Malik Hooker vs. Jamal Adams

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love Jamal Adams as most on here do. He does everything well, whether it be run support or coverage downfield. He's a true leader and the hardest worker on the field. He lays it all on the line game in and game out. He is absolutely worthy of being a top 15 pick in the upcoming draft...just not at #3. That spot is reserved for Malik Hooker.

JbSbBo.gif

Malik Hooker is very special in that he is not like most safeties. Unlike Jamal Adams, who is just an elite version of a traditional safety. No, Hooker is not great in run support. At times he takes bad angles and runs around recklessly. On the other hand, Jamal Adams thrives in run support. Rarely if ever you will run by him. Sometimes, he's even too conservative in that he allows the runner to gain a few more yards. But what Hooker lacks in run support, he makes up for in coverage.

3RLPL0.gif

Adams is very good in coverage. He's very responsible and will not give up the big play. But there is one absolute factor that decides a football game. And that is turnovers. You win the turnover battle, you most likely win the game. And that is what Hooker provides. At any given moment, Hooker has the capability of changing the outcome. And that is not something you can just learn in practice.

2M-Zxf.gif

Malik Hooker is a very rare breed, a shutdown saftety. Much like a shutdown corner eliminates a WR, Hooker eliminates an entire part of the field. He must be accounted for before every snap. He keeps QB's up at night. They have to locate him before every single snap of the football. Coaches have to game plan around him. They design plays to avoid him.

uq0uD0.gif

And as hard as coaches and QB's try to circumvent the Malik Hooker problem, he still possesses the athleticism and instincts to destroy game plans. He has range that may have never been seen before. His height and length is beyond ideal. His hands are massive. He can outjump anyone. He is like playing Deion Sanders in Techmo Super Bowl, in that he can move from one side of the field to the other in a flash.

QzNTKV.gif

In conclusion, there is no doubt that Jamal Adams is an elite traditional safety. But is he a game changer? Do teams have to game plan around him? Does he keep coaches/QB's up at night? Malik Hooker is something much more than a "safety". He's not out there to just prevent the big play, he's out there to make the big play.

oskBPA.gif

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love Jamal Adams as most on here do. He does everything well, whether it be run support or coverage downfield. He's a true leader and the hardest worker on the field. He lays it all on the line game in and game out. He is absolutely worthy of being a top 15 pick in the upcoming draft...just not at #3. That spot is reserved for Malik Hooker.

JbSbBo.gif

Malik Hooker is very special in that he is not like most safeties. Unlike Jamal Adams, who is just an elite version of a traditional safety. No, Hooker is not great in run support. At times he takes bad angles and runs around recklessly. On the other hand, Jamal Adams thrives in run support. Rarely if ever you will run by him. Sometimes, he's even too conservative in that he allows the runner to gain a few more yards. But what Hooker lacks in run support, he makes up for in coverage.

3RLPL0.gif

Adams is very good in coverage. He's very responsible and will not give up the big play. But there is one absolute factor that decides a football game. And that is turnovers. You win the turnover battle, you most likely win the game. And that is what Hooker provides. At any given moment, Hooker has the capability of changing the outcome. And that is not something you can just learn in practice.

2M-Zxf.gif

Malik Hooker is a very rare breed, a shutdown saftety. Much like a shutdown corner eliminates a WR, Hooker eliminates an entire part of the field. He must be accounted for before every snap. He keeps QB's up at night. They have to locate him before every single snap of the football. Coaches have to game plan around him. They design plays to avoid him.

uq0uD0.gif

And as hard as coaches and QB's try to circumvent the Malik Hooker problem, he still possesses the athleticism and instincts to destroy game plans. He has range that may have never been seen before. His height and length is beyond ideal. His hands are massive. He can outjump anyone. He is like playing Deion Sanders in Techmo Super Bowl, in that he can move from one side of the field to the other in a flash.

QzNTKV.gif

In conclusion, there is no doubt that Jamal Adams is an elite traditional safety. But is he a game changer? Do teams have to game plan around him? Does he keep coaches/QB's up at night? Malik Hooker is something much more than a "safety". He's not out there to just prevent the big play, he's out there to make the big play.

oskBPA.gif

Malik Hooker is a special player however his injuries concern me. But I agree Malik Hooker is a top 5 talent.

DarkKalel

Liked Posts:
Agreed. I'd take the chance on Hooker (despite injuries ). He is definitely a game changer who hasn't reached his full potential. His ability to cover is unique. He may not be the leader that Adams is currently. But his ability combined with a strong front 7 would truly elevate this defense. Stopping the run is key, and Pace has attempted some additions to improve both the starter and reserve players ability to do so. But finding run stoppers , traditionally is not as difficult as finding someone who can adversely affect the passing game.

QB, thomas or hooker at pick #3. /Mid -1st round trade down- OJ howard / Lower part of 1st round - Mccaffrey

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-hooker?id=2558060

Malik Hooker

He's the ultimate lurker. His instincts are always bringing him to the football and when he gets there he has the ball skills to take it away. His lack of game experience and issues with tackle consistency will likely show themselves early in his career, but his ability to flip the field is worthy of an aggressive projection. He has the talent to be a high-impact starter for years in the NFL.

-Lance Zierlein

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jamal-adams?id=2557979

Jamal Adams

"The people who have been at that program the longest think he might be the best leader LSU has had in years. He's a no-doubt first-rounder. He can play all over the field and he could have an immediate impact on defense just like Landon Collins did coming out. I love him. I think he's a winner." - AFC area scout

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
Agree with OP. I do not want Adams at 3 as he doesn't produce enough splash plays.

If we go defense at 3, it should be Hooker, Thomas, or maybe even Lattimore.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
The defense last year was actually decent last year in terms of opponent yardage. Where we failed was in forcing turnovers.

A ballhawk like Hooker is obviously the best choice to rectify that.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
One of the few legitimate Blue chip prospects in this class. Some of his unteachable traits are as good as anyone who's ever played the position.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Hookers range and ball skills are incredible.

When you consider Pace seems to like upside and physical attributes in the 1st (White and Floyd), it would not surprise me if he was the pick over Adams. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Hooker has Ed Reed type potential.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
One thing that people do not mention about Hooker is that he had 40 interceptions in 2015 against the 1st team during practice. Sure, people will say that it was just practice, but 40 interceptions is pretty incredible.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm a Hooker guy but it's hard not to be satisfied here.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I want Hooker but that's tempered by who was throwing. I hated Cook. Scared me when 3 teams were trading for him in 4. So glad we lost that one.

Hooker had zero interceptions against Cook in practice, seeing that Hooker is from Ohio State and Cook is Michigan State, but your point is still valid with Cardale Jones and JT Barrett as QBs in 2015.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Can we really argue? Just get 1 safety in the first 2 rounds and i'll be happy

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hooker had zero interceptions against Cook in practice, seeing that Hooker is from Ohio State and Cook is Michigan State, but your point is still valid with Cardale Jones and JT Barrett as QBs in 2015.

Brain fart. Leave this up but I'm going to delete my post. Not because I don't own it :facepalm: but I know it will keep getting corrected.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
From Matt Bowen (former NFL safety) from ESPN:

Watched tape of LSU safety Jamal Adams -- Love the way he plays the game. Natural instincts on the field. High football IQ. Tough. And he leads by example. Adams plays much faster than his stopwatch speed (4.56 40-yard dash). I see very little wasted movement with his footwork too. That shows up in his run reads. Quick downhill to close the distance to the ball carrier. And he finishes tackles. Adams also has the technique and coverage ability to match up to the slot. The skill set is there to play multiple roles in defensive sub-packages at the NFL level. If Adams can post a 40 time at his Pro Day in the low 4.5 range, I think he has the talent to come off the board in the Top 5 of the draft. He's the type of impact safety that coaches want in the secondary.

Matt Bowen, ESPN Staff Writer

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Knowing our luck... some how Hooker falls all the way to the Packers.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Trubisky and Garret are gone I would be very happy if Pace drafts Hooker. Hooker and a CB like Sydney Jones or even Kevin King in round 3 would make our secondary a strength. I would think we would have a top 10 D.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Given that last year we had no true FS to start, and the rest were rather underwhelming at SS, I can be pleased with either Adams or Hooker. Adams's floor is a good SS, there is no reason to expect that he cant grow to be even better at deep coverage to play FS. Hooker is made out of splash plays in a way that will show up early - he is a classic boom or... not boom for a few years while he learns how to tackle like a professional.

Both will upgrade over last year. I cannot rely on a journeyman FA to cover our bases on the back end, at some point in this draft a safety is a must.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
If Trubisky and Garret are gone I would be very happy if Pace drafts Hooker. Hooker and a CB like Sydney Jones or even Kevin King in round 3 would make our secondary a strength. I would think we would have a top 10 D.

Bears were top 10 in passing yards last year and 1 sack away from being top 10 in sacks. Top 10 in scoring, now that would be nice to see again.

MidwestMonster2

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hooker is a once in a generation FS talent. His hip labrum injury is concerning especially with the Bears history of drafting damaged goods. However he is so damn talented and to have a ball hawk FS for the next 10 years is worth the risk. I'd still take him at #3.