Blackhawks fire assistant coach Mike Kitchen

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So like Brian Campbell? Michal Kempny? Gustav Forsling? Erik Gustafsson even statically had that last season but he took risks to do it.

But they need is a right handed Dman to do it. Pokka is the only prospect and isn't quick which hurts and they really need a RHD to provide it of Vegas snags TVR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They better make a deal with Vegas if its TVR. He was the only defender that showed up these playoffs. Should be fine protecting TVR, its Hartman that was the extra guy they were looking to protect. Panarin is not eligible for the draft.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Kitchen was in charge of the D.

Have to wonder what if any feedback from the player exit meetings had to do with his be-heading.

D overall and Pentalty kill, which was the bigger reason I think he was let go. Well, honestly he was let go because Bowman is swinging his twig at Q.
The firing of Dent in Rockford kinda showed they were not on the same page with developing the talent we had.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
They better make a deal with Vegas if its TVR. He was the only defender that showed up these playoffs. Should be fine protecting TVR, its Hartman that was the extra guy they were looking to protect. Panarin is not eligible for the draft.
Yeah they can protect TVR since Rozi covers dman eligibility but then that would expose Hartman unless they twist it to have Hoss or AA grant exposing eligibility.

Dent should of been fired a bit ago. So few guys who remain in Rockford a full season since his control pan out. Hartman was a rare exception. But if not did Michael Leighton Dent probably would of been gone 2 years ago or last year

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Sorry, I thought my sarcasm was implicit enough... to often the defenses part of the offense was to wait for the forward to circle around and then pass it to them so that he could race across the blue link in between 2 defenders with it. Then they would sit back and wait for the pinch.

Oops.

peanut-o.gif

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Yeah they can protect TVR since Rozi covers dman eligibility but then that would expose Hartman unless they twist it to have Hoss or AA grant exposing eligibility.

Dent should of been fired a bit ago. So few guys who remain in Rockford a full season since his control pan out. Hartman was a rare exception. But if not did Michael Leighton Dent probably would of been gone 2 years ago or last year

Yeah, and if you read the article from Chris Hine in the Tribune today, he sorta did some dumb shit with his reactions to the Hawks calling up/trading/moving his AHL players around and deserved to get canned. I can understand a coach being frustrated, but he handled it like a moron.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Now the word is out there that Q might not even be choosing the Kitchen replacement. If this turns to a head coach in waiting deal, it is going to get messy here in Chicago with a swordfight in this dick swinging competition.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

With the threat of a 4.25M recapture penalty over the next 4 years...I seriously doubt Stan even asks. He'll just volunteer to be Hossa's houseboy. :p

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would have fired Kitchen too, dude has a rat face.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hartman vs TVR might have become a more narrow decision than it seemed in March.

I think if you look at years of control...I mean I don't know but I would guess that tips the scale in Hartman's favor.

We can expose TVR, Jurco, Kruger, Lehtonen or something? Probably Clyde and Lord know, I don't have the patience to go figure it out.

They would be smart to outbid us for Darling outright, and/or go after Bishop.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Now the word is out there that Q might not even be choosing the Kitchen replacement. If this turns to a head coach in waiting deal, it is going to get messy here in Chicago with a swordfight in this dick swinging competition.
No... just no. stop. Could bowman be picking the guy, yes. Would it be a head coach in waiting deal. No... that is just stupid. You don't try to fix a Hall of Fame coach by trying to put his replacement on the staff. That would only exacerbate the problems and destroy the locker room. You might as well just fire Q now and not completely waste next season.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

its a good firing in several ways, even to keep Q up at night. To rattle Q and let the players know it, so they fucking play for him and not quit on him.

It was time for a change, and to get a fresh opinion on how to PK and defend, especially with so many defensive personell decisions coming at us fast.

And the league is changing fast, and it was wasn't working. I don't know what there is to debate except for having compassion for a few Q tears in his pillow.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
its a good firing in several ways, even to keep Q up at night. To rattle Q and let the players know it, so they fucking play for him and not quit on him.

It was time for a change, and to get a fresh opinion on how to PK and defend, especially with so many defensive personell decisions coming at us fast.
In my opinion, the only other move that's now necessary to reinforce this, would be to trade a big name, or leave it unprotected for the draft... I'm not implying anyone, just saying, you have to do both in order to make it clear from top to bottom that everyone has a job to do and everyone needs to do it because no one is safe.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
No... just no. stop. Could bowman be picking the guy, yes. Would it be a head coach in waiting deal. No... that is just stupid. You don't try to fix a Hall of Fame coach by trying to put his replacement on the staff. That would only exacerbate the problems and destroy the locker room. You might as well just fire Q now and not completely waste next season.
Hitchcock is gonna be a hof coach... just happened to him.

But there is some degree of how long can a reign of a coach go on. Not impossible to have a thought of a guy you like out there in the league you want as a replacement but there's some coaching.

I could see if Stan thinks he could get a lucky Scotty bowman shortly to Babcock scenario if say Carolina faulters again next year and Bill Peters gets fired and fits with Stan's idea to let Q go next year if there's no playoff success for it.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Hitchcock is gonna be a hof coach... just happened to him.

But there is some degree of how long can a reign of a coach go on. Not impossible to have a thought of a guy you like out there in the league you want as a replacement but there's some coaching.

I could see if Stan thinks he could get a lucky Scotty bowman shortly to Babcock scenario if say Carolina faulters again next year and Bill Peters gets fired and fits with Stan's idea to let Q go next year if there's no playoff success for it.

1.) that's not the same, he wasn't a coach with three championships with the team, he didn't even get to the cup final. 2.) He was on a one year contract.
C.) he was set to retire anyway at the end of the season. XII.) IT DIDN'T WORK THEY FIRED HIM HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEASON.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It might depend for Q on how young Bowman wants to go.

Q clearly stagnates the young guys and doesn't trust them, preferring Rozi, Cambell and that dude from the Kings, and the dude from the Stars types to young motors that make occasional silly mistakes.

The league has changed, and Bowman may have to bring in the right guy for the new generation, not cater to the vets. Q with a good young assistant coach who understand some of this could be the right balance, or could signal a change coming.

We'll see.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You sure you're not thinking Keenan?

Hartman vs TVR might have become a more narrow decision than it seemed in March.

I think if you look at years of control...I mean I don't know but I would guess that tips the scale in Hartman's favor.

We can expose TVR, Jurco, Kruger, Lehtonen or something? Probably Clyde and Lord know, I don't have the patience to go figure it out.

They would be smart to outbid us for Darling outright, and/or go after Bishop.

The way the expansion draft works in terms of protection is this: You can either protect 8 skaters and 1G, or you can protect 7 fwds, 3 D, and 1 G. All NMC contracts, regardless of whether they're modified by a L-NTC *have* to be protected unless the player waived, and the player is under no obligation to do so.

The way the expansion draft works in terms of exposure is this: You need to expose 2 FWDs, 1D, and 1G. The FWDS and D have to have played in at least 40 games this season or at least 70 games since the start of the 2016 season--I know there's a exemption for rookies and 2nd year players as well (exempts Panarin). Both Goalies and skaters have to be signed through the 2018 season to meet exposure. Goalies can also be an RFA come the end of 2017.

So, for the 'hawks, here's how it sits:
They are protecting (fwds) Toews, Kane, Hossa, and Anisimov; (D) Seabrook, Keith and Hjammer; and (G) Crawford.
They *have* to expose 2 of Kruger, Hartman, and Tootoo, 1 of Rosival or VanReimsdyk, and Glass meets the Goalie exposure requirement.

So, right now the 'hawks have 4 FWDs protected by default, 1G protected by default, and 3D protected by default. You have to figure Tootoo, Rosie, and Glass are going to be exposed no matter what.

Like you said, the choice is Protect TVR, and that's all we can protect, or protect Hartman exposing TVR, and we get 2 more FWDs we can protect.

Dejardins, Oduya, Campbell, Jurco, Panik, and Darling are all FA's. They can be protected but they don't meet exposure requirements. If the 'ahwks protect Hartman and expose TVR, they can also protect 2 of Dejardins, Jurco, and Panik (or all three of the UFA's exposing Hartmand and TVR). Protecting Oduya or Campbell exposes TVR and Hartman (along with the FWD FA's). Protecting Darling would require Crawford to waive his NMC. They can all be taken by Vegas if not protected.

Once all of the teams submit their protection lists on June 17th, Vegas has a 72 hour window to negotiate with *all* UFA's. If Vegas comes to a deal with that UFA, they can't pick a player from the host team (i.e. Vegas could sign Darling, and there goes their Chicago pick). If they can't negotiate a term with a UFA from a team, they can pick an unprotected player. If the player is an RFA, they have all negotiating rights and compensation if they walk. If they are a regular player...welcome to Vegas.
~~~~~
So, how do the 'hawks play it?

Protecting Hartman gives them options for protecting other FWDS. Protecting TVR means they risk losing one of their FWDs. The craptacular playoffs changed a lot of things. TVR was arguably one of the best and most consistent D-men we iced. Hartman petered off. However, If you protect Hartman and risk TVR...you can also protect Panik--while we can't afford him on the surface, could be trade fodder.

The elephant in the room, though, is Darling. Assuming Crawford is not gone by the 17th of June, I would say he's far and away the most likely candidate to be taken by Vegas--he can be had for cheaper than Bishop, "Luganis" Smith, or the Varmint. He's also probably better than 2 of those 3 and could probably be tucked in for under 4M (3M is more likely) as opposed to the 5+m on the books for Smith and Varlamov--and the 5M+ Bishop will command. It's also possible Vegas could sign Bishop and Darling to 1 yr deals and see if one sticks.

Not 100% on that, but if I'm Vegas' GM, I'm giving Darling a long-hard look. If you can't make it work, you can pick someone else.

Of the rest of the players I think the most likely pics would be Kruger, TVR, Hartman, and Panik. Kruger's expensive, but defensively sound and made Toews look like Arkhipov in the playoffs. There's also a leadership factor there. Panik disappeared, but broke 20 goals. Hartman came close, and also disappeared. TVR was nothing special in the season but made Keith look like Quint in the playoffs. (Granted Toews and Keith looking like Arkhipov and Quint was more due to them playing like ass, not anything really special like Kruger and TVR--even though they both showed more heart).

Personally, I'd go with Hartman. I think Darling is going to be the one taken, and on the off chance he's not, Panik's rights could net more than TVR when trying to offload a larger contract.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I think Kruger Harman and panik get protected and dolts will probably blast Bowman but if that is the case I'm guessing he knows McPhee would of taken TVR even if Kruger and TVR are both on the table.

Plus in a more likely he has to try to trade Kruger. You'd think unprotected guys around the league will get some scoughs from GMs on the trade market or at least hurt some value.

Darling isn't going to be taken... a Ufa goalie is dumb to grab when so many options are open for them and if they want him, the bargin with UFAs is just a 2 day window anyway so very few people I could see them go after there, maybe Joe Thornton.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Is there any compensation to teams losing a player?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Kruger Harman and panik get protected and dolts will probably blast Bowman but if that is the case I'm guessing he knows McPhee would of taken TVR even if Kruger and TVR are both on the table.

Plus in a more likely he has to try to trade Kruger. You'd think unprotected guys around the league will get some scoughs from GMs on the trade market or at least hurt some value.

Darling isn't going to be taken... a Ufa goalie is dumb to grab when so many options are open for them and if they want him, the bargin with UFAs is just a 2 day window anyway so very few people I could see them go after there, maybe Joe Thornton.

I agree with that, except about Darling. If goal height size increases Darling value increases. same if pads got smaller.

If I read things correctly I would expose Rozy, Kruger, and Glass. That forces them to either take Krugers contract, or to sign Darling as their move, who we will lose anyway. I think their will be a Vegas premium they have to offer him if they want him to miss FA.

Possible or I read it wrong?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I agree with most of that write up, but dont forget the Vegas team will also need to meet that 50 whatever million cap floor. You just gave away Teuvo to lose Bicks contract and Panik is going to be expecting 3-4 million that we cannot afford. They cant do that by taking scrubs. There are plenty of teams that will be dealing with Vegas to create an affiliate team. These are players that meet the criteria of 40/70 and alot of them will be dealt for prospects to fill an affiliate since 10 of these players that have NHL experience are not going to want to go to AHL.