In Memoriam: HHM Gameday Foodblog Thread, Chicago Blackhawks vs Nashville Game 4

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Catching pucks thrown right at your glove or blocking shots from a near 90 degree angle to the goal is "playing out of your mind"?

Besides that derp where he left the net and dove back just in time to keep the puck out of his net, when did he have a highlight reel save?

The Hawks missed the net on 50% of their shots... the Preds skaters blocked another 25% of the shots.... And about 99% of the shots that got to Rinne hit him in the midsection/glove and were shots he saw all the way in because the Hawks never got in front of him, never gave him trouble, never got physical with him.

I hate to harp on the casual hockey fan, but Rinne played a very average game while his D and FWDs played out of their minds.... I've never seen a team suffocate in all 3 zones the way the Preds did.

And even when they didn't, the Hawk players were so bad they could barely put decent shots on him.... his job was very easy considering the context around him.

I have nothing against Rinne, he did his job, but it really pisses me off when the goalie is given credit for the work the skaters do in front of him.

Reminds me of the Semi-Final game in the Olympics between the US & Canada. US barely challenged their goalie and just kept throwing pucks to the net with no one in front of it. I believe they were shut-out 1-0 but the game seemed like a cakewalk for Canada.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Reminds me of the Semi-Final game in the Olympics between the US & Canada. US barely challenged their goalie and just kept throwing pucks to the net with no one in front of it. I believe they were shut-out 1-0 but the game seemed like a cakewalk for Canada.

Drives me nuts when people automatically call a goalie amazing or lights-out or w/e and ignore the opposing team failing/struggling.... the D in front playing well, keeping traffic away, keeping sight lines clear, blocking most shots...

FTR it is equally nonsense when a goalie is doing all they can, facing odd man situations... facing breakaways.... having tap-in goals put in behind them cause none of the skaters in front of them are doing their job and then the same people go "Oh god this goalie sux, pull this guy he is fucking awful...."

The score on the board is not 100% related to the goalie.... you could have a goalie give up 4 or 5 goals and still be playing out of their mind.

You can also have a goalie get a shutout or give up 1-2 goals and actually be playing shitty.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Drives me nuts when people automatically call a goalie amazing or lights-out or w/e and ignore the opposing team failing/struggling.... the D in front playing well, keeping traffic away, keeping sight lines clear, blocking most shots...

FTR it is equally nonsense when a goalie is doing all they can, facing odd man situations... facing breakaways.... having tap-in goals put in behind them cause none of the skaters in front of them are doing their job and then the same people go "Oh god this goalie sux, pull this guy he is fucking awful...."

The score on the board is not 100% related to the goalie.... you could have a goalie give up 4 or 5 goals and still be playing out of their mind.

You can also have a goalie get a shutout or give up 1-2 goals and actually be playing shitty.

And that's why anyone who's watched the Hawks in the last couple of seasons knows the value of Crawford. While Corey's numbers may not lead the league in any category, he's been under siege so often that the numbers he's been able to put up are damn impressive, IMO.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And that's why anyone who's watched the Hawks in the last couple of seasons knows the value of Crawford. While Corey's numbers may not lead the league in any category, he's been under siege so often that the numbers he's been able to put up are damn impressive, IMO.

Goaltending is the least of our problems.... though who is Crow's backup will become a big question now.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Blews just tied the Preds 3-3 with 10 left in the third. Pretty good game so far.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Blews just tied the Preds 3-3 with 10 left in the third. Pretty good game so far.

Then Jake Allen went full Special person.... I want the Preds to lose...

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then Jake Allen went full Special person.... I want the Preds to lose...

Definitely. I thought the Blews had that one with the momentum they got from the comeback.