SuperDitkaMan's Nagy and Pace Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He's spending money on camp fodder, not on players that can make an impact.

Yes, that's exactly my point. Pace does spend the money. He isn't cheap.

He just spends it on a lot of guys who have no impact. For every Akiem Hicks we get an Eddie Royal and an Antrel Rolle.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will work. Went from the oldest to (one of the) youngest team in 2 seasons. Had absolutely zero talent on defense when he took over. He's completely stripping this thing down to the foundation, re-framing everything, putting it new plumbing, electric, and appliances. With that, comes a lot of debris, a lot of cleanup, a lot of eye sores, and a lot of work. But once its done, you're in an infinitely better situation. Sorry it hasn't worked out the way you wanted it to in 2 seasons, but he's doing this thing the right way and shortsighted, instant gratification type people will never understand that.

Who says it will work? How long will it take? I call BS. It's not working, not at all. If Glennon and Sanchez is your idea of "working" then I really don't know what else to say to you. Talent on Defense? What talent? Broken down has beens in the secondary, one crippled LB and another that pops Ped's? Floyd, who may or may not be able to make it through a full season, or Goldman, a good, but not great D-lineman? Where is all this "talent" you speak of? By the time Pace finally gets around to drafting a QB, most of these pieces will be long gone............

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Who says it will work? How long will it take? I call BS. It's not working, not at all. If Glennon and Sanchez is your idea of "working" then I really don't know what else to say to you. Talent on Defense? What talent? Broken down has beens in the secondary, one crippled LB and another that pops Ped's? Floyd, who may or may not be able to make it through a full season, or Goldman, a good, but not great D-lineman? Where is all this "talent" you speak of? By the time Pace finally gets around to drafting a QB, most of these pieces will be long gone............

They've gone from one of the worst defenses in history to middle of the road in two seasons. If you can't see the obvious improvements despite the injuries and total scheme change, I can't help you. It takes time to build from zero. This isn't a hard concept. It takes 2-3 years for draft picks, and you've already written them all off after 1-2.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They've gone from one of the worst defenses in history to middle of the road in two seasons. If you can't see the obvious improvements despite the injuries and total scheme change, I can't help you. It takes time to build from zero. This isn't a hard concept. It takes 2-3 years for draft picks, and you've already written them all off after 1-2.

I've already addressed this point, and your right it's not a hard concept. This theory that you have to get worse to get better is nothing but excuses and pure unadulterated bullshit. Yeah for the defense being slightly better at the expense of the offense, which is now an unadulterated disaster. Kudos to Pace! Progress!!!!!

gimmee a break

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

I say it will work. Who says it won't? You? One of us is wrong. You talk about Glennon and Sanchez like there isn't a draft next month. Pace is doing this rebuild the right way...something that hasn't been attempted by Bears brass ever. Let's give it more than 2 seasons to see how it works out. Especially considering Pace took over a joke of a roster. Old offensive talent, and zero pieces on defense. If you don't see any talent on defense, it's weird how they ranked in the middle after being last before Pace took over. And that's with a bunch of injuries and Pace not doing enough in the secondary last year. Not to mention, when your QBs turn the ball over left and right, it doesn't do any favors for your defense. But I guess if Pace spent a bunch of money on Gilmore/Bouye we would be contenders or something?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Yes, that's exactly my point. Pace does spend the money. He isn't cheap.

He just spends it on a lot of guys who have no impact. For every Akiem Hicks we get an Eddie Royal and an Antrel Rolle.

The best word for Pace's free agent strategy is "conscientious." Sure, Royal and Rolle didn't work out. Where are they today? Not on the team. He doesn't spend huge dollars on contracts that will hamstring the team in the future. Sure, he could have matched the Pats and gave Gilmore top of the market CB dollars. Where would that put the Bears? Out of the playoffs still....and by the time the Bears would be contenders, Gilmore's prime would be essentially wasted. Pace's free agent strategy is simple to understand. Fill holes, accumulate depth, and spend on young/high upside guys that you could shed their contracts if they don't work out in a season or two. Add franchise/playmakers through the draft and draft the BPA. It's a longer approach, but it's the smarter approach. Honestly not sure how people don't understand this concept.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say it will work. Who says it won't? You? One of us is wrong. You talk about Glennon and Sanchez like there isn't a draft next month. Pace is doing this rebuild the right way...something that hasn't been attempted by Bears brass ever.

How is that 2015 draft class looking so far? Building through the draft, how long does that take when you average 2......maybe three players of starter level NFL talent? Do the math. Not to mention Pace has shown no ability to retain talent once their rookie contracts are up. Many want the Bears to Draft secondary with the #1 pick. I guess that means the three picks we made last year are all busts?

Let's give it more than 2 seasons to see how it works out.

At which case the rest of you will finally see the dismal failure that is Ryan Pace, then we can get a new GM and give him five years. Rinse/Lather/repeat.

Especially considering Pace took over a joke of a roster. Old offensive talent, and zero pieces on defense. If you don't see any talent on defense, it's weird how they ranked in the middle after being last before Pace took over.
Unlike you, I am not going to get all hot and sweaty over a middling defense. For very step forward the defense took, the offense took a step back. That is not progress, it's borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

And that's with a bunch of injuries and Pace not doing enough in the secondary last year. Not to mention, when your QBs turn the ball over left and right, it doesn't do any favors for your defense. But I guess if Pace spent a bunch of money on Gilmore/Bouye we would be contenders or something?

He would have at least added some talent worth retaining, rather then this dumpster diving class of nobody FA's he brought in this year.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The best word for Pace's free agent strategy is "conscientious." Sure, Royal and Rolle didn't work out. Where are they today? Not on the team. He doesn't spend huge dollars on contracts that will hamstring the team in the future. Sure, he could have matched the Pats and gave Gilmore top of the market CB dollars. Where would that put the Bears? Out of the playoffs still....and by the time the Bears would be contenders, Gilmore's prime would be essentially wasted. Pace's free agent strategy is simple to understand. Fill holes, accumulate depth, and spend on young/high upside guys that you could shed their contracts if they don't work out in a season or two. Add franchise/playmakers through the draft and draft the BPA. It's a longer approach, but it's the smarter approach. Honestly not sure how people don't understand this concept.

Gimore's prime would have been wasted? LOL. How long is this supposed to take? 3 or 4 more years? Pace can GTFO if that's the case.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Gimore's prime would have been wasted? LOL. How long is this supposed to take? 3 or 4 more years? Pace can GTFO if that's the case.

You think this team could be Superbowl bound in 2-3 years? I doubt it. In 2 years I expect this team to be in the playoffs and stay there, and then maybe in 3-4, if Pace gets the QB situation down, then could be competing for Superbowls. Curious why you think making Gilmore the highest paid CB would be a good move for this team right now.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
How is that 2015 draft class looking so far? Building through the draft, how long does that take when you average 2......maybe three players of starter level NFL talent? Do the math. Not to mention Pace has shown no ability to retain talent once their rookie contracts are up. Many want the Bears to Draft secondary with the #1 pick. I guess that means the three picks we made last year are all busts?

At which case the rest of you will finally see the dismal failure that is Ryan Pace, then we can get a new GM and give him five years. Rinse/Lather/repeat.

Unlike you, I am not going to get all hot and sweaty over a middling defense. For very step forward the defense took, the offense took a step back. That is not progress, it's borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

He would have at least added some talent worth retaining, rather then this dumpster diving class of nobody FA's he brought in this year.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Enasic

Liked Posts:
That..........explains a lot.........

Actually, it doesn't explain anything. All that's in front of us is that we have a different opinion on Pace's tenure so far. We could argue until we're blue in the face but it won't do any good because the end result will tell everything. The end result isn't after 2 years. You don't judge a GM after 2 years. Especially when the team he took over routinely used to get blown out by 30+ points every other game. We'll see what happens. But the chance that either of us are wrong, are equal. No argument we present will change anything. Time will tell.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually, it doesn't explain anything. All that's in front of us is that we have a different opinion on Pace's tenure so far. We could argue until we're blue in the face but it won't do any good because the end result will tell everything. The end result isn't after 2 years. You don't judge a GM after 2 years. Especially when the team he took over routinely used to get blown out by 30+ points every other game. We'll see what happens. But the chance that either of us are wrong, are equal. No argument we present will change anything. Time will tell.

:whoosh:

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't have to overspend in order to have a good free agency period.

Glennon?

Sanchez?

Wouldve been cheaper to re-sign Hoyer...a QB familiar with Loggains system.

It's almost as if Pace is already gearing up to jettison Fox and staff in 2018.

Why else would he make NO effort to keep.Hoyer and Barkley?

He's not.worried about Loggains system.

Because they both suck? Glennon might suck but his floor is Hoyer / Barkley combined. Not that that is saying much.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I thought we should've picked up RG3 last year over the people who wanted to failed backups for ABC. As a backup he couldn't be any worse than the ones we've had since (or maybe before and including) Orton.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I thought we should've picked up RG3 last year over the people who wanted to failed backups for ABC. As a backup he couldn't be any worse than the ones we've had since (or maybe before and including) Orton.

You got that right.

But this is the Chicago Bears.

The team DEATHLY afraid of acquiring good quarterbacks.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
The bottom line is so far, Pace has not delivered.

Is he building the right way? Yes. Through the draft.

However...he doesn't have a CLUE when it comes to pro personnel decisions.

Sometimes, you have to address a position through FA first.

Take our embarrasing safety position...

We were a laughing stock at the position for the best part of a decade before he got here. In his 2 years on the job, we STILL are.

Why is that?

Before Pace, we tried to fix the position through the draft with one underwhelming draft pick after another. So you would think that would have told Pace to try a different approach. Signing an ELITE safety, for $$$, just MIGHT be the way to go. Whats he do? Drafts more crappy safeties. Amos? Bush? DHC? I'm not impressed.

Even if ONE of them pan out, you still need another safety.

I have doubts Quntin Demps is the answer. To me it's another band aid like the Antrel Rolle experiment. Aging and overpaid.

Sometimes as a GM you have to grow a set and go ALL-IN on an elite player to fix something.

As much as Angelo is derided, he understood that at times. We never get to SB41 without Mushin Muhammad. We never get to the NFCC game in '10 without Peppers.

Pace seems to half ass free agency. Now maybe that's because Teddy and George have final say on money after they let Emeory go on his foolish spending sprees, and if that's true, then forget everything I just said.

But something tells me, Pace is free to sign elite players.

He's just not getting it done.

He needs to ease up on his DRAFT first philosophy a little. Its the RIGHT way yes, overall, but free agency serves a purpose too. To fix the positions that you been BEATING your head against for a decade like safety.

And just because you spend big on an ELITE player in FA, doesn't not mean he cant draft the same position in the draft.

You rarely hear anyone in the NFL say, "We have TOO MUCH depth". lol

Status
Not open for further replies.