Bears had a private workout with a college qb

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Great talent but how many QBs coming from an Air Raid offense have tore up the league? Especially ones with as atrocious footwork and mechanics. His tools give you some hope, but usually guys like him don't pan out. The Bears are doing their due diligence, rightfully so, but this guy is a HUGE project. I do think the Cutler comparisons as far as tools/arm/athleticism etc are valid, but I believe Mahomes has better intangibles/leadership. Still a huge project though and it's a major question if he can ever run a pro offense and read NFL defenses like a franchise QB. There's a shit ton more to QBing than just arm/athleticism.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We suffer from Cutler shock. Mahomes will need to kept a bit in check but he's got a generational arm and stays accurate unlike Jay. More like Stafford with better accuracy.

He is not the talent that Cutler was coming out of college.

With any guy who is a 2 year project like Kizer and Mahomes teams need to gauge their love of the game and coachability. This is where Cutler came up short.

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
If he has a competent OC and great QB coach, he can be developed into a mid-tier QB IMO. A lot of work, tho.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Mahomes is going in the first. He is the guy we thought Deshone Kizer would be - the most physically gifted QB in the class.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Mahomes is going in the first. He is the guy we thought Deshone Kizer would be - the most physically gifted QB in the class.

Don't think either will amount to much. I could see capable backups with some brief success as a starter. But not your franchise QB that teams want.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Don't think either will amount to much. I could see capable backups with some brief success as a starter. But not your franchise QB that teams want.

I would agree but that doesn't seem to stop some GM's and coaches from drafting these guys and hoping they pan out.

I would actually prefer Kaaya and Peterman over those two guys.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Most physically gifted? I don't know. He came up shorter than expected at the combine. His hands were smaller than expected. His 40 time was not impressive.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I would agree but that doesn't seem to stop some GM's and coaches from drafting these guys and hoping they pan out.

Agreed 100%

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Big project but I guess that's what they are looking for after signing Glennon and Sanchez...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The reason this QB class has taken so much heat is solely because of the lack of guys who are ready to step in and play day 1. If raised right there are some very intriguing prospects who can turn into good NFL QB's. The problem is having the patience to let them develop by the team and fans and developing the kids right which I'm not sure how the Bears staff would fare.

I believe that Watson and Peterman are the guys who would be ready to start year 1. I'm not a Peterman guy at all and doubt he ever is more than a backup but he comes as more of a finished product, probably already at his ceiling.

Mahomes, Kizer, and Webb are raw and need to get all the mechanics squared away before they ever think of seeing the field.

Trubisky has not had enough snaps and has faced the least adversity and could be wrecked if he is rushed on the field.

Kayaa needs to adjust to the NFL game as well. Plenty of snaps and ran more of an NFL system but mechanics in the face of pressure need to be corrected before he turns into Hackenberg.

Luke

Liked Posts:

Between scouting Kaaya all year long and having Peterman at the Senior Bowl that very well could happen.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Most physically gifted? I don't know. He came up shorter than expected at the combine. His hands were smaller than expected. His 40 time was not impressive.

Great shuttle, highest ever recorded velocity plus he's accurate.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Great talent but how many QBs coming from an Air Raid offense have tore up the league? Especially ones with as atrocious footwork and mechanics. His tools give you some hope, but usually guys like him don't pan out. The Bears are doing their due diligence, rightfully so, but this guy is a HUGE project. I do think the Cutler comparisons as far as tools/arm/athleticism etc are valid, but I believe Mahomes has better intangibles/leadership. Still a huge project though and it's a major question if he can ever run a pro offense and read NFL defenses like a franchise QB. There's a shit ton more to QBing than just arm/athleticism .

Farve didn't have the best footwork.

Still a huge project though and it's a major question if he can ever run a pro offense and read NFL defenses like a franchise QB. There's a shit ton more to QBing than just arm/athleticism

If he comes in with a solid work ethic there's no reason he won't do well. From interviews I've seen he seems both smart and confident. Hell jay's been in the league 8yrs. and still can't read "D".....still can't properly call audibles. I don't see the comparison

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
He is not the talent that Cutler was coming out of college.

With any guy who is a 2 year project like Kizer and Mahomes teams need to gauge their love of the game and coachability. This is where Cutler came up short.

I think he has the love for the game. He gave up on baseball after all.

But I wonder about his intelligence (football and other) and how we will adapt to the NFL. Will he just continue to back his arm and get picked off?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
yea, i have a feeling that kaaya is paces guy. i would be higher on kaaya if it wasnt for the folding under any sort of pressure thing. in the end though, actual scouts dont know who will make it and who wont so as down as everyone is about this draft class(including myself) one or more of them could end up being great.

though im pretty damn sure thats not watson. everything about him screams great college qb, shit nfl qb.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
yea, i have a feeling that kaaya is paces guy. i would be higher on kaaya if it wasnt for the folding under any sort of pressure thing. in the end though, actual scouts dont know who will make it and who wont so as down as everyone is about this draft class(including myself) one or more of them could end up being great.

though im pretty damn sure thats not watson. everything about him screams great college qb, shit nfl qb.

why?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Farve didn't have the best footwork.

If he comes in with a solid work ethic there's no reason he won't do well. From interviews I've seen he seems both smart and confident. Hell jay's been in the league 8yrs. and still can't read "D".....still can't properly call audibles. I don't see the comparison

Work ethic is one thing, but no amount of work will transform your vision and processing of the game. It's a huge question mark if mahomes can ever run a pro style offense and make the right decisions, the right checks, and go through his progressions. Sure, you can say because of his skill set and assuming he has a good work ethic, "there's no reason he can't succeed." But we both know that's not true. Guys with talent and a good work ethic at the QB position fail all the time. You don't even need to look further than the bears last QB to see that. But the examples extend far greater than cutler.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Work ethic is one thing, but no amount of work will transform your vision and processing of the game. It's a huge question mark if mahomes can ever run a pro style offense and make the right decisions, the right checks, and go through his progressions. Sure, you can say because of his skill set and assuming he has a good work ethic, "there's no reason he can't succeed." But we both know that's not true. Guys with talent and a good work ethic at the QB position fail all the time. You don't even need to look further than the bears last QB to see that. But the examples extend far greater than cutler.

lol.....jay was UN-coachable and had very mediocre work ethic . Like I said earlier jay, after 8 yrs. still couldn't 1/2 read a "D" or make presnap reads, audibles etc.
Plus he was a weak leader. I don't see all that in Mahomes. Show me 3 Qb's who have leadership and good work ethic
( i.e. film study. lots of practice reps with the "O", coach-ability) who aren't successful in the NFL.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
lol.....jay was UN-coachable and had very mediocre work ethic . Like I said earlier jay, after 8 yrs. still couldn't 1/2 read a "D" or make presnap reads, audibles etc.
Plus he was a weak leader. I don't see all that in Mahomes. Show me 3 Qb's who have leadership and good work ethic, who aren't successful in the NFL.

Depends what you mean by success. I'd say most starting NFL QBs have a good work ethic and leadership abilities. Also, what other air raid QBs have proven themselves in the NFL? Look...I'm not saying mahomes can't succeed....but he's a huge project/risk. There's a ton of questions around him, and while yes, he can succeed, I'm just not sure how he'd respond to running a pro offense and counteracting a pro defense. This is obviously just my opinion. But there's enough questions around him where I think the possibility he flops, is pretty significant. He's worth the risk in the 2nd, IMO...but not a guy you trade up for.

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
Watched the West Virgina game ill pass

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk