Solidify the O-Line first

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
As much as I'd love for the Bears to pick up a high rated QB in this draft, thinking of the O-Line makes me rethink a top pick on a QB.

We've got to think of the following:
Long: Great when healthy and playing ONE position, but lately has seen multiple games missed due to injuries.

Sitton: See above for Long... as well as he'll be 31.

Whitehair: Surprised me a lot and looked very good for a rookie in an important position at Center.

Massie: Definitely needs help there.

Leno: Looked pretty solid but need a good backup in case of injury.

Kush: Didn't see much to be really excited about.

Grasu: Where does he fit in?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Grasu and Whitehair. Maybe they rotate them at Center in camp as well as rotate them with Sitton in camp as well?

Regardless, our O-Line needs help if we're going to get a high pick QB in there. Just look at Dallas.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree in part and could see them selecting OL within the first 3 rounds.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A young developing tackle to push Massie right away and capable of pushing Leno in a year or two is exactly what we need. There have to be some sleepers lurking in this draft, Robinson on a trade up if he slips from second round or finding that moldable physical talent in round 3 or 4 would be ideal.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
We have painfully average LT and below average RT, but this years OT class is very low on quality, so it wouldn't be smart to invest a high (first 3 rounds) draft pick into the position.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like Pace is going to wuss out anyway.

FWIW, I don't see the problem...

- If you draft a QB then he'll likely sit anyway this year.
- The interior is very good, it's the tackles that are average. So you have a FA (Solder, Penn and Gilliam lead a decent class) and a draft (has to be better than this year) to find two players.

It's a pretty lame excuse for not taking a redshirt QB.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It is funny that OT is NOT the Flavor of this years draft? I know the depth is not very good, but normally that would put an upward pressure on the talent that does exist. Cam Robinson seems to be the top Tackle in the draft, but he is projected mainly in the middle of the first round.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
if healthy, our tackles are pro-bowl caliber....if not, whitehair's natural position is guard so he'll swing there while grasu will man center

leno is solid and massie picked his game wayyyyyy up in the 2nd half of the season.

do people still think we have a terrible o-line? despite all the injuries, they gave up the 7th fewest sacks and averaged 5th highest yards per carry.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
We have painfully average LT
The term "painfully average" makes no sense to me. How is it bad that he is better than at least half the starters in the league at his position?

OLmen don't need to be glamorous. They just need to get the job done, and Leno has done good enough (and has only gotten better).

You'd think fans would celebrate getting a guy like Leno in the seventh round. We could do a lot better at RT and need tackle depth, but Leno doesn't need to be replaced unless his play regresses.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
FEUW, Kush played really well last year in place of Long.

Imo, the OL is pretty far down on the priorities list.

Legaeveth

Liked Posts:
we did have the 2nd leading rusher this year who if played all games could of been number one IMO. Hoyer the only real competent QB we had on the roster did fairly well in the passing game. So I don't think O-line is in as bad a shape as some may think. We do have to stay on top of it and should throw a pick towards a position on the O-line. We have way to many needs in other critical positions to use a top pick and like some have pointed out this year doesn't have a top notch 0-line class.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Just not much talent at tackle this year. Robinson would probably make a good RT, but I don't see him being very effective at LT in the NFL.