Hub: John Fox probably gets year 4

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
On Bernstien and Goff yesterday Hub was being interviewed in hour 4 and he was asked about the leashes on Fox and Pace. He responded as we all think that Pace is going no where and that he will get a 2nd coach and all 5 years of his deal.

The interesting point came with Fox. Hub thought no matter what he has been promised a 4th year. His thinking was that with Alshon, the Bears best weapon, and Cutler being gone and the Bears starting over at the QB position with more than likely a rookie, how could Fox be expected to win more than 6 games next year.

To paraphrase: even in to year 3 they are still bottoming out.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I don't see how they're going to sell to the fans " keep your expectations low " any longer.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Hub could be right. Still, I'm not sure I buy into his theory. If Pace is going to get all 5 years of the contract and Fox is promised 4 years, Pace leaves very little room for failure in that 5th year. I can't see Pace waiting (wasting?) 80% of his contract to get a coach if Fox isn't successful. And, since Hub figures that the Bears will be playing a rookie in this year (something that could easily be debated) then I can't see why you either don't get rid of Fox now or just give him 5 years, too. Is a second year QB going to be able to go from a 4-6 win season to a 10+ win season in his second year? Possible but that means the defense needs to be really, really, really strong.

Is there any light at the end of this fucking tunnel?

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, Hub could be right. Still, I'm not sure I buy into his theory. If Pace is going to get all 5 years of the contract and Fox is promised 4 years, Pace leaves very little room for failure in that 5th year. I can't see Pace waiting (wasting?) 80% of his contract to get a coach if Fox isn't successful. And, since Hub figures that the Bears will be playing a rookie in this year (something that could easily be debated) then I can't see why you either don't get rid of Fox now or just give him 5 years, too. Is a second year QB going to be able to go from a 4-6 win season to a 10+ win season in his second year? Possible but that means the defense needs to be really, really, really strong.

So, lets assume Fox wins 10 games this season.. Does that reset his clock? What does Fox need to do this season to get off the hot seat?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The mediocrity continues. Once Fox gets canned for his usual incompetence, so will Pace.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
So, lets assume Fox wins 10 games this season.. Does that reset his clock? What does Fox need to do this season to get off the hot seat?

Keep finger banging McCaskeys I guess

Luke

Liked Posts:
oh, and the Bears should get at least a 5th for Jay

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
oh, and the Bears should get at least a 5th for Jay

I actually think they can get a late round pick because his contract has no guarantees left.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Draft a QB. I'll sit through another shit season or two if the payoff is watching the Bears develop the QB of the future.

Yes I would rather the Bears take a shot at a QB & let Fox hang around for a 4th year then to dodge investing in a young QB.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
On Bernstien and Goff yesterday Hub was being interviewed in hour 4 and he was asked about the leashes on Fox and Pace. He responded as we all think that Pace is going no where and that he will get a 2nd coach and all 5 years of his deal.

The interesting point came with Fox. Hub thought no matter what he has been promised a 4th year. His thinking was that with Alshon, the Bears best weapon, and Cutler being gone and the Bears starting over at the QB position with more than likely a rookie, how could Fox be expected to win more than 6 games next year.

To paraphrase: even in to year 3 they are still bottoming out.

The problem with Hub and its a big ass problem is that mixed in with some decent insights is his drama queen side that taps into and stirs up the anger of Bear fans toward the team and especially mgmt and ownership.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
The problem with Hub and its a big ass problem is that mixed in with some decent insights is his drama queen side that taps into and stirs up the anger of Bear fans toward the team and especially mgmt and ownership.

Who needs Hub to stir anger towards the front office? They do that fine themselves by being completely inept and out of the playoffs every year. Not that i'm a fan of Hub, but I think the team would be better off if it had more local media criticism, not less. As it is they preemptively offer every excuse in the book for the Bears FO (see this thread), and adopt the team's low expectations at every opportunity.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yeah, there is a light and it is the proverbial train coming in from the opposite direction:(

Start the head coach search right now as well as the Offensive coordinator job and put Fox on notice .
I'd fire Fox for anything less than an 8-8 record and a viable quarterback position in both the short term and long term.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
The Bears are still like the Cubs in year 1 of their total rebuild...you need SOMEONE to coach the team, so who really cares if its John Fox/Dale Sveum?

Which would be fine......if only it weren't year 3 of this rebuild.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears only win five games in 2017 because the QB Pace goes all in on struggles in Year One...so be it.

If the Bears only win five games in 2017 due to horrific game planning by the coaching staff and overall stagnation of the development of any talent on the roster...you let Pace blow it up and get someone in here that can get his roster back into the playoffs. Contract or not.

(Maybe let Fox "retire")

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

That is a big assumption but, yes, if Fox pulls out 10 wins this year he's coach of the fucking year (not really but....). I think the arrow has to be pointing up in an obvious way. I think the general consense has to be, "The Bears will be a clear contender in 18. The QB situation has to have some clarity. They need to beat some good teams. I think if the arrow points up, sure give him a 4th year without question. But obvious progress has to be made.

They can't fuck up the QB position, if they don't re-sign AJ they need to have an answer at WR, the secondary has to be shored up, and there has to be hope, to the degree possible, even for the haters. A lot of it, I guess, isn't really up to Fox as Pace has a lot of control over a lot of these situations but coaches generally go before GMs.