Second Best Team in the Central?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I don't think there's much question the the Cubs win the division going away, but who comes in second place? I had picked Pittsburgh but I think the loss of Marte and a relatively slow start really hurts them. As far a St. Louis I think there's something really wrong there. I don't buy Leak and Wacha's strong starts and if Martinez doesn't come around that pitching staff is suspect. Add to that a shaky bullpen and they have trouble pitching. Aside from the pitching there's just something off about the team, I never bet against the Cardinals but they look bad to me. The Reds look closer in their rebuild than I though but i still think they're destined for last place. So that leaves the Brewers. I have no idea if Thames is juicing or not but that guy can flat out hit and they have some other bats in Bandy, Shaw and of course Braun who can hit as well. They're going to score a lot of runs. The starting pitching is suspect but the bullpen is actually pretty good. If they trade Braun in July all bets are off but if not I think they'll win 82-83 games. Thoughts?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think there's much question the the Cubs win the division going away, but who comes in second place? I had picked Pittsburgh but I think the loss of Marte and a relatively slow start really hurts them. As far a St. Louis I think there's something really wrong there. I don't buy Leak and Wacha's strong starts and if Martinez doesn't come around that pitching staff is suspect. Add to that a shaky bullpen and they have trouble pitching. Aside from the pitching there's just something off about the team, I never bet against the Cardinals but they look bad to me. The Reds look closer in their rebuild than I though but i still think they're destined for last place. So that leaves the Brewers. I have no idea if Thames is juicing or not but that guy can flat out hit and they have some other bats in Bandy, Shaw and of course Braun who can hit as well. They're going to score a lot of runs. The starting pitching is suspect but the bullpen is actually pretty good. If they trade Braun in July all bets are off but if not I think they'll win 82-83 games. Thoughts?

I don't think anyone but Thames knows if he's juicing....but I mean bouncing around baseball for years and ending up in the Korean League, then suddenly appearing with Brewers with Bondslike power? Regardless of how he's doing it...adding a bat like that makes the whole lineup stronger. If they can get any kind of pitching, the Brewers will be neck and neck with the Cards. Pitt losing arguably their best player, very young starting staff and some pretty weak D has them falling. The Reds are coming but are still a couple of years out.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
St. Louis is obviously going to progrsss to their level. I mean I long thought Fowler would struggle to bring the value being attributed to him but even he isn't going to hit in the 180s with an ops below 600. Their bullpen also won't have an era of whatever it is going forward.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean I long thought Fowler would struggle to bring the value being attributed to him but even he isn't going to hit in the 180s with an ops below 600.

Nobody thought Heyward was going to suck offensively last year either, but he did. Not saying this is the same, but there seems to be something to a high performing player signing big money with another team and then sucking for a while until they get themselves sorted...