Ryan Pace Q&A

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have to say that IF find it useless to discuss guys like Emery, Angelo, Trestman, Lovie, in comparison to Fox and Pace. To what end? I could give a shit if Pace is better than Emery or Angelo. Emery and Angelo sucked. Who cares?

Right now, I know that Fox sucks and that Pace has to do a lot to convince me that he is legit as a GM.. His grade is a "D" for me.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean, I accept that's what you believe, and that it might be relevant. However, I just don't think the team was any good regardless. I think the talent level is as low as iv'e ever seen it. It reminded me of the late 90's where i'd tune in a bit late to games due to lack of interest, see that we were losing in the 1st quarter, and then turn it off knowing the game was over. And it pretty much always was.

Yeah. The team has been an outright embarrassment for the last decade. It sucks.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We don't need to draft a QB.... we got Glennon and Sanchez.... wtf do we need a QB for?

Can you imagine the fan base next season with a quarterback group of Glennon, Sanchez, and Shaw going into the season? Break out the paper bags in Soldiers Field:(

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well there's a big difference between me and you right there. I watch the games from beginning to end no matter how bad we are cause i want to see which players are actually playing well and which ones aren't and see what the young kids are doing with my own eyes, so it sounds like at this time i'm more committed to the rebuild and seeing how it's going and you aren't and have pretty much given up on it until you actually see a difference in the record or whatever.

Come-on man, once again, you are rating yourself as a better fan than someone else. You are making yourself look silly.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shit we'd all love to see Prescott behind our o-line....Hundley...meh....clipboard holder.

Funny shit. Our offensive tackles are terrible. Dallas OTS are very good.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My biggest criticism of Pace is his lack of flexibility with regards to BPA. This is how I see it. In terms of overall talent, there are probably five or six players in the draft that have more physical talent at their position than Watson. Off the top of my head: Garrett, Hooker, Thomas, Lattimore, Allen, maybe Adams although I see him as the safety equivalent of Watson. You could argue a few others too (Fournette for example).

So, if Pace has him as the sixth best overall player or slightly worse, he will probably pass on him at 3 using pure BPA (which is what he has repeatedly said to us he will do). Whereas if manages to trade down with the Jets at #6 and Watson is still there, he might take him. It just feels like this approach leaves too much to chance: to take Watson at the right value, we'd be counting on a trade down partner and no-one taking him ahead of us.

I think this is a perfectly defendable approach when you have multiple holes on your roster but it just doesn't work with the QB. You can't rely on a QB you like being there when you would like to pick them. The position is too important AND the particular skill set and mental make up you are looking for is so precise that you may only identify one or two each year that you would be comfortable taking. When you do identify these players, you need to draft them when you are on the clock, even if that is a little high.

This is what I don't understand with those who will happily pass on a QB this year. What if there is a QB you like next year (not the top two because they go 1 and 2 in all likelihood and we won't be in range for that). Say you like the third QB in the 2018 class but Pace only likes him at 20-25 and we're picking 10-12.

My question is this: are you OK with a strict BPA approach with regards to QB?

I am not a big time advocate of the entire BPA approach to begin with but especially when you are talking about a quarterback. I am big fan of making NEED more important than many others consider. I say this as I hope the Bears find a way to trade down the number three pick if they can get a good quarterback with their first pick. But......I would not criticize Pace if he reached a bit for a guy who he felt 80% certain was going to be a good starting quarterback in the NFL.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
BPA or Need.... it doesn't really matter if you hit on the picks you make. Draft good players and it doesn't matter what system you use. Draft a bunch of busts and it also doesn't matter. It's not rocket science.... make good draft picks. :shrug:

Reactions: 1ke

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have gone back and forth on it but I keep coming back to Pace grabbing a QB high, whether it be 1st or 2nd round assuming his guy is there.

Glennon is an expensive insurance policy but they had the money to spend and the rookie may not be ready in 2017 so why not.

Sanchez is the veteran who will bring experience in the QB room and help groom the rookie because Glennon will have his hands full trying to win the job himself.

The #3 pick and Glennon's contract is not too much investment for the most important position in the NFL on a team that had nothing to begin with and has to get it right if they ever plan to crawl out of their hole.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
In listening to his press conference I got seriously depressed. Especially saying he was just going to take the best player in each round and if that were QB........
Then I thought about it and came to some conclusions.
1. Glennon was his second choice, why flirt with the Pats over Jimmy G if Glennon was your guy.
2. Pace knows that unless you have the first pick in the draft and someone like Aikman coming available, QB will NEVER be the highest rated player. Teams simply value QB too much and draft them higher than they are rated.
3. I think there are two different forces at work here. Fox who needs to win games and save his job and Pace who needs to build the team.
4. Pace did lay out his plan,build thru the draft, no high dollar FA. It's a slow way to build but it is working. Even with a crap secondary they were in the top ten defensively for most of the year until the injuries just overwhelmed them. They may not have great starters but they now have depth and competition.
5. He's saying exactly what he should say if he really has his eye on a particular QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I have to say that IF find it useless to discuss guys like Emery, Angelo, Trestman, Lovie, in comparison to Fox and Pace. To what end? I could give a shit if Pace is better than Emery or Angelo. Emery and Angelo sucked. Who cares?

Right now, I know that Fox sucks and that Pace has to do a lot to convince me that he is legit as a GM.. His grade is a "D" for me.

Well what ppl. seem 2 forget is Pace came here without GM experience......he's learning on the job.

brundleflyguy

Liked Posts:
Can you imagine the fan base next season with a quarterback group of Glennon, Sanchez, and Shaw going into the season? Break out the paper bags in Soldiers Field:(

Owners must laugh their asses off when stupid fans wear those paper bags - if you want to impact the owner - don't go to the game for Christ sake. Do people people keep eating at restaurants they hate too?

Reactions: DC

mecha

Liked Posts:
Well what ppl. seem 2 forget is Pace came here without GM experience......he's learning on the job.

this defines what a shitload of fuck the Chicago Bears are. they have to get some nubcake to be the GM. granted, the situation was pretty bad, and he could be doing much worse. between that and the hacks they put at OC, it's a miracle John Fox isn't a first timer head coach like, oh, every single one before him not named Halas.

you have to admit by that metric the Fox hire probably isn't too horribly bad. it could be Wannstedt or Jauron. or Trestman.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would disagree and say that Kevin White and Leonard Floyd were both risky, high ceiling players.

People are over-reacting to him not taking a QB. There has been 1, and only 1, starting caliber QB he has passed on in his 2 drafts, Prescott. The other starters were already off the board.

If that number creeps up, and he passes several legitimate starters that become better than Mike Glennon, your criticism will be valid. He has let the draft board come to him his first 2 seasons, and done a very good job in improving our roster.

This. This. And so much this.

CCS in a nutshell.....

CCS when Pace was hired - This is a massive job, a 3-5 year rebuild, gotta start from scratch, the team is ancient, he's got to draft.

CCS a month before is 3rd draft - Pace sucks, fire him, he is a con man, he is..... Blah blah blah

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Luke

Liked Posts:
In listening to his press conference I got seriously depressed. Especially saying he was just going to take the best player in each round and if that were QB........
Then I thought about it and came to some conclusions.
1. Glennon was his second choice, why flirt with the Pats over Jimmy G if Glennon was your guy.
2. Pace knows that unless you have the first pick in the draft and someone like Aikman coming available, QB will NEVER be the highest rated player. Teams simply value QB too much and draft them higher than they are rated.
3. I think there are two different forces at work here. Fox who needs to win games and save his job and Pace who needs to build the team.
4. Pace did lay out his plan,build thru the draft, no high dollar FA. It's a slow way to build but it is working. Even with a crap secondary they were in the top ten defensively for most of the year until the injuries just overwhelmed them. They may not have great starters but they now have depth and competition.
5. He's saying exactly what he should say if he really has his eye on a particular QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This should be no surprise to anyone, especially since he signed MG. He can take a stud at #3 and the highest ranked player on their board at each pick thereafter which is what a good GM does. What we don't know is how he has the QB's who will be available at 36 graded. Most likely, the stars will have to align for a QB to be graded as high as a dropping 1st round graded player who can probably start immediately. I know this board refused to face reality, but there is no time like the present.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Wrong again. The reason I want him to draft one at #3 is that I think he can get a legit franchise QB in this draft. Unlike those who read drafttek.com's first mock in January and take it as an objective gospel of grades, some of us can actually think and evaluate for ourselves and form our own opinion.

So then you don't think that the interview process and putting them on the white board matters when drafting a QB then obviously?? I'll bet you every single GM thinks that those are two of the most important things in drafting a QB and the interview process is huge for any player especially QB. Maybe all GM's should make their decisions off of what they see on tv and on the internet like you do.

We can all guess on what we think these players will be from what we see on tv and on the internet and will always have a 50-50 shot at being right but there's sooooooo much more to drafting players that nobody on a message board has any access to.