Ryan Pace Q&A

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
My position right now is fairly simple. I think he needs to (seriously) address the QB position. I think he has a rare opportunity to draft a real impact player at the position that he may not have again, and I'd like to see him take it.

Even acknowledging that it may not work out, not having Allen or Adams (who may also not work out) is worth taking a real crack at it, imo. I think the difference between these guys and players available at 36 in this deep defensive draft is small enough that it's worth sacrificing a slight edge on a defensive player to take a shot at the big one.

I hear ya mick. If I were higher on Watson/trubisky I would agree. Much higher on Mitch than Watson but I don't think either will be special. Agree to disagree. No biggie.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Would have been a great chance for Pace to evaluate his rookie or 2nd year QB, no?

Especially considering how solid the interior OL was, it wouldn't be like tossing him behind the 2010 OL. He'd actually have a chance to show his potential. I would've really liked to have seen Hundley or Prescott instead of Matt fucking Barkley.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I think is funny is that everyone acknowledges that QB's get overdrafted all the time yet these guys also assume that "hot rising" prospects like Mahomes etc will still be available in Round 2.

If QB's are over drafted and you think Mahomes is worth a 1st rounder won't other teams be jumping over the Bears? We've already seen it in a lot of mocks of this boards darling (Mahomes) sneaking into the 1st round. How can you think the Bears can get their guy..or your guy in Round 2? Or 3?

I just don't think that it's a reasonable position to take that "Qb's are always over drafted.....The Bears should hang and wait" Those two viewpoints don't mesh IMO.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We don't need to draft a QB.... we got Glennon and Sanchez.... wtf do we need a QB for?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Well...cancer free. I know people who have gone through this and yes are better than ever for the most part. It's just an analogy.

Everyone I know that has done this is dead.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
What I think is funny is that everyone acknowledges that QB's get overdrafted all the time yet these guys also assume that "hot rising" prospects like Mahomes etc will still be available in Round 2.

If QB's are over drafted and you think Mahomes is worth a 1st rounder won't other teams be jumping over the Bears? We've already seen it in a lot of mocks of this boards darling (Mahomes) sneaking into the 1st round. How can you think the Bears can get their guy..or you guy in Round 2? Or 3?

I just don't think that it's a reasonable position to take that "Qb's are always over drafted.....The Bears should hang and wait" Those two viewpoints don't mesh IMO.

Honestly, I'm fine with not taking a QB at 3 as long as Pace has a plan to trade up and get one with his second pick, or something along those lines. I don't want to hear about "trying" like I keep hearing with Mariota. Either do it, or don't.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or pace is like radiation/chemo treatment for cancer patients (the bears). The treatments will suck and hurt and there will be steps back, but eventually you're cured and better than ever. It's all relative.

How many times must we go through chemo until we realize we are all still sick and we have now intentionally poisoned ourselves all the while. Please just hand me the cyanide pill at this point :lol:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I'm fine with not taking a QB at 3 as long as Pace has a plan to trade up and get one with his second pick, or something along those lines. I don't want to hear about "trying" like I keep hearing with Mariota. Either do it, or don't.

Well to be fair here, he can't just unilaterally trade up. The other team has to agree and Tennessee didn't want to take Cutler and liked Mariota. There's only so much within his control in that specific instance. Generally speaking I agree I think Pace needs to be aggressive as hell to get his guy but he still needs a team to play ball with him.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Well to be fair here, he can't just unilaterally trade up. The other team has to agree and Tennessee didn't want to take Cutler and liked Mariota. There's only so much within his control in that specific instance. Generally speaking I agree I think Pace needs to be aggressive as hell to get his guy but he still needs a team to play ball with him.

Which is why I think you take the QB when you have the need and the pick, like we do this year. Next years class might be great, but we may end up a pick or two away from a guy we want and no one willing to trade.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My position right now is fairly simple. I think he needs to (seriously) address the QB position. I think he has a rare opportunity to draft a real impact player at the position that he may not have again, and I'd like to see him take it.

Even acknowledging that it may not work out, not having Allen or Adams (who may also not work out) is worth taking a real crack at it, imo. I think the difference between these guys and players available at 36 in this deep defensive draft is small enough that it's worth sacrificing a slight edge on a defensive player to take a shot at the big one.

This... Couldn't have said it better, although I feel Allen and Adams can be special. So can Watson. Their MIGHT be a chance bears aren't top 5 in draft next year

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Definitely. I'm just saying, if he doesn't think he'll find a team to mesh, then just take the QB at 3. If he goes defender, and misses out on a QB (again) with his second pick, I'm going to be pretty pissed off. But, I haven't been able to follow college this year because of my work schedule, so I'm not high on a guy later in the draft like I was with Hundley or Prescott in previous years.

The only guy I saw with any decent volume is Watson (which is why I'm so high on him). I saw more of Kizer the previous year, but I'd be fine with him as well. Wary of Trubinsky, but the only game I saw was against NC State, and he didn't look very good. It's why I've been fairly quiet about the draft. I'm not going to pretend I've seen all this "tape." Hell, I even missed the scouting combine. Short version: Fuck third shift.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which is why I think you take the QB when you have the need and the pick, like we do this year. Next years class might be great, but we may end up a pick or two away from a guy we want and no one willing to trade.

I addressed this last week in a post with dabears70.

I'll post it again here:

When did they announce next years class? I missed that. Guys just declare earlier every year...

(sorry FT. Not trying to be a dick. I just hate assuming next years class when we don't know who it will be. If they'll be healthy. And if their skills remain the same from year to year)
It's pretty easy to see who will be coming out if you assume even relative improvement etc.

I think it's a safe assumption at this point.

You're one of the more reasonable posters on here so let me ask you this, do you think it would be worth the wait of not going QB early in this draft if we ended up with lets say one of the top 3 QB's coming out next year??
Complex question and a long discussion..But...in a certain world in a certain vacuum...yes. Assuming that you're willing to move up to go get your guy...and that's assuming a team will allow you too. As I sit here right now assuming decent progression or thing staying decently constant there are 3-4 QB's I'd take in the Top 15 next year(Darnold, Falk, Jackson, Rosen). I'm that high on that class at the moment. Obviously things can change but that's 1999/1983 levels of top talent.

The flip side to that is...I think there are Two QB's worthy of a top pick this year...Watson and Kizer...and you're sitting at #3 and will get one of them if you want to. There are another two I think would be worth jumping back into the end of the first if you really wanted(Trubs and Mahomes...I'm not THAT high on Mahomes..but I'll listen to arguments)

If you are Pace..is the risk worth it? If the Bears suck again next or make minimal improvements does he even get another bite at the apple?

As a fan there's a part of me that agrees with maybe waiting until 2018..but I'm not the GM with my job (possibly) on the line..so the real question is..Is it worth the risk to PACE to do it? I don't know....it's easy for me to say "yeah", because it's not my job/neck on the line.

I know there's absolutely no way to say we'll be able to get one of the top 3 but lets say we do and i don't know who would be rated the top 3 at this time but would think Darnold and Rosen are in there with one of L.Falk, L.Jackson, J.Allen, B.mayfield or M.Rudolph taking the 3rd spot so you put whoever you want there but would it be worth the wait for you or not? I guess it would be easier to just ask you if you think there's 3 QB's in next years draft that are better than any of the QB's in this draft??
I'm not actually big on the guys that are bolded.

I'll just say this...in my mind if the Bears walked into 2018 with any of the following at QB I'd be pretty damn happy:
Kizer
Watson
Darnold
Falk
Jackson
Rosen

If any of these guys are the QB in 2018 I'd be cool with it:
Mahomes
Trubs
Kaaya
Rudolph
Browning

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any relevant front office knows that the most important skill position is QB. Pace putting this off until year 3 of his regime should be concerning to anyone who follows football.

Exactly this, if Pace's plan all along was to wait until getting rid of Cutler resulted in a minimal cap hit, and to develop a mid/late round QB to become a starter, he should have been drafting QB's in his first fucking year. and another in his second fucking year. Only a moron would wait to dump your starter, and then address the position with a developmental project in the 3-5 rounds. What is so fucking hard for you slurpers to see this?

When Glennon sucks donkey balls this year, and he will, Pace should get let go. Failure to address the most important position on the team is a fireable offense.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
This... Couldn't have said it better, although I feel Allen and Adams can be special. So can Watson. Their MIGHT be a chance bears aren't top 5 in draft next year

The Browns picked 8th in 2014 after a 4-12 season. No matter how bad the Bears appear to be now you can't count on a top five pick next year.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly this, if Pace's plan all along was to wait until getting rid of Cutler resulted in a big cap hit, and to develop a mid/late round QB to become a starter, he should have been drafting QB's in his first fucking year. and another in his second fucking year. Only a moron would wait to dump your starter, and then address the position with a developmental project in the 3-5 rounds. What is so fucking hard for you slurpers to see this?

When Glennon sucks donkey balls this year, and he will, Pace should get let go. Failure to address the most important position on the team is a fireable offense.
I somewhat agree with this in general terms. It surprised me a decent amount Pace hasn't been taking swings late in the draft. Even on massive projects like Cardale Jones etc. You know when Cutler's contract expires, you know long term he's not the answer, and on and on and on. I think it's a pretty big indictment that Pace doesn't have "a" guy..not even necessarily "his" guy on deck. I suppose you could argue that Glennon is "a/his" guy but as much as I liked Glennon coming out and even advocated for the Bears to make a deal for him 2-3 years ago I can't really say I'm impressed with Pace's plan if his guy is Glennon. Then again, Pace's plan doesn't have to be impressive. It just has to work. So we'll see.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
-Glennon is the starter, Sanchez #2, likes the quarterback room they've built. has been talking about getting Glennon since he was in New Orleans.

-Will take Best player available, look to trade back.

-Will try Hall at safety.

-Excited about Merideth and believe White has had bad luck injuries but is mindful of depth. Mentioned draft when talking about receivers.

-Considers Amukamara a solid vet and Copper an ascending player.

-Fuller is an outside corner. Still working back from scope.

-One year deals are sometimes what players want, and will look to re-sign guys when he knows them better.

Pace is full of it with this nonsense about he has been looking at Glennon since he was in New Orleans. If he liked Glennon that much why then did he not look to trade for Glennon after exploring trades for Mariota & Wentz? TB would have been happy to give Glennon up for a 4th rnd pick. Why didn't he have his sights set on Glennon immediately when the season ended? Knowing Glennon was a FA instead of exploring giving up picks and a big salary for Jimmy G. . Glennon was an after thought, Pace didn't want Cutler back, the Jimmy G thing was not going to happen, so Pace looked for the next available guy.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
It just fucking kills me that Ryan Pace drafted Hall, Bush and Kwiatkoski all in the 4th round BEFORE Dak Prescot. To me that absolutely blows my mind -- knowing how badly we needed a QB and he drafts Deon Bush? He didn't even think to take a flyer on the game's most premium position?

But whats done is done.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It just fucking kills me that Ryan Pace drafted Hall, Bush and Kwiatkoski all in the 4th round BEFORE Dak Prescot. To me that absolutely blows my mind -- knowing how badly we needed a QB and he drafts Deon Bush? He didn't even think to take a flyer on the game's most premium position?

But whats done is done.

Ryan Pace is a trout fondling bucktoothed prairie dog.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I somewhat agree with this in general terms. It surprised me a decent amount Pace hasn't been taking swings late in the draft. Even on massive projects like Cardale Jones etc. You know when Cutler's contract expires, you know long term he's not the answer, and on and on and on. I think it's a pretty big indictment that Pace doesn't have "a" guy..not even necessarily "his" guy on deck. I suppose you could argue that Glennon is "a/his" guy but as much as I liked Glennon coming out and even advocated for the Bears to make a deal for him 2-3 years ago I can't really say I'm impressed with Pace's plan if his guy is Glennon. Then again, Pace's plan doesn't have to be impressive. It just has to work. So we'll see.

Pace not only doesn't have a guy, he doesn't have a coherent plan, or he at least cannot execute it. Unless of course Glennon was his plan all along, and as scary as that sounds, it is looking more and more like that was the case. If he drafts a qb in the first round (@#3 or a trade up in to the latter half of the first) I will gladly admit I was wrong, but based on what I am seeing and hearing, I don't see this happening.

How many of his FA acquisitions this year have any possible long term upside? This to me looks like a guy flinging shit against the wall and hoping something sticks. Last years draft was a good draft, but it is way to early to give it an excellent grade.