Bears Sign Cunningham

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So my question is this, what are his downsides? I watched the highlights and he seems to have some game. Why wasn't he starting for the Rams before they drafted Gurley?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So my question is this, what are his downsides? I watched the highlights and he seems to have some game. Why wasn't he starting for the Rams before they drafted Gurley?

Rams used a RBBC with Cunningham, Zac Stacy, Tre Mason and Tavon Austin.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Year 1 he was an undrafted small school FA so just earning a roster spot was pretty impressive. Year 2 the Rams drafted Tre Mason in the 3rd so obviously he was shuffled behind the draft pick, and then they go Gurley. I don't think anyone thinks he's a feature back or anything, but he looks to definitely have potential as a complimentary back.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I know you love everything Pace does but thats ridiculous. Can't give credit based on rumors. Credit is due based on results. So far the QB he has actually brought in is Glennon not Mariota or Wentz and that says a lot about his QB evaluations and not in a good way.

What's ridiculous is how you suggest Pace should have signed both QB's that were drafted before the Bears picked?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Jenkins > Sutton, Unrein
A guy would have to really be shitty to be worse than Unrein:(
Well, Hawk...

First of all (about Peter's post), Jenkins is a 359 lbs 3-4-NT, and Unrein is a 290 lbs DE -- sharply different positions, completely non-interchangeable. Might as well write, 'Jenkins > Trevathan'.

Secondly, I wouldn't say Unrein is shitty... unless every player that isn't All-pro is shitty... I like to include a few categories in between. Unrein has been a fairly effective rotational DE for the Bears last 2 yrs. Second most Tackles for DEs (next to Hicks), 26 Tackles and 1 Sack. Bit more Tackles per snap (.06) than C. Washington (.05), but interestingly about the same rate as Bullard.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
What's ridiculous is how you suggest Pace should have signed both QB's that were drafted before the Bears picked?

Where did I suggest that? My point was you can't claim he can evaluate QBs based on rumors and not the actual results.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Well, Hawk...

First of all (about Peter's post), Jenkins is a 359 lbs 3-4-NT, and Unrein is a 290 lbs DE -- sharply different positions, completely non-interchangeable. Might as well write, 'Jenkins > Trevathan'.

Secondly, I wouldn't say Unrein is shitty... unless every player that isn't All-pro is shitty... I like to include a few categories in between. Unrein has been a fairly effective rotational DE for the Bears last 2 yrs. Second most Tackles for DEs (next to Hicks), 26 Tackles and 1 Sack. Bit more Tackles per snap (.06) than C. Washington (.05), but interestingly about the same rate as Bullard.

I don't necessarily think Unrein is shitty but he is pretty unremarkable. Sutton is just undersized to play NT if Goldman gets hurt. Jenkins at least plugs a gap if Goldman's out and you then have the option of sticking Jenkins in the middle and bumping Goldman outside. To me...

Hicks, Jenkins, Goldman > Hicks, Goldman, Unrein

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
He sometimes smells like peanut butter. Judge if you must.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don't necessarily think Unrein is shitty but he is pretty unremarkable. Sutton is just undersized to play NT if Goldman gets hurt. Jenkins at least plugs a gap if Goldman's out and you then have the option of sticking Jenkins in the middle and bumping Goldman outside. To me...

Hicks, Jenkins, Goldman > Hicks, Goldman, Unrein
I agree. I like the Jenkins signing.

We have a 3-4 Defense, but have really not carried a true 3-4 sized NT. Goldman at 320lbs is, but Sutton (6'0" 297lbs) is/was really a 4-3 UT (pass-rushing DT). Sutton has under performed as a pass-rusher, but has been at least an average run defender at NT... which for the Bears last 3 years has been a godsend.

I don't think it's helped his career being positioned at 3-4 NT. He doesn't really fit at 3-4 DE either. He would benefit from a trade to a 4-3 D team, but doesn't have the tape to tempt.

I'm still hoping Sutton can improve. He's an intriguing DL talent, but he's on his last draft year, and really needs to show a lot more to stick around.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Bye bye Langford...

Told you guys he was hot trash, but the meatballs loved him.