Cubs reportedly trying to trade Szczur

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Some day they will have to trade one of the current starters. I don't think it will be Baez.

He was acquired vs picked. I believe if they drafted him he would have been in Almora's situation and starting. He is on the team by his effort. But he wasn't the profile type that they look at when they draft.

When they drafted Happ I believe they had Zobrist in mind when they did. When he fell short at CF they pushed Almora there again. Now they are pushing Him towards 2B and have not committed to Baez there over Zobrist

I look at what they are doing or are not doing vs putting my opinion into it. So far they have Schwarber at LF. Zo at 2B and Happ at 2B in Iowa. Baez is a 6th man.

He holds more value as a chip to net a young starter than being a sub

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He was acquired vs picked. I believe if they drafted him he would have been in Almora's situation and starting. He is on the team by his effort. But he wasn't the profile type that they look at when they draft.

When they drafted Happ I believe they had Zobrist in mind when they did. When he fell short at CF they pushed Almora there again. Now they are pushing Him towards 2B and have not committed to Baez there over Zobrist

I look at what they are doing or are not doing vs putting my opinion into it. So far they have Schwarber at LF. Zo at 2B and Happ at 2B in Iowa. Baez is a 6th man.

He holds more value as a chip to net a young starter than being a sub
Maddon loves Javy. Unless his bat struggles, he isn't likely going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Zobrist is guaranteed here the first three years of the deal. I am not sure Javy's value will ever be higher than it is now, he was the star of that puerto rico team, the only guy without a full time job. I want him here, but there is a deal out there that the cubs can not say no to.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maddon loves Javy. Unless his bat struggles, he isn't likely going anywhere.

A lot of managers love players that were moved...

I agree that if Happs is ready to go in 2018, Baez will be the one moved to maybe net them a SP for 2018.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You have to believe that they will have to replace both Jake and John next year. They are most likely not going to meet the demands required to ink Jake. Add to it I doubt that they opt to ink a mega to get a F/A. They are not going to empty the farm to deal for a ace with control. So that leaves honestly Baez for a high upside prospect that is close.

Baez is a starter on most teams in the league. That is why he holds high trade value. So it really has little to do with him not being a fit or Joe's love for the guy. It has more to do with team needs. System wise they do not have a internal rotation option to replace Jake. System wise they have the depth to replace Javy. It is simple as that.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I've mentioned this before but it's also entirely likely that if Heyward does opt out they could simply move Bryant to RF and Baez(or Happ possibly) to 3B. Honestly, given where they are at right now I think the FO likes being over staffed on offense. There was an article awhile back talking about the real reason Rizzo switched to Szczur's bat in the playoffs being he was worn out and he'd lost some of his bat speed so he went to a smaller bat to increase it. Having a number of starter caliber bench players allows them to lessen the load on their stars and keep them fresh.

That's not to say the FO wouldn't move someone if the right deal presents itself but I doubt they are actively trying to move guys like Baez.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I've mentioned this before but it's also entirely likely that if Heyward does opt out they could simply move Bryant to RF and Baez(or Happ possibly) to 3B. Honestly, given where they are at right now I think the FO likes being over staffed on offense. There was an article awhile back talking about the real reason Rizzo switched to Szczur's bat in the playoffs being he was worn out and he'd lost some of his bat speed so he went to a smaller bat to increase it. Having a number of starter caliber bench players allows them to lessen the load on their stars and keep them fresh.

That's not to say the FO wouldn't move someone if the right deal presents itself but I doubt they are actively trying to move guys like Baez.

Right now sure. Offseason another story

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Here is some of the set up:

Heyward may opt out of contract after 2018 season or after 2019 season with 550 plate appearances in 2019
full no-trade protection for 2016-18, may block deals to 12 clubs in 2019-20, may block all deals after 2020 season as 10-and-5 player

So if he opts out yes that opens up pay roll to sign a TOR. I see if the Cubs don't repeat and he has a career year he will bounce. If he has a rebound and they repeat he will most likely sit on his 2019 opt. If he sucks he will force the Cubs to trade.

On Rizzo: they have Contreras/Montero/ Schwarber as catcher depth. They can move Contreras there when needed to give him a day off.

So my belief is they go into each off season with the focus being the next year needs first. Just like they go into the trade deadline with that year's needs first. If they are in it then they assess the current needs. If they are out of it then they look to sell of short term contract. That has been their agenda sense they took over.

So in view of this they will shop for a replacement for Jake. If they are out of it then they will most likely use Jake as the bait in season. If they are in it and Jake walks and Heyward walks then they have that payroll flexibility to be aggressive. If Heyward sticks and Jake walks they will not have that flexibility and they will have to use the depth that they have to net a starter.

It is just team needs first.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My bad. Heyward can't opt until after 2018. He is a non factor this off season. So I'm thinking the most likely scenario is that they trade Javy unless they tank then they use Jake to get a starter with more control. Getting Butler was a good first step and he back fills for Jake in this scenario. Just like Hendricks did for Shark.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Here is some of the set up:

On Rizzo: they have Contreras/Montero/ Schwarber as catcher depth. They can move Contreras there when needed to give him a day off.

they still carried 3 catchers alot of last year too. Still stuck Javy at first base. Playing Javy at first over Zobrist was confusing to me. I sure hope ben gets more time at first when rizzo needs a break.

As far as Rodney Dangerfieldhendricks, lets hope another year like last he is given the 2 or 3 spot in the rotation when they find the jake replacement and the lackee is gone.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You have to believe that they will have to replace both Jake and John next year. They are most likely not going to meet the demands required to ink Jake. Add to it I doubt that they opt to ink a mega to get a F/A. They are not going to empty the farm to deal for a ace with control. So that leaves honestly Baez for a high upside prospect that is close.

Baez is a starter on most teams in the league. That is why he holds high trade value. So it really has little to do with him not being a fit or Joe's love for the guy. It has more to do with team needs. System wise they do not have a internal rotation option to replace Jake. System wise they have the depth to replace Javy. It is simple as that.
Javy was a 12.7 dWAR player last season on fangraphs. There isn't "depth" in the system like that. He is a very special player defensively.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Javy was a 12.7 dWAR player last season on fangraphs. There isn't "depth" in the system like that. He is a very special player defensively.

That is why I said he is a starter on most teams and he could pull a young TOR in return.

When you have Russell at SS and Zobrist at 2B. Young, Happ and Candilerio able to move around on the bench in 2018. You could say all 3 could be on the roster later year also. It allows Theo to be able to trade from that depth. Of all of them Baez holds the most trade weight.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
That is why I said he is a starter on most teams and he could pull a young TOR in return.

When you have Russell at SS and Zobrist at 2B. Young, Happ and Candilerio able to move around on the bench in 2018. You could say all 3 could be on the roster later year also. It allows Theo to be able to trade from that depth. Of all of them Baez holds the most trade weight.
Zobrist is not the 2B Baez is at this point in his career. And I'm saying that as long time Zobrist fan. The Cubs could trade Rizzo and get a top shelf young arm and put Schwarber at 1B. You've singled out Baez and I'm disagreeing that he will be the one traded. They have any number of studs to bring back a young TOR.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Zobrist is not the 2B Baez is at this point in his career. And I'm saying that as long time Zobrist fan. The Cubs could trade Rizzo and get a top shelf young arm and put Schwarber at 1B. You've singled out Baez and I'm disagreeing that he will be the one traded. They have any number of studs to bring back a young TOR.

As I said before. My opinion is based on their decisions. Baez is not the starting 2B.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
As I said before. My opinion is based on their decisions. Baez is not the starting 2B.
That's because Zobrist was signed before Baez made his impact. As Zobrist's career begins to slow down, that job goes to Baez.

And by that I mean the Zobrist role of playing all over.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That's because Zobrist was signed before Baez made his impact. As Zobrist's career begins to slow down, that job goes to Baez.

And by that I mean the Zobrist role of playing all over.

The irony of Zobrist returning to what made him famous... being a super utility guy off the bench. It's kind of poetic actually.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The irony of Zobrist returning to what made him famous... being a super utility guy off the bench. It's kind of poetic actually.
I think he will do that, but I also think Baez has that role locked down this year and on a Maddon team, that is a very big deal. I personally believe that Theo understands that and why I don't think, if Baez continues his offensive improvement, he won't be traded next off-season.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think he will do that, but I also think Baez has that role locked down this year and on a Maddon team, that is a very big deal. I personally believe that Theo understands that and why I don't think, if Baez continues his offensive improvement, he won't be traded next off-season.

Somebody getting traded between Baez Russell Schwarber and Happs...
Especially if their looking to bring in a young controlled TOR starter...
To get such guy, their gonna have to trade a young top player..

Also just adding that yea maybe now Baez is ok with being a special utility guy because he young and just in 2nd year but have to think , eventually he going to want to settle in as an everyday player somewhere.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk