Why?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Not bad. I did a PC convertible project a while back for a client. Close to same form factor and concept. Lot of things you can do with G1 laptops(or DG1), but oddly, TRUE restorations are impossible.

AussieBear

Not bad. I did a PC convertible project a while back for a client. Close to same form factor and concept. Lot of things you can do with G1 laptops(or DG1), but oddly, TRUE restorations are impossible.

what did you do to that convertable.. got it running stock/upgrade or some fancy mod

do you have a reliable go to site for old parts?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
what did you do to that convertable.. got it running stock/upgrade or some fancy mod

do you have a reliable go to site for old parts?

I just use mouser for most projects. I don't think there is a site for parts, other than used part markets/ebay.

As far as the PC Convertable project. I had a HP 200 palmtop with a destroyed shell that wound up being the 186 donor board upgrade. And I don't remember what, but I found a backlit display that was 2mm bigger that fit the bezel end perfectly. G1s are mostly frontlit. I don't do a lot of snap-in/plug-in-play or solder-10-wires type of projects for other people. They usually want something unique and not researchable on google. But, it's their dream project, likely someone who sat in front of one for 10 years, and wanted to make it special. I don't see why you need to do anything other than get it working.

AussieBear

I just use mouser for most projects. I don't think there is a site for parts, other than used part markets/ebay.

As far as the PC Convertable project. I had a HP 200 palmtop with a destroyed shell that wound up being the 186 donor board upgrade. And I don't remember what, but I found a backlit display that was 2mm bigger that fit the bezel end perfectly. G1s are mostly frontlit. I don't do a lot of snap-in/plug-in-play or solder-10-wires type of projects for other people. They usually want something unique and not researchable on google. But, it's their dream project, likely someone who sat in front of one for 10 years, and wanted to make it special. I don't see why you need to do anything other than get it working.

getting it working is my only goal.. im not a modder, nor do i possess those skills.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
getting it working is my only goal.. im not a modder, nor do i possess those skills.

I honestly wouldn't even bother doing anything with it myself, unless I had an easy fix. I don't think there is a market for them. Broken ones go for $20, repaired $40, and fully-refurbished(soldering required) $80-100, depending on condition. Pack it into a corner and forget about it for a rainy day project(with hopes it goes up in value), or sell it as is IMO.

They don't hold value because they aren't internal HDD models and not a true IBM clone, so software is limited. The one saving grace though for niche collectors, Toshiba used a decent ALPs-*style* switch on the keyboard.
https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/toshiba-t1200-minitouch-t4656.html

White ALP variants are the least desirable, but still very nice, better than most modern switches.

That also includes keycaps that might be worth $25 alone, depending on condition because they all seem to be doubleshot PBT. Find out which switches you have. ALPs switches are top-tier keyswitches. To compare, if you bought a modern keyboard with Cherry/Gateron/Razer, the ALPs would be like fresh pastries from a fine bakery and the MX-types would be like buying discounted Little Debbies. Good ALPs are very desirable to the right person. ALPs clones are not as desirable, but still much better than stale nutty buddies.

czman

Liked Posts:
I was with you up to you typed:

building up my tech stock for the kid. hes about to turn 4, but when hes 5 1/2 -6 he'll have tons of old pc hardware to fuck with.. and it wont matter if he breaks anything. just trying to steer him towards the tech tree via accessibility. once i have the parts for the t1200 and it all works ill pull it back apart and he can learn how to rebuild that.

ive already got like 10 loose cpus ranging from p4 to xeon x3470.. several mobos.. 4-5 shitty gpus, sound cards robotic kits.. raspberry pi etc etc..

i remember being 5 and having access to my bros commodore 64..games were fun but i enjoyed trying to copy codes of basic out of magazines to make game...so i figure 5-6 is a good age to start.. life got in the way for me by 8 and i didnt have acess to a pc again til i was 17.. but eh it is what it is.. hopefully he likes the shit.. if not i got plenty of bike parts ive been collecting too..

If you wanted to do the restore I for a geeky art, I could kind of see it. Not my bag, but I guess it would make sense. I don't see it making any sense for kids. Well at least to to a person who has kids that older and tried crap like that.

I think it makes more sense to start with Chess. "Snap Circuits" is really good first learning tool. After that maybe an arduino. Then a Raspberry Pi.

If you just want to have him mess with hardware, you can build a modern PC (minus the keyboard, mouse, monitor) for 250-300 bucks and a OEM OS is only about 20 bucks or just use an old key. You would have a much better learning platform, at a very decent price. The reality is that I don't think most kids will be interested in a Toshiba T1200. Cell phones and Tablets are inexpensive and so many kids have access to them at very early ages.

I think chess is a very good foundation for logic and it makes sense for all kids to start playing at 6 or 7. I also like the idea of an all-in-one touchscreen that is inexpensive at an early age for kids.

I also understand the having boys and wanting things they can break, because they are boys. A computer though is pretty sturdy if you don't take it apart multiple times and I am not sure how much more someone can learn from that as opposed to an arduino (which is a lot cheaper).

Just my thoughts. Have fun with your kid(s).

AussieBear

I was with you up to you typed:

If you wanted to do the restore I for a geeky art, I could kind of see it. Not my bag, but I guess it would make sense. I don't see it making any sense for kids. Well at least to to a person who has kids that older and tried crap like that.

I think it makes more sense to start with Chess. "Snap Circuits" is really good first learning tool. After that maybe an arduino. Then a Raspberry Pi.

If you just want to have him mess with hardware, you can build a modern PC (minus the keyboard, mouse, monitor) for 250-300 bucks and a OEM OS is only about 20 bucks or just use an old key. You would have a much better learning platform, at a very decent price. The reality is that I don't think most kids will be interested in a Toshiba T1200. Cell phones and Tablets are inexpensive and so many kids have access to them at very early ages.

I think chess is a very good foundation for logic and it makes sense for all kids to start playing at 6 or 7. I also like the idea of an all-in-one touchscreen that is inexpensive at an early age for kids.

I also understand the having boys and wanting things they can break, because they are boys. A computer though is pretty sturdy if you don't take it apart multiple times and I am not sure how much more someone can learn from that as opposed to an arduino (which is a lot cheaper).

Just my thoughts. Have fun with your kid(s).

im not a chess guy or we would play.

hes turning 4 soon but he already has an ipad. a friend of ours bought him it about a year ago when my son was in hospital for 2 weeks after a surgery. its used as a reward device now. we still try to limit his use with it atm.

he also has a pc, its the xeon x3470 i bought to part out and OC. but i came across another xeon workstation for a good price, so i just gave him the x3470 as his first pc. he hasnt used it yet, but always asks for it. im like spell this word and its yours today... one days hes going to spell something right.. but if not another year or so and something easy to spell and its his.

already have a drawer full of old cell phones for him too.. iphone 4 is probably the best one in there. the wifes cracked screen iphone 5 is mine when i get around to fixing it.. i still use her last top left dead pixel htc one..

its not specifically about the t1200, its just about tinkering with stuff that i dont care if he breaks it. i mean once its running it wouldnt be used for much, perhaps we'd sell it and id cut the boy in on half the profit.. show him out to make some cash i guess.

the wife and i do a lot of skill building with him.. the wife is more about the traditional academics though.. im more about hands on technical skills and creativity. just in case traditional schooling isnt his thang and some technical program would be better suited for him in the future. whatever he decides to do with his future is up to him though... we really dont care for the most part.... just wrap it up and stay way from them hard drugs...boi

thanks for the advice though

czman

Liked Posts:
Chess is a great game and never to late to learn. I am that douche that gets all of my relatives kids a chess set between 8-10. My son like chess; not as much as I did.

AussieBear

Chess is a great game and never to late to learn. I am that douche that gets all of my relatives kids a chess set between 8-10. My son like chess; not as much as I did.

beats being the cribbage guy -- the uncle swore by this....

im the age inappropriate guy.. had my 10 yr old nephew playing bf1 awhile back.. his folks werent very happy.. i forget hes ten sometimes.. hes already 5'11-6'0... hes gonna be a big one... but he enjoyed the game..

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Nobody plays go? Go, IMO, is the ultimate logic building game, as it may be relatable to computing.

czman

Liked Posts:
Nobody plays go? Go, IMO, is the ultimate logic building game, as it may be relatable to computing.

They are both pretty much solved games at this point. Go is probably more logical and Chess is probably more tactical. I like Chess far more and think it is a better game for calculating. I always found game a simpler game to calculate, but I probably also played against far weaker competition. Honestly there are far more people who play chess so it is easier for kids to find games.

I also don't know why you would assume no one plays it.

AussieBear

go is fun, but ive only played it in asia. i dont think ive ever met a westerner who owned a go set..