Bears Sign Cunningham

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
By golly, you're right. Bears are bound to win 1 or 2 more games than they did last season. Off season success!!

Probably not. We are still terrible but I can't be arsed to complain about decent depth signings when there are way more important things to worry about.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Short term deals on fairly young players are a great way to see if a player might pan out. See if he fits with the team with a change of scenery. They won't all work out of course. But sometimes guys end up being a lot better on a different team. They are easier to extend to a decent contract. They often feel their success is tied to the team giving them another chance.

Guys like Tim Jennings, Wilie Young, Zach Miller were fairly low dollar signings that no one really cared about at the time, but they ended up playing well and got extensions.

At this point its a necessity because they can't possibly draft every upgrade.

CNiel36

Liked Posts:
Y'all need to get some Prozac. This signing will be for peanuts, and gives us a replacement for Langford. You all complain about how bad Langford is, then bitch when the Bears sign a player with similar skills sets that is better and can replace him. Which one is it?

There is no pleasing some of you. At this point in FA these are the signings we are going to get.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Out of interest, typically how much does it cost the Bears to sign a guy like this and then cut him before the season starts - i.e not make the final roster? Is he entitled to a certain percentage of his contract or an element of guaranteed money, like a signing bonus?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Good signing. solid complimentary back, good in the passing game.

Liked Posts:
Why not just sign two or three very good impact players instead of 6 or 7 scrap heap dumpster diving trash players that mostly likely will have little to no impact on the team?

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not just sign two or three very good impact players instead of 6 or 7 scrap heap dumpster diving trash players that mostly likely will have little to no impact on the team?

There is a part of me that honestly believes that Pace wants Fox gone and isn't try to literally buy him a 8-8 team. It's admittedly a small part of me but I'm hopeful that's case. Seems like Pace is once again setting himself up with a lot dough for the next offseason and he'll eventually have to cash in.

As far as Cunningham goes… I like the signing. He's a good passing down back and a solid KR. He could be a nice compliment to Howard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

So the Bears should only sign impact players instead of depth players? Or should they blow their cap on guys who cost way more to get them back to 8-8 with a bunch of 1-2 year contracts? Who could the Bears have signed this offseason that would have catapulted them out of mediocrity?

If you're just bitching to bitch... my bad... carry on.

Liked Posts:
So the Bears should only sign impact players instead of depth players? Or should they blow their cap on guys who cost way more to get them back to 8-8 with a bunch of 1-2 year contracts? Who could the Bears have signed this offseason that would have catapulted them out of mediocrity?

If you're just bitching to bitch... my bad... carry on.

You wish the Bears were mediocre, the Bears are bad, Cleveland Browns bad.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree... I think they will be mediorcre this year...

lol I laugh to hide the tears...

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another positive, after years of Bears GMs overpaying for back ups to Forte we have a GM who gets value for money as a back up to Howard, whats not to like ??

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

You really think signing special teamers like this guy has ANY effect on our ability to sign the good impact players as you say? Every team signs guys like this. There's always cap space for bottom of the roster guys like this. Pace missed on the big name guys because he didn't want to meet their salary or they didn't want to come here. But that's totally unrelated to signing special teams players/backups like whats happening now.

Liked Posts:
You really think signing special teamers like this guy has ANY effect on our ability to sign the good impact players as you say? Every team signs guys like this. There's always cap space for bottom of the roster guys like this. Pace missed on the big name guys because he didn't want to meet their salary or they didn't want to come here. But that's totally unrelated to signing special teams players/backups like whats happening now.

Pace didn't pay for the big name guys and yet he overpaid for the players he picked from the dumpster that no one else wanted. Gilmore wanted to come here but Pace wasn't serious with his offer.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would most definitely take Carey over Langford.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I really don't see the negative with this signing. Cheap RB who can return kicks, give Howard some rest, and pick up passing duties. It's a depth signing, not sure why everyone is so up in arms about it. You're not going to be signing any big names this late in FA.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace didn't pay for the big name guys and yet he overpaid for the players he picked from the dumpster that no one else wanted. Gilmore wanted to come here but Pace wasn't serious with his offer.

I tend to agree on Gilmore but you acted like we had a choice.... A few big name guys or several dumpster guys. Fact is we had plenty of money to do both. The signing of the dumpster guys didn't effect Pace's ability to go after guys like Gilmore. Pace just had a number that he didn't want to go over.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
My problem with all these one year signings is they are basically useless. What are we doing this year? Nothing. Does this help our future? Nope.

Useless?? Players on one year contracts will play harder than players on 4/5 year contracts cause they're playing for a new contract. Not useless at all.