Reading the Halas Hall private workout tea leaves...

baredown

Liked Posts:
Of the consensus top 8 prospects (Garrett, Thomas, Fournette, Allen, Adams, Lattimore, Howard, Hooker), the Bears had all of them but Thomas and Fournette in for a private meeting/workout at Lake Forest. Thomas's absence from the private workout list is easy to explain. Like McCaffrey, he's apparently not doing them (same agent?). But Fournette's absence suggests the Bears aren't really considering him at #3. There's no real subterfuge/smokescreen benefit in not bringing him in. They are already bringing in all the other likely suspects at #3, so including him discloses nothing. On the other hand, they lose the opportunity to get to know him in depth. At #3, that's an opportunity Pace wouldn't want to give up, particularly for no apparent benefit. Meanwhile, Fournette had private workouts with three teams that are rumored to be considering him at the top of the draft, 49ers, Jags, and Panthers. A reasonable person would conclude Fournette simply isn't in the mix at the top of the Bears board.

Of the top 4 QBs, the Bears had only Kizer and Mahomes in for private workouts, not Watson or Trubisky. The same logic that applies to Fournette as a potential #3 pick applies to Watson & Trubisky as well. The Browns and the 49ers had both Watson & Trubisky in for private workouts. No subterfuge/smokescreen benefit to the Bears in not bringing either of them in, and a lost opportunity to get a better feel for them. At the QB position, and #3 pick in the draft, this would seem to be something that Pace would insist on doing. So,a reasonable person would conclude that the Bears don't have Watson or Trubisky at the top of their board either.

I don't know who the Bears will take at #3, but the Bears private workout calendar suggests it won't be Watson, Trubisky, or Fournette...

Reactions: WCL

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Based on Pace's history he values impact players in the 1st round. Garrett, Hooker, and Thomas are the biggest impact players of your top 7.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
There is absolutely nothing to be derived from a workout calendar.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Foster & Mahomes: dinner

everyone else: no dinner

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Brad Biggs‏Verified account @BradBiggs 5h5 hours ago
More
Solomon Thomas made a pre-draft visit to Halas Hall and D.C. Vic Fangio attended his pro day workout. No private workout for him with #Bears

/thread

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
"Five thoughts for the Top 10: Niners like UNC quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, but not at two. … Don’t be shocked to see the Bears at No. 3 steal Leonard Fournette, the LSU runner, from the Jags at four" -Peter King

/thread again

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
only way the Fournette thing happens is if PACE rings 100% true to his word that he is gona take BPA (at any given position in each round), and has Fournette atop his draft board when Bears are on the clock

doesn't seem like a healthy way to build a team but maybe it is I duno. We have seen other teams do it in the past, when they draft a player at a position they where seemingly set at.

If they think Howard just got lucky and had a career year for a 5th round pick and he will never top it again, and grade Fournette as a generational type talent, then I guess fine, they are ones who see and work with him everyday, but I like Howard a lot, and don't mind our backups either, so as much as I like Fournette the prospect this would be a pretty head scratching move.

baredown

Liked Posts:
There is absolutely nothing to be derived from a workout calendar.

I get it... You're a Fournette guy. That's cool. I'd be fine with him at #3, too. But why didn't they bother to bring in him for a private meeting/workout at Halas Hall? No apparent down side, and potentially a lot of upside.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Could you imagine a rushing offense with Howard and Fournette with ~17 carries each and Glennon throwing 25-30 times a game? It would be a ridiculous backfield with two absolute monsters constantly fresh all the time.

If you do that, get the best RT you can.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Could you imagine a rushing offense with Howard and Fournette with ~17 carries each and Glennon throwing 25-30 times a game? It would be a ridiculous backfield with two absolute monsters constantly fresh all the time.

Fox has done it before right? Back in Carolina.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fox has done it before right? Back in Carolina.

Williams and Stewart, thunder and lightning.

Howard and Fournette would be thunder and more fucking thunder. You'd be able to keep them fresh. If they can keep games close enough to run the ball in the 4th quarter, they'd be smashing some seriously tired defenses.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

I get it but you'd have to hope the dual RB could work around a weak RT. I would hate getting LF at 3, but if we do, get the best remaining safety in the 2nd.

They'd wear a defense the fuck out, especially how small they are nowadays due to the passing league the NFL has become.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I would laugh my ass off if they take Fournette at 3. The plus side is that you know that GB, MIN, DET would probably be shitting themselves about the running game. Although obviously there would be no passing game to worry about!

I surprise myself that I don't hate the pick as much as I did a few weeks ago. I'd probably be happier than if we took Lattimore for example whose injury record flat out terrifies me.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What is the benefit of not doing private workouts?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Five thoughts for the Top 10: Niners like UNC quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, but not at two. … Don’t be shocked to see the Bears at No. 3 steal Leonard Fournette, the LSU runner, from the Jags at four" -Peter King

/thread again

"Don't be shocked if"

keywords for I can throw shit up against a wall and not be held accountable for it unless it comes true, then I will take credit for knowing...

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I would laugh my ass off if they take Fournette at 3. The plus side is that you know that GB, MIN, DET would probably be shitting themselves about the running game. Although obviously there would be no passing game to worry about!

I surprise myself that I don't hate the pick as much as I did a few weeks ago. I'd probably be happier than if we took Lattimore for example whose injury record flat out terrifies me.

Agreed. They could get a FS (Marcus Williams or Obi) or CB in round 2, then follow it up with a TE, Edge/DL, and WR with the next 3 picks in rounds 3 and 4. I'm not sure the Bears will focus on both FS and CB high in this draft. I think they'll take 1 of the 2 positions, but not both.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I'd take Fournette at 3 without much thought. Get off the bus running. Glennon is put in the best position to succeed with the two headed monster at RB. The only question would be does Howard feel slighted by the presence of Fournette.

Massie is more than adequate in the ground game. It's in the passing game that he is weak. If the Bears are running more, the strength of the OL comes out.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Williams and Stewart, thunder and lightning.

Howard and Fournette would be thunder and more fucking thunder. You'd be able to keep them fresh. If they can keep games close enough to run the ball in the 4th quarter, they'd be smashing some seriously tired defenses.

LOL. I can see the t-shirts now.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is the benefit of not doing private workouts?

Vg8Z9.gif

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Historically there have been many teams drafting high without bringing someone in. They were in Indy and at all the pro days for the high picks, I believe. It can be smoke, as modo suggests.