Cubs reportedly trying to trade Szczur

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Because you need role players or players that have accepted their role. Jay should accept whatever role he gets for 8 million. I really wonder who the cubs were bidding against on this one, but the fact remains, why. Did they not think that Ben would be in the outfield more so Javy can play second? What was the thinking? Cant bench Heyward for Almora, but you can bench him for Jay? Its the bigger question than Matt Sczcur, but you take a guy that knows his role to a Stella who wont accept that 25th man role and you gotta feel there are going to be problems.

Almora most likely will be the starter. Jay the 4th guy. If Almora is slumping then Jay gets the starts until Almora adjusts.

Jay was only signed because they are in a contending window. If they were in a building window he would not have been signed.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Did they not think that Ben would be in the outfield more so Javy can play second?

They don't want to play a 36 year old Zobrist a ton of games in the OF, no. The fact he may do it in October doesn't mean he has to do it April - September.

What was the thinking? Cant bench Heyward for Almora, but you can bench him for Jay?

Jay is here in case Almora isn't ready to play in the OF and Heyward still is a terrible hitter. If that event happens, the Cubs want a guy who can play everyday in CF because then they would likely play Bryant/Zobrist more in RF and Javy more at 2B/3B. They specifically wanted a lefty because in the case Almora doesn't hit/isn't ready, they have the righty in Szczur.

Its the bigger question than Matt Sczcur, but you take a guy that knows his role to a Stella who wont accept that 25th man role and you gotta feel there are going to be problems.

In their mind, they always knew LaStella was the 24th man, the question was who got the last roster spot, Szczur or Almora?

It's amazing that you're mad the Cubs literal problem is they have to cut a productive player because they've been so good at acquiring and drafting talent that they simply don't have room for a MLB OF like Szczur.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's amazing that you're mad the Cubs literal problem is they have to cut a productive player because they've been so good at acquiring and drafting talent that they simply don't have room for a MLB OF like Szczur.

I like the kid, but if the Cub's chances hang on Szczur making the team or not....they're in big trouble.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Because you need role players or players that have accepted their role. Jay should accept whatever role he gets for 8 million. I really wonder who the cubs were bidding against on this one, but the fact remains, why. Did they not think that Ben would be in the outfield more so Javy can play second? What was the thinking? Cant bench Heyward for Almora, but you can bench him for Jay? Its the bigger question than Matt Sczcur, but you take a guy that knows his role to a Stella who wont accept that 25th man role and you gotta feel there are going to be problems.
Think it has to do with 2 things....

Cubs brass werent sure at the time if Almora would/will be ready and hit MLB pitching consistently

Zobrist being 36, he wanted rest last year.
So, I'm guessing he going to play even less this year ..

My thinking, barring injuries and long slumps

This will be the starting 8 we will see most everyday..

Contreras
Rizzo
Baez
Russell
Bryant
Schwarber
Almora
Heyward

Montero Zobrist and Jay will get most of their PT against tough RHers/RH pitching..

Obviously Zobrist can hit both ways...

I just think barring long slumps and injuries, Contreras Baez and Almora are going to get as much PT as possible cause their the future.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I like the kid, but if the Cub's chances hang on Szczur making the team or not....they're in big trouble.
I think it has more to do with having Happs and even Young being close to call ups at some point in season...

I can almost guarantee barring significant injuries, LaStella won't be anywhere near the Cubs roster by July.

Szczur is pretty much expendable and without options could net them something in a trade.
Cubs have many options with guys like Zobrist Bryant and Baez being able to play OF if a situation arrives during a game,meaning they don't need a 5th OFer.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think it has more to do with having Happs and even Young being close to call ups at some point in season...

I can almost guarantee barring significant injuries, LaStella won't be anywhere near the Cubs roster by July.

Szczur is pretty much expendable and without options could net them something in a trade.
Cubs have many options with guys like Zobrist Bryant and Baez being able to play OF if a situation arrives during a game,meaning they don't need a 5th OFer.

This is always the point, but how soon we forget Schwarbers season was ended playing the outfield.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

You do realize that Young is basically a RH La Stella which is less useful off the bench right? La Stella hit .319/.402/.468 in the minors. Young is a decent bench bat but realistically his upside is La Stella. He's not pushing anyone off a roster. Happ is enough of a prospect to consider doing that but I'd be surprised if he's up before Sept excluding injuries. There's no reason to call him up if he's going to sit the bench and where is he going to find playing time other wise?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You do realize that Young is basically a RH La Stella which is less useful off the bench right? La Stella hit .319/.402/.468 in the minors. Young is a decent bench bat but realistically his upside is La Stella. He's not pushing anyone off a roster. Happ is enough of a prospect to consider doing that but I'd be surprised if he's up before Sept excluding injuries. There's no reason to call him up if he's going to sit the bench and where is he going to find playing time other wise?
The point was , is that along with having players on team that can play multiple positions, they also have kids in system that if not ready now are close to it that they can turn to later in year if needed...

So, guys like Szczur and LaStella are expendable for trades, etc...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The point was , is that along with having players on team that can play multiple positions, they also have kids in system that if not ready now are close to it that they can turn to later in year if needed...

So, guys like Szczur and LaStella are expendable for trades, etc...

Ok but Young hasn't played at all in AAA. There's no rush and you want depth behind what you have in case someone gets hurt. This is more a 2018 conversation in ST than right now.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ok but Young hasn't played at all in AAA. There's no rush and you want depth behind what you have in case someone gets hurt. This is more a 2018 conversation in ST than right now.
I didn't say he was gonna be brought up next week..

Just said he someone they can use later in year if needed..

The kid done nothing but hit the last 2 seasons, along with playing all 4 IF positions and corner OF.
So, I'm sure he probably going to be one of the first guys they look at if they need to bring someone up later.

Come to think of it, they probably bring him up before Happs if they consider Happs someone that might be an everyday player for them come 2018 and don't want to start his clock this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Young is able to play 3B/SS/2B and the OF. His arm is not plus so he is not starter quality out there.

If anything he is a UI that makes good contact. I don't see them worrying much about starting his clock

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Young is able to play 3B/SS/2B and the OF. His arm is not plus so he is not starter quality out there.

If anything he is a UI that makes good contact. I don't see them worrying much about starting his clock
Never said they were....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Never said they were....

The real question is if they start Happ in AA or AAA. Young's glove is plus but his arm is limited to 2B. Happ is still stiff at 2B and he may need more time over there.

I don't see them moving either off position either

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The real question is if they start Happ in AA or AAA. Young's glove is plus but his arm is limited to 2B. Happ is still stiff at 2B and he may need more time over there.

I don't see them moving either off position either

Happ is starting in AAA.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Where did you see that. All I've seen is reassigned to minor league camp.

Hoyer mentioned it after they sent him down. I can dig up the bleacher nation bullet with it if you want.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is fine. I just couldn't find where that was said.

Still it puts into question if they push young to SS now. His arm is not ideal there but his bat justifies a starting role.

I'm just wondering if they try to trade Baez next offseason now. With these 2 and Zobrist with 2 years left it makes sense to go after pitching.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
That is fine. I just couldn't find where that was said.

Still it puts into question if they push young to SS now. His arm is not ideal there but his bat justifies a starting role.

I'm just wondering if they try to trade Baez next offseason now. With these 2 and Zobrist with 2 years left it makes sense to go after pitching.

I can't imagine them trading Baez with his ability to play SS. I think Happ goes eventually.