What I Think Happens Mock Draft

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL. And what is it that makes you believe that Ryan Pace "feels the pressure". Looking at the free agency period so far, it looks like quite the opposite. Pace looks like a guy that is confident in his system. There is absolutely no reason to believe he will shy away from it now and not just pick the most talented BPA at #3 rather than the safe pick.

Because the 7th pick in the draft from 2 years ago is an injured bust.

Go 1/3 on top 10 picks and see what happens.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Thanks Windy.

I don't think they'll trade back up into the 2nd round.

I'd be surprised if Pace drafts a safety (not named Hooker) at 3.

If Garrett and Thomas are gone and there is no trade back I'd prefer Marshon Lattimore and then Obi Melifonwu and then hope that either Nathan Peterman or Davis Webb are available in the 3rd.

If Garrett and Thomas are gone I hope Pace likes a QB. I hope he likes a QB anyway in the 1st and if not and the two OLBs are gone then I pray for a trade back.

What I'd be happy with.....

Deshaun Watson (QB), Obi Melifonwu (SS), Antonio Garcia (OT), Jake Butt (TE), Carlos Henderson (WR), Brendan Langley (CB), Zane Gonzalez (K)

or

Deshaun Watson (QB), Obi Melifonwu (SS) or Marcus Williams (FS), Antonio Garcia (OT), Akhello Witherspoon (CB), Carlos Henderson (WR), George Kittle (TE), Zane Gonzalez (K)

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Immediate starter at #3 (Allen/Thomas/Adams/Hooker)
and QB of the future at #36 (Trubisky/Watson/Kizer/Mahomes)
would be a best option for Bears, IMO.

I think everyone would get behind that but i'm not sure any of those 4 QB's make it to 36 and definitely not Watson or Trubisky but that would be best case if we could come away with one of the four you have at each pick.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
It's really ashame about Hooker's injury because he's really more of the CF safety we need.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because the 7th pick in the draft from 2 years ago is an injured bust.

Go 1/3 on top 10 picks and see what happens.

I agree with this, but I also feel like,

Don't draft a top qb with 3 consecutive top 10 picks on a rebuilding team and see what happens

And

Have a rebuild that takes 5 years and see what happens (if the bears are bad enough to get a savior level qb next year, it is unlikely they are good enough to turn it around immediately)

Should also be very legitimate concerns for Mr Pace.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My ideal scenario, trade #3 to Carolina for #8 and #40.

Carolina jumps up for Solomon Thomas.

Bears select Watson at #8. With #36 and #40 they take the best secondary player available and get Watson a TE he can grow with.

If Pace pulls that off then everything negative I have said about him I take back. Its not entirely unrealistic.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace pulls that off then everything negative I have said about him I take back. Its not entirely unrealistic.

I think it's very possible assuming Thomas makes it past San Fran. Carolina could use him, Ron Rivera was at the pro day, and Carolina has an extra 2nd round pick this draft. On the value chart #3 to #8 is 800 points and #40 is about 550 points. Carolina could throw in a late round pick as well but I think #8 and #40 is enough regardless.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Ugh......

Where do you get the energy to keep doing these?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think it's very possible assuming Thomas makes it past San Fran. Carolina could use him, Ron Rivera was at the pro day, and Carolina has an extra 2nd round pick this draft. On the value chart #3 to #8 is 800 points and #40 is about 550 points. Carolina could throw in a late round pick as well but I think #8 and #40 is enough regardless.

Carolina could also use some serious OL help though. I could see them being happy with a top OT (Robinson, Bolles or Ramczyk) at 8.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carolina could also use some serious OL help though. I could see them being happy with a top OT (Robinson, Bolles or Ramczyk) at 8.

Yes but all those guys are a reach at #8. If they view Thomas as an elite player in their system I could see them make a move. They don't plan on drafting this early again for awhile and this might be the only time they are in reach of grabbing a difference maker at the top of the draft for the foreseeable future.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes but all those guys are a reach at #8. If they view Thomas as an elite player in their system I could see them make a move. They don't plan on drafting this early again for awhile and this might be the only time they are in reach of grabbing a difference maker at the top of the draft for the foreseeable future.

Is it a reach though? Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't paid much attention to the OT class since I didn't think the Bears would take a top one. I think in any given draft, a LT has to go in the top 10. It's one of the most important positions in the game. Is either of those 3 not worthy of a top ten pick? Normally if you want a beast LT, it takes a top 5 pick.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it a reach though? Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't paid much attention to the OT class since I didn't think the Bears would take a top one. I think in any given draft, a LT has to go in the top 10. It's one of the most important positions in the game. Is either of those 3 not worthy of a top ten pick? Normally if you want a beast LT, it takes a top 5 pick.

It's a historical bad class on paper. Not seeing any go in the top 10-15.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
I question the wisdom of taking a safety so high. Short of Ed Reed or Earl Thomas, I don't see many safeties with an impact worthy of such a high pick and even those guys weren't picked that high. There's only so much you can do 15 yards off the LOS, particularly on running downs.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be a little upset to not come away from this draft without one of the many talented TEs.

I'm also not a big fan of trading up for Peterman.

I'd rather trade back a little and come away with Trubs/Watson/Hooker/Adams (in that order) then use the the acquired picks to trade back up for Mahomes/Kizer/Obi/Peppers.

Say… CAR gives up 8, 40, and their 4th (we all know how much Pace loves 4th rd picks) and future pick(s) for 3.

[8] Hooker
*trade* 36 (540), 111 (72), 117(from CAR) (60) for 28 (660)
[28] Mahomes/Kizer

Come out of the1st round with a game changer at FS and a huge upside QB. Then we'd still have 40 and 67 to address TE and OLB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Peterman is nowhere near a 2nd round talent.

Why is it OK to over draft him but not Watson or Trubisky at 3 overall?

Point is you gotta reach for a qb no matter what, why not reach for the best in the class?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I question the wisdom of taking a safety so high. Short of Ed Reed or Earl Thomas, I don't see many safeties with an impact worthy of such a high pick and even those guys weren't picked that high. There's only so much you can do 15 yards off the LOS, particularly on running downs.

Watch Adams, he has an impact in the run game.

Safeties have become one of the more demanding positions on a defense. You have to be able to play the run as teams are in nickel so much and you need to be able to cover hyper athletic TEs 1 on 1 because you cannot always sub a coverage LB onto the field.