Rest of the NHL Playoffs Thread

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Was going to make a nice shiny thread for each conference, but then the Hawks had to go and fuck up everything.

Still plenty of good puck action to watch, most noticeably that Pens/Caps matchup in the East. And I don't think any of us would be surprised to see Nashville advance out of the West given how well they played in the first round.

So, here's the thread for all of that.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fuk da Preds, fuk em good.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Fuk da Preds, fuk em good.

The weird thing about that series is I don't really have any hatred for the Preds. They just outplayed the Hawks so well that I'm not even mad. I'm impressed.

Hope they sweep St. Louis right the fuck out of the building.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The weird thing about that series is I don't really have any hatred for the Preds. They just outplayed the Hawks so well that I'm not even mad. I'm impressed.

Hope they sweep St. Louis right the fuck out of the building.

Lol I am fine with either of them going up against the Oilers.... I am backing the Oilers for the rest of the post-season.

Canadian dude who works for me is from Edmonton.... so I will let the Oilers be my surrogate team.

I h8 Anaheim, St Louis, and Nashville can go fuk itself... I don't strictly hate the Preds but I want all the home office poser fans in my company to cry.

Oh and PK Subban can suck a huge dick, ok I guess I h8 the Preds too.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lol I am fine with either of them going up against the Oilers.... I am backing the Oilers for the rest of the post-season.

Canadian dude who works for me is from Edmonton.... so I will let the Oilers be my surrogate team.

I h8 Anaheim, St Louis, and Nashville can go fuk itself... I don't strictly hate the Preds but I want all the home office poser fans in my company to cry.

Oh and PK Subban can suck a huge dick, ok I guess I h8 the Preds too.

That sounded awfully grimson like

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Crosby murdered conspiracy theories are the best

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nash-Blews getting chippy. 0-0 in the third.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Nashville goes to the Cup or wins it does it change the narrative for anybody?

The Oiler love is cool, but Smashville will control their offense and finish them easily if that is who emerges. Anaheim is still very much alive and could give Preds issues, but speed probably prevails. Oilers/Preds could be a fun series, but advantage has to go to defense/center depth.

At this time, it looks like Washington/Nashville for the Cup. Too close to call.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Nashville goes to the Cup or wins it does it change the narrative for anybody?

The Oiler love is cool, but Smashville will control their offense and finish them easily if that is who emerges. Anaheim is still very much alive and could give Preds issues, but speed probably prevails. Oilers/Preds could be a fun series, but advantage has to go to defense/center depth.

At this time, it looks like Washington/Nashville for the Cup. Too close to call.

Nope. It's not that the Blackhawks lost, it's how they lost. Even if Chicago was preordained to lose to Nashville they could have at least gone out on the ice and held nothing back--like against Detroit in 2009 or Vancouver 2011.

Whether or not you lose to a 2nd round exit or the cup winner, you leave it all on the ice, be fully invested in every play and play to the whistle, skate hard, come in with a game plan and stick to it, and bring the talent you have to bear. These are all things the Blackhawks failed to do.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We got no help from the refs at home, including an ass whooping of hard physical hits to be expected, but also dangerous and illegal hits and hits that actually injured our guys.

The Preds have lost one game in the playoffs. One. incidentally, and I may be a couple minutes off, but the boxscore revealed a 23 minutes to 4 minutes advantage in Sin Bin time in that game to the Blues. That is what it took to win one game, by one goal.

We deserved 23-4 and might have won a game too had it happened on our home ice like it should have, as well as curbed some of the bullshit. I felt at the time the league was against us, and maybe our players felt that to. Like "fuck this. If they want the preds to win? fuck it? what can you do?"

I don't want to defend what I saw too much, but after dropping some really really poorly officiated games at home, and having arguably our most important player in AA rendered completely worthless, not being able to win a faceoff, and a bunch of old guys continually rolled out by Q on defense, including playing 7 defenders in the final game over Hayden...

it went south. Our team knows itself better than any other in the league, and I think sometimes when you know your own limits its easier to quit. They did quit...but they quit when they were beaten and just went home. Wouldn't have mattered after we lost the first two at home, imo, we were toast.

Kept giving up the first goal, and the Preds have shown that if they score first the game is going to be a nightmare for anyone.

And I felt Q should also have gone to Darling early, quick hook...nothing against Crow but the Preds just abuse him and always have. Its a wrong matchup, and something about them is best stopped by a larger goaltender. imo. Size matters against them. But not enough that Darling would have mattered, or Jake Allen matters with an overmatched Blues team.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We got no help from the refs at home, including an ass whooping of hard physical hits to be expected, but also dangerous and illegal hits and hits that actually injured our guys.

The Preds have lost one game in the playoffs. One. incidentally, and I may be a couple minutes off, but the boxscore revealed a 23 minutes to 4 minutes advantage in Sin Bin time in that game to the Blues. That is what it took to win one game, by one goal.

We deserved 23-4 and might have won a game too had it happened on our home ice like it should have, as well as curbed some of the bullshit. I felt at the time the league was against us, and maybe our players felt that to. Like "fuck this. If they want the preds to win? fuck it? what can you do?"

I don't want to defend what I saw too much, but after dropping some really really poorly officiated games at home, and having arguably our most important player in AA rendered completely worthless, not being able to win a faceoff, and a bunch of old guys continually rolled out by Q on defense, including playing 7 defenders in the final game over Hayden...

it went south. Our team knows itself better than any other in the league, and I think sometimes when you know your own limits its easier to quit. They did quit...but they quit when they were beaten and just went home. Wouldn't have mattered after we lost the first two at home, imo, we were toast.

Kept giving up the first goal, and the Preds have shown that if they score first the game is going to be a nightmare for anyone.

And I felt Q should also have gone to Darling early, quick hook...nothing against Crow but the Preds just abuse him and always have. Its a wrong matchup, and something about them is best stopped by a larger goaltender. imo. Size matters against them. But not enough that Darling would have mattered, or Jake Allen matters with an overmatched Blues team.

1) Only bandwagonner scum blames the refs. You win in spite of bad officiating. None of the refs out there now are as bad as Walkom was, who not only penalized Saad for being hauled down to the ice negating Hjammer's goal in 2013, but also was on the ice and completely missed Torres trying to kill Hossa in 2012. The 'hawks have experienced worse officiating, and overcame it. They blew it, not the refs.
2) They were beaten because they quit, not vice-versa. Remember, they did have a 2 goal lead in game 3 and bowed out of the rest of the game.
3) Not only would Darling not have mattered, but Vladislav fuckin' Tretiak wouldn't have mattered. We were up 2 in game 3 only for the skaters to give the game away.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) Only bandwagonner scum blames the refs. You win in spite of bad officiating. None of the refs out there now are as bad as Walkom was, who not only penalized Saad for being hauled down to the ice negating Hjammer's goal in 2013, but also was on the ice and completely missed Torres trying to kill Hossa in 2012. The 'hawks have experienced worse officiating, and overcame it. They blew it, not the refs.
2) They were beaten because they quit, not vice-versa. Remember, they did have a 2 goal lead in game 3 and bowed out of the rest of the game.
3) Not only would Darling not have mattered, but Vladislav fuckin' Tretiak wouldn't have mattered. We were up 2 in game 3 only for the skaters to give the game away.

they didn't bow out, the bizarro world happened off the stanchion, and they couldn't resist the inevitable tide of a team at home for 10 minutes. I think they played better in games 3 and 4, kinda neutralizing the quit theory.

Don't call me bandwaggoner scum. Thats rude man, and unnecessary.

Its really upsetting to go out like that. I didn't think that is who we were, it hasn't been who we used to be. If in losses we gave some damn incredible series, usually the best of the playoffs. Hockey takes a toll, something is fucked about our lack of physical training I think.

We play a finesse game, and I assume its a little like they used to say about big men who fall in love with the 3 ball. Once you drift out, you become soft inside.

I don't think we are finished, and I will reserve judgement until next year, fully expecting them to play a playoffs with something to prove. To make some bold moves, to get this right.

It feels like only the Maple Leafs have a stronger crop of players capable of taking big strides next year. I believe in some of these young guys.

Hayden and Bondra in particular, could really fortify what Panik and Hartman already bring. Capable players with a physical element. I don't like the lack of adjustments Q made, but he had an injured roster.

Smaltz and Kero need to get stronger.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
they didn't bow out, the bizarro world happened off the stanchion, and they couldn't resist the inevitable tide of a team at home for 10 minutes. I think they played better in games 3 and 4, kinda neutralizing the quit theory.
I was referring to game 3 - where the 'hawks got up 2 and stopped skating--especially Toews and Keith. They stopped when they got the lead and never got restarted
Don't call me bandwaggoner scum. Thats rude man, and unnecessary.
Don't think you're bandwagonner scum? Then don't blame the refs. Shitty refs and bad calls are a part of any sport and the same 'hawks core in terms of personnel have dealt with shittier refs and worse calls than were iced against Nashville--and came out the victors. Perfect officiating wouldn't have given us a chance. The reason we lost is simple: Toews sucked. Kane sucked. Keith sucked. Seabrook sucked. Panarin sucked. Anisimov sucked. Panik sucked. Schmaltz sucked. Hjammer sucked. Oduya sucked. TVR sucked. Seabrook sucked. Kempny sucked. Kruger sucked. Hossa sucked. Hartman sucked. Hayden sucked. Tootoo sucked. Hino sucked. Crawford sucked. Q sucked. Kitchen sucked. Dinneen sucked. You get the picture...the. whole. fucking. team. sucked.

Better refs wouldn't fix that. A team that sucks vs. a hungry team playing to win = a sweep in craptacular fashion.

And let's not forget Getzlaf, who's old and bald, is having a playoff that makes Toews look weak and innefectual.

Its really upsetting to go out like that. I didn't think that is who we were, it hasn't been who we used to be. If in losses we gave some damn incredible series, usually the best of the playoffs. Hockey takes a toll, something is fucked about our lack of physical training I think.
One could argue they weren't ready, yes--especially after last season where "Gassed" was the excuse du jure and at least somewhat valid coming off 3 straight deep playoff runs (and 2 cups). That doesn't fly this year. We had a long offseason and a good regular season record in spite of a few core peices that had down regular seasons. There was no excuse for those playoffs and Stan has a right to be pissed.

We play a finesse game, and I assume its a little like they used to say about big men who fall in love with the 3 ball. Once you drift out, you become soft inside.
I'll assume that's a BBall reference so I don't quite get it. But if it's anything close to winning on talent alone our boys should have known for quite some time they haven't had the talent to win on talent alone for quite some time now--and it looked like they were trying to ride their reputations to an easy victory. Nashville, playing as a team committed to winning by any means necessary, kicked the shit out of us as if they were Kenny Norton and we were Gary Coleman.
I don't think we are finished, and I will reserve judgement until next year, fully expecting them to play a playoffs with something to prove. To make some bold moves, to get this right.

It feels like only the Maple Leafs have a stronger crop of players capable of taking big strides next year. I believe in some of these young guys.

Hayden and Bondra in particular, could really fortify what Panik and Hartman already bring. Capable players with a physical element. I don't like the lack of adjustments Q made, but he had an injured roster.

Smaltz and Kero need to get stronger.
Whether or not the 'hawks are finished for the better part of a decade hinges on one thing--our core figuring out how to play with some sense of passion again rather than mailing it in. We could blither on about depth, support, coaching, personnel, etc. but it's not going to change jack or shit until/unless Toews, Kane, and Keith can start playing like top 100 of all time players again (if not in the physical capabilities in the hockey IQ category--in which the core--especially Keith, was sorely lacking). Once that happens, THEN us fans can start blubbering like fat girl's blouses about depth, shitty coaching, etc. But right now that's not going to matter because the core played like ass in a vacuum. If that doesn't change we're pretty much stuck until 2023 or 2024 (when Toews, Kane, and Keith's deals, and then Seabrook's deal, respectively, expire).

That has to be the alpha and omega moving forward. Get the core back into core shape. Motivate them and if necessary, adjust the game plan to fit the playing style they can do in the here-and-now and not some 7 years ago.

See above.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Getzlaf the last two years like Toews has had mighty bad starts to the years but while Toews was on fire in February it was like that in March more Getzlaf. That's just been more close of a continued well done form and their trade deadline moves actually helped with adding Eaves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bye bye Blues. Again.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watch a ton of hockey. A game a night in the winter at least. I may be the only person in Oregon with the NHL package.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crapitols got some momentum going into game 7. Crosby got roughed-up pretty good again.