2b 2018

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Amen. I'm not sure people understand just how rare a hitting talent Schwarber is. I've been a baseball fan for close to 5 decades and I've only seen a handful of guys with a swing as near perfect as Kyle's with the strength to hit for serious HR power and those guys have names like Aaron, Griffey and Thomas. If I were to guess I would say if the Cubs found the pitcher they wanted and the other club wanted Rizzo or Schwarber I think they'd trade Rizzo. That's how good this kid's potential is.

The other amazing aspect is he was in the majors basically a year to the day he was drafted. That's quite rare. Bryant obviously an MVP and even if you assume they slow rolled him, he still took a half year longer to be ready.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There no doubt the kid has great hitting potential and all but we have yet to see it for a full season..

He started out hot when he came up in 2015 but tailed off alot in the final month where he hit under .200

All I'm saying is let see what he does for a full season first..
Plus
We need to see how he handles LF everyday for a full season

Let's just hope he better then Dave Kingman out there ��

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

A couple of points. Schwarber's numbers decline in 2015 was pretty typical for a kid a year out of college from both a fatigue and experience standpoint and frankly it's possible, after a year of injury, that you may see some late season fatigue from him this year but I don't think you'll see adjustment issues. He's a student of the game and although he was hurt he's seen MLB baseball now. Also when I see that pretty a swing I don't worry much about production, especially with his plate discipline. He'll produce. As far as LF all he has to be is slightly below average and he has the athleticism to do that, it's not like he's Adam Dunn bad out there and he's a way better and more complete hitter. The wild card here is injuries. One more substantial lower body injury and he's likely a DH, but he's not there yet and until he is I think he's a star even on an NL team. The Cubs are said to think he is a better hitter with more growth potential than Kris Bryant as an offensive player and I agree with them.

Back to the point of the thread, with guys like Baez, Russell and Almora on this team I see Happ as a trade chip and a good one. Injuries and regression could change that but until those things happen I see him in another uniform in the not too distant future.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
probably be able to get one for Baez as well. Best case, Baez to 3B, Happ to second Bryant in right, Heywood, gone.

Even better case, see if Happ can play third. I am hoping Schwarber is catching 40=50 games in 2018 when Montero leaves.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Heyward has an untradable contract and wont opt out, yet you people are projecting he wont be here in 2018

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Most likely:

Montero and Jay leave. They add Happ and Victor Caratini. If they do any trades it should involve Jeimer Candelario and Mark Zagunis. Those 2 are expendable.

Most likely they end up subtracting playing time from Zo and add to Happ. It is a natural transition with Happ profiling as a young lead off.

The best case would have been if Happ would have profiled as a CF. That would have been the ideal spot post Fowler and a natural fit on this team. With Almora being the heir to CF they have to adjust.

So I'm seeing Happ added when the rosters expand unless a injury forces his promotion early. There is no reason to rush him and their is no position to toss him into right now. When Jay leaves it creates a opportunity to fill Jay's role as a depth lead off. With Zo a year older it opens more playing time in Zo's role. I believe it will become a transition process vs a take over.

So most likely Happ will spend 2 years in transition and will take over for Zo towards the end of his contract.

As far as Kyle. Right now there is nothing to discuss. He is the starting LF. When we get to the point that they are looking at the tax thresh hold they will end up having to make some tough decisions. If Kyle is a 40 HR bat per year they will pay him. But if paying him puts them over the tax you never know what direction they end up taking.

As it is they may not pay Jake and he pulled in a CY and was the best starter in the WS. Even thought he down graded last year he still is a big game pitcher and is a team ace in the league. And the did not lock him up. So it is a factor looking ahead. I doubt they will end up paying out 2 mega deals to Bryant and Kyle.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
probably be able to get one for Baez as well. Best case, Baez to 3B, Happ to second Bryant in right, Heywood, gone.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with Heyward. I really don't see how they can keep Bryant/Boras long term. I see them keeping Schwarber and eventually moving him to 1st.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately, we are stuck with Heyward. I really don't see how they can keep Bryant/Boras long term. I see them keeping Schwarber and eventually moving him to 1st.
So..
You're moving both Rizzo and Bryant to keep Schwarber to play 1B and Heyward?????????????????????

You a Sox fan or Cardinal fan

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
As has been pointed out ad nauseum Heyward is likely not tradeable for a few years and then dependent how well his playing and how much money someone thinks he is worth so it's kind of pointless to discuss. As far as Rizzo goes, if push came to shove and either he or Schwarber had to be moved for a pitcher I would trade Rizzo. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see him gone and don't really think he will be but of the Cubs hitters he could make himself the most expendable. Of those players only Schwarber and Rizzo lack positional flexibility and I strongly believe that Schwarber will be a much better hitter than Rizzo. Anthony is a great player but Kyle has the potential to be one of the best hitters of his generation.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

when Bryant and Rizzo are up for deals, there might be a 40 million dollar man in Trout. Rizzo signed a real friendly deal that kept him away from these embarrassing deals that Bryant will be looking at the next few years. I really don't think Happ should spend any more time at 2b in AAA, he should be leading off in center field. I like Javy either at third or second, but this tag stuff is probably going to keep him in the middle. Someone is going to have to go.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
when Bryant and Rizzo are up for deals, there might be a 40 million dollar man in Trout. Rizzo signed a real friendly deal that kept him away from these embarrassing deals that Bryant will be looking at the next few years. I really don't think Happ should spend any more time at 2b in AAA, he should be leading off in center field. I like Javy either at third or second, but this tag stuff is probably going to keep him in the middle. Someone is going to have to go.

Happ could fill in at CF if needed but he will never have the defense required there. He just doesn't have the dexterity, especially with his feet, that is required at the position.

czman

Liked Posts:
Happ could fill in at CF if needed but he will never have the defense required there. He just doesn't have the dexterity, especially with his feet, that is required at the position.

He doesn't have the foot dexterity to play CF? Can you please explain that.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone say that footwork in the CF is harder than at 2b or takes more foot dexterity.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He doesn't have the foot dexterity to play CF? Can you please explain that.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone say that footwork in the CF is harder than at 2b or takes more foot dexterity.

They require a different set of skills. The Cubs were not sure that Happ could develop the pivot at 2B but he's gotten much better at it even if he won't ever be an elite defender. In the outfield there is the speed element followed by a more open style of pivot required to throw. The Cubs moved him off CF immediately because they didn't feel he could do it successfully. What it comes down to is athleticism and as an OF the Cubs have him pegged as a corner OF. Cubs Den has done some pretty good scouting on Happ over the last 2 years if you go looking for it. Honestly I haven't seen him play live so I'm just posting about what I've heard and read.

czman

Liked Posts:
Speed for CF is one thing. Foot dexterity is not speed. Throwing from the OF is much easier to teach and perform than turning the double play from 2b, assuming the arms is there.

I am not buying your foot dexterity at all. He may be slow for CF. If a professional stated he did not have the foot dexterity for CF, then we know why he is writing for an online source and not working for a team.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
As has been pointed out ad nauseum Heyward is likely not tradeable for a few years and then dependent how well his playing and how much money someone thinks he is worth so it's kind of pointless to discuss. As far as Rizzo goes, if push came to shove and either he or Schwarber had to be moved for a pitcher I would trade Rizzo. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see him gone and don't really think he will be but of the Cubs hitters he could make himself the most expendable. Of those players only Schwarber and Rizzo lack positional flexibility and I strongly believe that Schwarber will be a much better hitter than Rizzo. Anthony is a great player but Kyle has the potential to be one of the best hitters of his generation.
Trade Rizzo????

You rather keep a guy who hit .245 with 270 AB and probably Avg at best playing 1B..
Over
Anthony frickn Rizzo

Are you a sox or Cardinal fan..lol

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Trade Rizzo????

You rather keep a guy who hit .245 with 270 AB and probably Avg at best playing 1B..
Over
Anthony frickn Rizzo

Are you a sox or Cardinal fan..lol

Again, Rizzo is a great player no question about that, but a swing like Schwarber's comes along once, maybe twice in a generation. If he reaches his full potential he will be the best hitter on the team by a decent margin. You keep throwing out Schwarber's rookie stats like that should matter, watch his swing and then go look at the swing's of Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey Jr. and even Hank Aaron and tell me that you don't see something seriously special in Schwarber. Is it a guarantee that he reaches that level? Of course not, but I wouldn't bet against it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Again, Rizzo is a great player no question about that, but a swing like Schwarber's comes along once, maybe twice in a generation. If he reaches his full potential he will be the best hitter on the team by a decent margin. You keep throwing out Schwarber's rookie stats like that should matter, watch his swing and then go look at the swing's of Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey Jr. and even Hank Aaron and tell me that you don't see something seriously special in Schwarber. Is it a guarantee that he reaches that level? Of course not, but I wouldn't bet against it.
I keep bringing up his rookie year because that all we really have to look at for him..his 280 AB

I'm m not dismissing Schwarber potential based on what he shown he capable of ..

Just not ready to call him great or say I'm willing to move a GG MVP caliber player for him based on potential.

Also
As far as salary concerned as someone was worried about paying
Schwarber Bryant and Rizzo

Schwarber and Bryant are both locked in and under team control til 2022, so they have 5 years to work on extension deals with them ..

Rizzo will be a FA after 2022 when he'll turn 32, so they have 5 more years with him.

Point is, they have at least 3 years before they need to think about future payroll with them....

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I keep bringing up his rookie year because that all we really have to look at for him..his 280 AB

I'm m not dismissing Schwarber potential based on what he shown he capable of ..

Just not ready to call him great or say I'm willing to move a GG MVP caliber player for him based on potential.

Also
As far as salary concerned as someone was worried about paying
Schwarber Bryant and Rizzo

Schwarber and Bryant are both locked in and under team control til 2022, so they have 5 years to work on extension deals with them ..

Rizzo will be a FA after 2022 when he'll turn 32, so they have 5 more years with him.

Point is, they have at least 3 years before they need to think about future payroll with them....

Really....you don't go breaking up your core to add a pitcher or anyone for that matter, its counter productive. It's like the Hawks trading Kane or Toews to get a goalie. You just don't do it. You pay them, they've earned it. You're exactly right. They don't have to worry about this for a few years and by the time they do, we're all gonna have to be millionaires to afford to go to a game anyway.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
From "trade Schwarber" to "trade Rizzo."

This thread is a race to the bottom.