous options to solidify the secondary this year however the QB decision he makes will be his 'make or break' moment.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Chris Emma‏Verified account @CEmma670 11m11 minutes ago
Ryan Pace said the Bears plan to have conversations in Indy this week with Alshon Jeffery's rep, Tory Dandy.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Personally I think Pace has had two decent drafts? Injury has held White back, but at the time it was seen to be a solid pick. Goldman, Grasu, Floyd, Whitehair, Howard all excellent additions with other players also given game time.

Think he needs to do more in FA, seems to be numerous options to solidify the secondary this year however the QB decision he makes will be his 'make or break' moment.

The 2015 draft has been terrible. Goldman is the only person that stands out from that draft as NFL caliber. White, Grasu, Langford haven't done shit. Amos has been okay for where he was drafted, but he's basically just a warm body.

Chris

Liked Posts:
The 2015 draft has been terrible. Goldman is the only person that stands out from that draft as NFL caliber. White, Grasu, Langford haven't done shit. Amos has been okay for where he was drafted, but he's basically just a warm body.
I can't follow college game closely due to living in the UK, did White have injury concerns there? If he didn't you can't blame his lack of production on Pace? If he did then I guess it was a reach. I thought Grasu showed signs in his rookie season, Amos has been ok

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I can't follow college game closely due to living in the UK, did White have injury concerns there? If he didn't you can't blame his lack of production on Pace? If he did then I guess it was a reach. I thought Grasu showed signs in his rookie season, Amos has been ok

White didn't have any injury concerns in college. The problem with the pick imo is that White only had 1 year of good production in college. He basically relied on on superior athleticism to dominate college DBs and his game is not transitioning to the NFL. He looked lost most of the games he has played in. I think Grasu could be an okay back up, but nothing more. That's not really what you want out of your 3rd round picks.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not sure if anyone else feels this way, but it doesn't seem like this rebuild has bottomed out and is heading back up. It still feels like the Bears are going to be bad next season.

Heading into year 3 and we need a complete reset at the QB position and now we need a #1 WR, in addition to the needs that already existed.

I am not saying this is a criticism of Pace, I just expected to be in a little better position heading into year 3.

I think your right, and if that is the case, what is the point of signing any of the top FA's ? Unless they are young players, it would seem pointless. I'm a little surprised, I thought they would be in win now mode coming into this offseason. Not that "win-now" equated to contenders, but rather the need to achieve some level of respectability.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not anymore. Anyone who wants Watson will trade ahead of Bears.

They could only do that if the Browns or Niners want to trade out of their picks. Maybe the Browns are set on Garrett and the Niners want someone else, and they aren't interested in trading their picks.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nah, as usual this time of year on CCS draft trades can be made unilaterally.

The best one this offseason was the other day when someone said they should simply trade #3 and #36 to Tennessee for #5 and #18.

Chris

Liked Posts:
White didn't have any injury concerns in college. The problem with the pick imo is that White only had 1 year of good production in college. He basically relied on on superior athleticism to dominate college DBs and his game is not transitioning to the NFL. He looked lost most of the games he has played in. I think Grasu could be an okay back up, but nothing more. That's not really what you want out of your 3rd round picks.
That's fair enough and a good argument, still has a chance to be a success, if we find someone to consistently find him