Glennon, Hoyer, Peterman, Kaaya

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is really time for the Bears to be done with the limp dick answers to the QB question.

Can we please stop trying to fill the most important position in sports and the one you need a difference maker at to win a Super Bowl, with mediocre, cheap (cash and draft), game managers.

We did this shit for a decade with Lovie and it leads nowhere. A historic defense made 1 Super Bowl and had no chance of winning because their fucking limited game manager QB threw the game away.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1-15, 4-12, 8-8...all feels the same to me. Not a chance in fucking hell.

Let's get our QB at #3.

They are all the same.

I would love to have some hope. I don't even care if it is fucking false hope. I would like to enter a season knowing that we aren't going to be slugging it out to go 8-8 and have no chance of sniffing the playoffs.

Let's get a game manager in here, we will play defense and run the ball and maybe just maybe once a decade we can slip into the playoffs.

Fuck that. Spent 20 years of my life watching that shit.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I said this yesterday in another thread but all of these guys have flaws that preclude them from becoming top 10 QBs, unlike Watson, Mahomes, Trubisky and even Kizer.

Peterman (arm, athleticism)
Webb (can't anticipate throws, inability to climb the pocket)
Kaaya (can't see pressure coming or operate under it)
Dobbs (not natural passer, misses a ton of short throws)

Even the guys on here that like one of these QB talk about them becoming a solid NFL QB if everything works out.

- We already have a guy who is likely to get 2017 trying to become a solid NFL QB.
- We need to aim higher than that because solid QB play very, very rarely leads to a Championship.

I find it even more baffling that people are willing to settle for a potentially average QB given the context of us not having had an exciting QB since McMahon. McMahon was my childhood hero growing up in the UK. I am now 38. Can we please just have someone to get excited about?

Stockholm syndrome
noun
feelings of trust or affection felt in many cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim towards a captor.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It is really time for the Bears to be done with the limp dick answers to the QB question.

Can we please stop trying to fill the most important position in sports and the one you need a difference maker at to win a Super Bowl, with mediocre, cheap (cash and draft), game managers.

We did this shit for a decade with Lovie and it leads nowhere. A historic defense made 1 Super Bowl and had no chance of winning because their fucking limited game manager QB threw the game away.
Why do people continue to confuse the Bears inability to get a franchise QB with an unwillingness to spend "cash and draft" picks on the same?

Between the 1st rnd pick used on Grossman and the 2 1st given up for Cutler , not many teams have allocated that much draft capital towards QB's since 2000. And as far as unwillingness to spend cash on the QB, what the fuck are you talking about? They gave Cutler a $100+ M contract that they hoped he would fulfill and have been derided for the money thrown at Glennon.

This is Donald Trump level ignore reality type shit.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Why do people continue to confuse the Bears inability to get a franchise QB with an unwillingness to spend "cash and draft" picks on the same?

Between the 1st rnd pick used on Grossman and the 2 1st given up for Cutler , not many teams have allocated that much draft capital towards QB's since 2000. And as far as unwillingness to spend cash on the QB, what the fuck are you talking about? They gave Cutler a $100+ M contract that they hoped he would fulfill and have been derided for the money thrown at Glennon.

List of QBs taken by round since 1990...

2 drafted in 1st round
0 drafted in 2nd round
1 drafted in 3rd round
2 drafted in 4th round
2 drafted in 5th round
2 drafted in 6th round
2 drafted in 7th round

So that's three QBs taken in the top three rounds in the last 26 drafts.

If you think that is a reasonable investment in the most important position in sports, I don't know what to tell you.

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
I said this yesterday in another thread but all of these guys have flaws that preclude them from becoming top 10 QBs, unlike Watson, Mahomes, Trubisky and even Kizer.

Peterman (arm, athleticism)

Athleticism in terms of what? If its scrambling he was actually faster than I thought he would be. He's a better athlete than Kaaya IMO. I don't see where his athleticism would hinder him at next level.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are all the same.

I would love to have some hope. I don't even care if it is fucking false hope. I would like to enter a season knowing that we aren't going to be slugging it out to go 8-8 and have no chance of sniffing the playoffs.

Let's get a game manager in here, we will play defense and run the ball and maybe just maybe once a decade we can slip into the playoffs.

I wouldn't classify Jay Cutler and Rex Grossman as game managers.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
They are all the same.

Youngsters...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I wasn't talking about what they have done I was talking about what everyone thinks they should do at the position.

Signing Hoyer last year-wanting him back this season, even signing Glennon, drafting Peterman in the 3rd are all half measure responses to the biggest question in football.

The truth is that this is a not a problem a 3rd round pick or a 1 year 15 million dollar deal will fix.

But reading the OP again I can see how it reads that way.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

2 drafted in 1st round
0 drafted in 2nd round
1 drafted in 3rd round
2 drafted in 4th round
2 drafted in 5th round
2 drafted in 6th round
2 drafted in 7th round

If you think that is a reasonable investment in the most important position in sports, I don't know what to tell you.
That would seem true if I were ignorant of the fact that they also traded a 1 for Mirer and 2 1's for Cutler. Again they have tried, the just have suck really bad at it.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Athleticism in terms of what? If its scrambling he was actually faster than I thought he would be. He's a better athlete than Kaaya IMO. I don't see where his athleticism would hinder him at next level.

His arm strength means he won't be able to fit the ball into the right windows NFL defenses give you or drive the ball downfield for the 20 yard plus throws you need to make to keep DBs honest. His lack of athleticism is not going to help him extend plays or escape pressure, let alone scramble. Comparing him to the least athletic QB prospect in the class in Kaaya does not make me feel better about him.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't classify Jay Cutler and Rex Grossman as game managers.
Not in style of play, but certainly in production, and lack of ability to take control of a game and win it through their superior play, save for the odd occasion here or there. They were both too limited and flawed to be the centerpiece of a team capable of contending with and beating the best.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

2 drafted in 1st round
0 drafted in 2nd round
1 drafted in 3rd round
2 drafted in 4th round
2 drafted in 5th round
2 drafted in 6th round
2 drafted in 7th round

Doesn't one really have to include the two #1 picks they gave for Cutler? I get the point but it isn't as bad as your example intends. Though still bad, really they missed.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Doesn't one really have to include the two #1 picks they gave for Cutler? I get the point but it isn't as bad as your example intends. Though still bad, really they missed.

I don't blame Angelo for making the move. That was just a miss, not a lack of effort. But the willingness to not only persevere with him after it didn't work out, but to actually reward him with a huge extension after the 2013 season is just as inexcusable in terms of settling for mediocrity as the general inaction being discussed.

They've made one single attempt (the 2009 trade) to significantly improve the position in 14 years, and this is the third regime in charge since then.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I wasn't talking about what they have done I was talking about what everyone thinks they should do at the position.

Signing Hoyer last year-wanting him back this season, even signing Glennon, drafting Peterman in the 3rd are all half measure responses to the biggest question in football.

Are you really whining about who they signed as a backup last season and two guys that haven't even been drafted yet as examples of an issue with their effort to fill the starting QB spot?

And who is this "everyone?" Did said "everyone" really want Hoyer back to start? Or to draft Peterman in the third? Or are you just conjuring up a boogie man for you to rail against?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
from a gm timeline perspective our investment at qb has been grossman, orton, cutler, fales, glennon. I would say the most significant move was the cutler trade but we wouldn't accept failure with that move and up until this season and over 100 mil wasted later we waste another big contract on a backup. I think it would be about time to make a real investment especially since we are picking 3

- financial investments in top five picks are normal now not cap killing so a miss won't kill you
- we won't need to trade draft picks from this year or future to get our guy
- rookie qb doesn't need to play right away
- our qb depth chart stinks

We can go on and on can't wait until Thursday to see if pace has a clue

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

Cutler's a good example of our dysfunction. I don't blame them for swinging (and multiple firsts at that) particularly given the 2009/10 drafts were terrible at QB. The big contract was awful though and it meant that a guy we should have bailed on after four years stayed with us twice as long.

But even with Cutler not showing any signs of progressing, we still drafted no-one to develop behind him.

If you include Cutler, we've taken three legitimate shots at the position since 1990: McNown, Grossman and Cutler. If you're that bad at identifying talent, you should be trying every other year at least until you get lucky or find an executive worth a shit.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

But reading the OP again I can see how it reads that way.

Yeah the repeated harping on what they had done definitely made me think you were talking about what they had done.
My mistake.