The Black and Blue Draft - Rebuilding the Bears identity

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The Bears remain a team without an identity. They experimented and failed trying move into the modern age of a "passing league". This league is still predicated on running the football and defense, the way it's being done is just different. Like I said in another post, I think the 3 most talented QB's to ever play the game have skewed our view on this but that is for that other thread.

This draft presents the Bears with a great opportunity to rebuild the image of the team - as a modern black and blue football team.

With the 3rd pick in the NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

5IuJHVjz_400x400.jpg

Even saying what I said above, the Bears still need a QB. You can't win in this league without a good one. This pick may shock some people coming from me. It's hard for me to pick Watson over my guy Trubisky who I truly believe is the more talented QB. Here is the thing though, I am starting to come around to the notion that maybe Watson is better suited for the Bears at this point in time. Why? The Bears lack leadership, they lack an identity and they lack a truly inspiring presence out there on the field. Watson brings that to this team. Sometimes those intangibles are more important than your talent and to a team like the Bears, I think they truly might be at this point.

With the 36th pick in the NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select, Josh Jones, S, N.C State

hqdefault.jpg

Josh Jones is the definition of an imposing presence in the back end of your defense. He gives your secondary a tone setting, tough safety who is also athletic enough to make plays in the passing game. He is one of those guys that makes receivers worried to come over the middle. That kind of toughness and presence makes a difference to your football team.

With the 67th pick in the NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select, Taylor Moton, OT, Western Michigan

CamRobinson-2017-NFL-Scouting-Combine.jpeg

"Big off the bus" is a great way to describe Taylor Moton. 6'5, 319lbs, 34' arms and nearly 11' hands. This is a big, imposing, no-nonsense style run blocking RT at the NFL level who is athletic enough to be solid in pass protection. He was a top performer in vertical jump and the 20 yard shuttle for guys at his position. A perfect talent to add and compete with Massie in training camp.

With the 111th pick in the NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select Carlos Henderson, WR, Louisiana Tech

gvdbbisxwa9kgdwsadhw

Toughness can come in many different ways. Wide receivers aren't typically seen as "tough" players but we cannot go without them and the Bears need playmakers. Henderson is the best of both worlds. Carlos Henderson does an exceptional job of making tough catches under pressure for a guy of his stature. He will go up and get it in traffic no matter who is around him. Henderson was also the FBS leader in broken tackles. Henderson is a playmaker with the ball in his hands who has the speed to take it to the house, the wiggle to make you miss and the toughness to make tough grabs. Henderson will make an immediate impact on special teams as a kick returner and be a guy to watch for as he develops his routes.

With the 117th pick in the NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select D.J Jones, DL, Ole Miss

djjones.jpg

This guy gets me a little excited in the late rounds. He is a short, stout, strong NT (6'1, 319lbs) who has good lateral mobility and athleticism for a man his size. The guy he directly compares to? Vic Fangio's favorite - Ian Williams. Fangio doesn't run your typical 3-4 with a big nose tackle all the time. Ian Williams for years was the NT for the Niners as he played more of a 1-tech in what resembled more of a 4-3 under front than a 3-4. The Bears lack a player who can really play in the middle of your defense after Goldman. D.J Jones provides you with a strong, tough, stout NT who can play a role on this team immediately in our base defense.

With the 147th pick in the NFL, the Chicago Bears select Channing Stribling, CB, Michigan - A player who fits the mold of a tall, lengthy CB who is strong in press coverage and zone - The kind that Fangio likes.

With the 221st pick in the NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select Connor Harris, ILB, Lindenwood - Will make an immediate impact on ST but will also provide good depth at ILB and will be a great locker room presence.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
nice draft, but I don't think Moton makes it to 67. He is my sleeper in this draft.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
These first four picks would have me in the clouds happy. Like the concept of this draft too. It hits the spot of where the Bears are at right now.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Best one I've seen addresses all needs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

laputan

Liked Posts:
Sorry, Pace has a strict no tattoos policy.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Way better than any of Windy's 950 mocks.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where's the farm-strong white bread tweener that's a Ginny mandate?

Along with the return of the black-and-blue Bears can we bring back Bear Weather? . . .

Madden

Liked Posts:
This boy don't play around. Smack you in the mouth type player and he does it without sacrificing his coverage most of the time. Love the way he plays.

Week 1 - Josh Jones has been suspended 4 games by the league for smacking the mouth of Falcons QB Matt Ryan in the 4th quarter of Sunday's game. Per Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, Ryan Pace is officially cutting ties with the 2nd round pick out of NC State. "We loved his physicality coming out of the draft, but it turns out he's a straight up thug, I ignored the tattoos which should have been a red flag - and that's on me" stated Pace.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Week 1 - Josh Jones has been suspended 4 games by the league for smacking the mouth of Falcons QB Matt Ryan in the 4th quarter of Sunday's game. Per Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, Ryan Pace is officially cutting ties with the 2nd round pick out of NC State. "We loved his physicality coming out of the draft, but it turns out he's a straight up thug, I ignored the tattoos which should have been a red flag - and that's on me" stated Pace.

Does that rule out Trubisky as well?

Dolphin%2520tattoos%2520designs%2520ideas%2520men%2520women%2520girls%2520guys%2520cute%2520lovely%2520best%2520%2520%252813%2529.jpg

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think that 1st pick represents the premise. What makes you good fast is making one side of the ball dominant. If we want to get better quickly, we should take D early and often. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do but rebuilds tend to work better when you focus on one side and then go after the other. The D is closer so that would be the direction to emphasize in this draft and especially a Black and Blue thread. Taking 3 O players in the 1st 4 picks seems counter intuitive.

The O and D are always somewhat fractured so Watson isn't going to do much for the other side and if I wanted to accomplish the idea put forward here, I'd draft Adams at 3 to lead a D that could better compete. Again, not what I would do as I'm a Hooker guy but that would fit the idea here better than taking all that O early in a B&B Draft thread.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
With the 221st pick in the NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select Connor Harris, ILB, Lindenwood - Will make an immediate impact on ST but will also provide good depth at ILB and will be a great locker room presence.

Secret code for white, well played.

I'll bet he is also a lunch bucket guy with a high motor.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I don't think that 1st pick represents the premise. What makes you good fast is making one side of the ball dominant. If we want to get better quickly, we should take D early and often. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do but rebuilds tend to work better when you focus on one side and then go after the other. The D is closer so that would be the direction to emphasize in this draft and especially a Black and Blue thread. Taking 3 O players in the 1st 4 picks seems counter intuitive.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Look at Houston for example.

Black and Blue doesn't have to necessarily be all about defense. You can be a tough team on the offensive side of the ball as well and I think that's imperative. It's also important to have a QB, the Bears still had Jim McMahon in 85 who in my eyes was a good QB.

Watson is a tough player and a leader. He is a guy that players will rally behind despite his shortcomings. Moton is definitely Black and Blue through and through. The Bears still need play makers on offense and a 4th round pick isn't exactly a big time investment.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Fun fact, Mike Ditka either never did, or did play in the Black and Blue Division.

#GRAVYSAUCE

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Love it. Josh Jones would be a great addition.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I'm all for it and would be giddy with it but I'm still holding out hope Trubisky will be our QB. I could really see SF taking him ahead of us. "Settling" for Watson would work for me. We'll see if Pace has the balls to go big.