Chicago Blackhawks (C1) vs. Nashville Predators (WC2)

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One more expectation:

If the 'hawks team D gives up 54 SA like they did in 2015 game 1 against the preds, Rocky subjects them all to an unwanted, ghost pepper juice enema. In no universe was that remotely excusable.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Central was the weakest division this year. Not that it means much in the grand scheme of things but this isn't 2015 where the Central made the 2017 Metro look milquetoast in comparison.

You think? I mean...does Corsi back that up? The Stars were the most disappointing team in NHL, but they could still score. We scored a bunch. The Wild at one point won like 22 of 25? I believe we have the two best teams in the west in the central.

Does it shake out that way after home/away and head to heads have been adjusted? Its tough to say from week to week in the NHL who is good, it changes with single injuries drastically, making several lines adjust often.

The 2016 Blackhawks messed up chemistry by trading for more talented players. The 2017 Minnesota Wild did the same. Both are as deep as any squad not in D.C..

We have a full roster.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Central was the weakest division this year. Not that it means much in the grand scheme of things but this isn't 2015 where the Central made the 2017 Metro look milquetoast in comparison.

I thought the Pacific takes that honor with two aging teams past their prime (Anaheim, San Jose) and a few upstart, young teams that haven't quite put it all together yet (Edmonton, Calgary)

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Morning skate.

Shake n Smaltz- Captain Serious - PANIC!!!

Bread- In Soviet Russia AA drinks you!!!(alcohol anonymous)- Butter

Ryan "the hitman" Hartman - Kero - Hossa

Desjardins- Kruger - Hayden

Its Q...gotta think he goes vet structure, guys he trusts. He'll toy with that Desjardins spot throughout the playoffs, throw things around Hossa until they work and try again.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Edmonton/Anaheim are threats, but I don't think they are complete enough. Anaheim scorers are aging, and Edmonton needs another off-season.

I wonder if the Sharks have another gear, because they have old guys that lead them. Full spark could still be formidable. And Anaheim getting soft goals on us. Thats about all I'm losing sleep over. I think Nashville or the Blues would be a nightmare series for the entirety of the Metro.

I hate this playoff format, I think it stagnates the game. Sure over millenia you can see every matchup, but a straight 1-8 adjusted for equal divisions somewhat would allow the natural point variance to make a bunch of things happen.

I really don't like playing division opponents we know so well. I would have loved to see us against Joe Thornton in a playoff series. To see two of the best passers I have ever seen (Kane/Thornton) going pass for pass up and down the ice.

The regular season is adaquate to establish division dominance, and I would really like to

4 vs 4 play the divisions off each other. Metro vs Central. first round.

Then if we meet a division opponent over a series with significant meaning....like that Hawks vs Blues series last year was the best of the playoffs, in the first round. stupid.

We could have dusted the Sharks, the Blues go Gladiate against Anaheim, and play that series in the conference championship.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You think? I mean...does Corsi back that up? The Stars were the most disappointing team in NHL, but they could still score. We scored a bunch. The Wild at one point won like 22 of 25? I believe we have the two best teams in the west in the central.

Does it shake out that way after home/away and head to heads have been adjusted? Its tough to say from week to week in the NHL who is good, it changes with single injuries drastically, making several lines adjust often.

The 2016 Blackhawks messed up chemistry by trading for more talented players. The 2017 Minnesota Wild did the same. Both are as deep as any squad not in D.C..

We have a full roster.

I thought the Pacific takes that honor with two aging teams past their prime (Anaheim, San Jose) and a few upstart, young teams that haven't quite put it all together yet (Edmonton, Calgary)

The league average standings points for this year was 91.63. The divisions were as follows: Central: 88.86 (-2.78), Pacific 89.43 (-2.20), Atlantic 90.38 (-1.26), and Metro 97.25 (+5.62). The league median was 94 points: Central and Pacific's median were both 94, with the Atlantic at 94.5 and the Metro's at 98 (medians included to adjust for outlier teams--i.e. The Central and Pacific were close to middle of the road--but the Pacific had the Yotes and Canucks pulling the average down slightly, and the Central had the *really* bad Avs).

Keep in mind that play within the division pretty much averages out to a number slightly more than 1 standing point per game (thank the loser point/skills competition bonus point for making it not a perfect 1--or a league average of 82 standings points)--it's extradivisional play that raises and lowers the division average and median above and below the league's average/median. Every time Central plays Central, usually someone wins 2 points, someone wins 0 (unless the loser point/skills competition bonus points raises it)--hence averaging out. For the Central to have been 2.78 points under the league average, more teams in the central had to lose in extradivisional play rather than winning. Contrast to the Metro--where 5.62 points above the league means more Metro teams were winning outside of the division than were losing--significantly more.

Contrast that to 2015 when the Central was dominant: League average 92.00: Central 99.43 (+7.43), Pacific 86.14 (-5.86), Atlantic 90.75 (-1.25), and Metro (91.88 (-0.13). League median 97.50: Central 100.00 (+2.5), Pacific 95.00 (-2.50), Atlantic 97.50 (even), and the Metro at 93.50 (-4.00). The central was just that good in 2015.

We did have 2 teams in the central that were better than the top team in the Pacific, but we also had the worst team in the league in the division down and should have been more easy points for the top teams--in other words, if the Central was more powerful than the Pacific, with as bad as the Avs were Chicago & Minny should have finished with more points. To wit: if Chicago would have finished with 113 as opposed to 109 points, The Central would have had the same average as the Pacific: and that would have happened just forcing 4 games into OT.

It might not mean that much, but yeah, the Central, since peaking in 2015 has been sliding down, The Pacific, after bottoming out in 2016 is on an upswing.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
chevy-chase-no-math.jpg

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The league average standings points for this year was 91.63. The divisions were as follows: Central: 88.86 (-2.78), Pacific 89.43 (-2.20), Atlantic 90.38 (-1.26), and Metro 97.25 (+5.62). The league median was 94 points: Central and Pacific's median were both 94, with the Atlantic at 94.5 and the Metro's at 98 (medians included to adjust for outlier teams--i.e. The Central and Pacific were close to middle of the road--but the Pacific had the Yotes and Canucks pulling the average down slightly, and the Central had the *really* bad Avs).

Keep in mind that play within the division pretty much averages out to a number slightly more than 1 standing point per game (thank the loser point/skills competition bonus point for making it not a perfect 1--or a league average of 82 standings points)--it's extradivisional play that raises and lowers the division average and median above and below the league's average/median. Every time Central plays Central, usually someone wins 2 points, someone wins 0 (unless the loser point/skills competition bonus points raises it)--hence averaging out. For the Central to have been 2.78 points under the league average, more teams in the central had to lose in extradivisional play rather than winning. Contrast to the Metro--where 5.62 points above the league means more Metro teams were winning outside of the division than were losing--significantly more.

Contrast that to 2015 when the Central was dominant: League average 92.00: Central 99.43 (+7.43), Pacific 86.14 (-5.86), Atlantic 90.75 (-1.25), and Metro (91.88 (-0.13). League median 97.50: Central 100.00 (+2.5), Pacific 95.00 (-2.50), Atlantic 97.50 (even), and the Metro at 93.50 (-4.00). The central was just that good in 2015.

We did have 2 teams in the central that were better than the top team in the Pacific, but we also had the worst team in the league in the division down and should have been more easy points for the top teams--in other words, if the Central was more powerful than the Pacific, with as bad as the Avs were Chicago & Minny should have finished with more points. To wit: if Chicago would have finished with 113 as opposed to 109 points, The Central would have had the same average as the Pacific: and that would have happened just forcing 4 games into OT.

It might not mean that much, but yeah, the Central, since peaking in 2015 has been sliding down, The Pacific, after bottoming out in 2016 is on an upswing.

bad teams ruin everything. Particulrly Colorado. Its a division opponent without air. I mean fuck that. Then Dallas was much better than their record. There are no easy games in NHL, Colorado was amazingly bad. Did they catch Edmonton of a couple years ago?

Good stats. I'm just sick of our division opponents by the time we get to playoffs, particularly because they are always building rosters with us in mind.

By the time the playoffs get here, I just want to smack up the Pacific division....but I guess Nashville is preferred to Anaheim. The other 2 in Central, I just assume play anybody else but Washington.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Real good stuff KOTL. The Central Division has definitely been on a decline, especially with the way St. Louis and Minnesota had their own mid/late season implosions. The Hawks were pretty much the only constant all season. While the Hawks might be able to hang on in the next few season thanks to its youngsters producing now, I don't see as much hope for Minnesota and St. Louis. Meanwhile in the Pacific, Calgary has plenty of young building blocks and that one guy in Edmonton could very well be the best hockey player on the planet right now.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Also Rozi had surgery to repair fractured facial bones today. No word yet on if/how long he'll be out.

And Anisimov was good to go at the skate as Rask put in this line combos, so no ill effects from his late-season injury thus far.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
bad teams ruin everything. Particulrly Colorado. Its a division opponent without air. I mean fuck that. Then Dallas was much better than their record. There are no easy games in NHL, Colorado was amazingly bad. Did they catch Edmonton of a couple years ago?

Good stats. I'm just sick of our division opponents by the time we get to playoffs, particularly because they are always building rosters with us in mind.

By the time the playoffs get here, I just want to smack up the Pacific division....but I guess Nashville is preferred to Anaheim. The other 2 in Central, I just assume play anybody else but Washington.
Well, yes and no. In 2006 Detroit ran the league with us as the punching bag. If the Central was on-average as tough as the rest of the league this year, With a cupcake like the Avs, they should have taken the President's trophy. They didn't...Washington did seeing much tougher competition.

Real good stuff KOTL. The Central Division has definitely been on a decline, especially with the way St. Louis and Minnesota had their own mid/late season implosions. The Hawks were pretty much the only constant all season. While the Hawks might be able to hang on in the next few season thanks to its youngsters producing now, I don't see as much hope for Minnesota and St. Louis. Meanwhile in the Pacific, Calgary has plenty of young building blocks and that one guy in Edmonton could very well be the best hockey player on the planet right now.

The thing is, unless a huge chunk of teams are just mismanaged (the Atlantic comes to mind since they've been yo-yo-ing in mediocrity since 2014), the division strength will cycle. The Metro was mediocre in 2014, rose in 2015, Passed the central in 2016, and may have plateau'ed in 2017. The Pacific was dropping in 2014, sank in 2015, hit rock bottom in 2016, and now is on the rise. The Central was up in 2014, plateaued in 2015, fell from 1st in 2016, and now is falling more. Only the Atl is an outlier. It was bottom in 2014, rose a bit in 2015, dropped in 2016, and then rose a bit in 2017--basically middle of the pack.

I fully expect within the next couple of years for the bottom central teams to start reloading (with new players and possibly coaches management), and it to rise again in the near future.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also Rozi had surgery to repair fractured facial bones today. No word yet on if/how long he'll be out.

And Anisimov was good to go at the skate as Rask put in this line combos, so no ill effects from his late-season injury thus far.

True to his blood oathe from nam with Q, Rozi can see he isn't top 6 and smashed his own face on the bathroom sink, claimed a puck block.

He had to save his buddy from himself. Thank you Rozi, #truewarrior #realdino

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The boys need to circle the wagons, one pass/shift at a time, one game at a time, when the going gets tough...the tough get going. Time to have a hard look in the mirror. Eye of the tiger, play the Rocky music. The series is comparable to a heavy weight boxing match and the Hawks are playing ropadope feeling out the opponent. The league has the fix in on this series and wants a game 7 for ratings. :shrug:

And a penis for good luck.

darkvirage

Liked Posts:
Just get that first goal Monday night and I think the floodgates will open.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Game 2 against Nashville was the worst playoff performance I can remember-- at least in the last 25 years.
Game 1 was just two snake bit teams. Game 2 was an entire team taking the night off.
I'm still trying to figure out how people can tweet "Don't worry." If the 2010, 13, or 15 team was down 0-2, I'd still have some confidence, but this team looked completely disinterested.