Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
At the end of the day, Nintendo really just needs a machine that will run its first party titles while not being a pain in the ass for 3rd party devs to work with. Thats all they fucking have to do and the shit will sell like hotcakes.

With the switch, the portability is cool and maybe a huge deal for some people in rarer situations. But I can't help feeling like maybe they sacrificed too much for portability. Like in their obsession with hardware innovation they kinda lost sight of the most basic purpose of a game system.

Its a shame cause I feel like if Nintendo built a modern, no frills console that was easy to develop for, the shit would be an instant hit. I for one am very interested in a modern Nintendo console but just am not interested at all in paying for the secondary shit like portability or motion controls or touchscreen, etc...

The problem I have is that the portability is enough of a separation characteristic combined with the touch screen capabilities. Why pile on the motion control gimmicks that no one has given two fucks about in seven years? Another problem is that what we consider a no-frills console (Xbox One, PS4) costs money to manufacture and develop, especially in the initial stages. I know you and others here already know this, but those corporations sell their consoles at a loss. Nintendo has never sold a home console at a negative profit, though it came close with the Wii U due to the godawful tablet controller so the head honchos at Nintendo of Japan have conducted cost analysis and concluded the last ten years that controller, touch screen, and portability gimmicks cost less than enhancing graphical, sound, and online capability.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well it doesn't help that they are salvaging a 2014 mobile SoC for a 2017 console. Nintendo chose the wrong hardware partner or the wrong chipset in a market that is saturated with faster and cheaper ARM CPUs. IMO if they worked the deal to use Tegra P1s instead of X1s, then the hardware performance complaint would be nullified easily because of the 'special class' this console belongs to(hybrid portable). The PS4 and XB1 were 2013 consoles, they used 2013 nodes on 2013 subarchitectures. I can't say this enough from a tech standpoint. A 2017 release, but a 2014 subarchitecture. More than two years apart.
Basically, Nintendo got suckered into buying nVidias failing scraps. Same happened to Microsoft and Sony at some point. I don't know why they didn't learn from the mistakes of others.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know if its true, but it kinda feels like nintendo cheaped out on the switch kinda big time. I mean the shit storage, shit wifi, half rate screens with pixel problems and no gorilla glass, transmitters in controllers that are overpowered by wireless routers, etc...

I don't know if nintendo got duped by nvidia as much as they bought the old scrap chips on a discount. I don't know.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMtI%2bQ06EiAoG7KIAStZwlwJmuPZLkHFY/s=

I have an advance order on 4 of these for a different project. It's the same line of BGA153 eMMC used in the Switch, only the 128GB chip, not the 32GB.
This is a solid line of eMMC. They can run in series, and with the X1 SoC, the Switch could be hacked to use 256GB of storage on one bus line. Also the way the Switch is built, could be piggybacked for dual bios capability in a way that you can just load up Shield games and emulators.

I don't want to buy a switch ONLY to test this specifically, but I suspect sometime by the end of the year, I'll actually try it, if no one else beats me to it. I already want to salvage some of the replacement parts on the joycons for other projects.

At the end of the day, this is going to be a lot of fun to hack.

Long story short, I went ahead and ordered one. Zelda and HZD in a month.. GAH! WELL EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME PRINCESS

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I can't wait to get back to HZD now lol.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goddammit, I really want to play zelda, but $300 just seems like so much for the switch. You guys think it will drop to $250 at xmas? Fuck, thats a long time to wait.