IST: Cubs @ Red Sox

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's all about the pitching. If Hendricks and Arrieta improve it can be fixed at the deadline, if not they'll struggle. It's that simple. What it is not as Diehardfan's numbers show, is the hitting.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs runs scored in 2017 5.14 per game in 2016 4.93 per game

Opponent runs per game in 2017 4.27 per game in 2016 3.42 per game

They score enough runs.....they give up too many. First it was bullpen trouble, now it's the starters.

Inconsistency.....in 162 games, it happens a lot.

Bitching about it will not change it, particularly when there's no one here that can do anything about it.
Offense
3 runs or fewer 9 times
5 runs or more 11 times
4 runs twice

So it's been basically all or nothing..

Problem for me is the Struggle of Schwarber Zobrist and Baez ..
I'd like to see them get going and I just think til they do , more so Schwarber and Zobrist, just move them down in lineup and see if it helps...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It's all about the pitching. If Hendricks and Arrieta improve it can be fixed at the deadline, if not they'll struggle. It's that simple. What it is not as Diehardfan's numbers show, is the hitting.
Runs given up in games by starters..
Hendricks
4-3-4-0
Lester
1-1-0-5-6
Arrieta
0-3-3-4-5
Lackey
4-1-4-7
Anderson
1-0-6-3

On a perfect scenario you like to see your starters give up 3 runs or less every game. So going by that...

Lackey right now is the only weak link in rotation, 4 runs given up so far today..
Because as I predicted he gonna suck this year..

Hendricks on edge in 4 starts

Lester and Arrieta struggled their last 2 starts

Anderson been basically pretty good, except 1 start..

So, IMO.. once they can dump Lackey and deal for another starter
The rotation will be better...

My early wish list now and it's a long long shot , is the Blue jays continue to struggle and they consider trading Stroman..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Runs given up in games by starters..
Hendricks
4-3-4-0
Lester
1-1-0-5-6
Arrieta
0-3-3-4-5
Lackey
4-1-4-7
Anderson
1-0-6-3

On a perfect scenario you like to see your starters give up 3 runs or less every game. So going by that...

Lackey right now is the only weak link in rotation, 4 runs given up so far today..
Because as I predicted he gonna suck this year..

Hendricks on edge in 4 starts

Lester and Arrieta struggled their last 2 starts

Anderson been basically pretty good, except 1 start..

So, IMO.. once they can dump Lackey and deal for another starter
The rotation will be better...

My early wish list now and it's a long long shot , is the Blue jays continue to struggle and they consider trading Stroman..

Toronto isn't going to trade Stroman. Even if they suck this year their window isn't closed. If they can't get a young starter like Archer I'd like to see them go after Verlander who will be available.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Chibears' Plan for 2017 Baseball Glory:

1. Trade Javy Baez for a TOR starter
2. Promote Ian Happ to PH once per week
3. DFA John Lackey

"It's gold, Jerry! Gold!"

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Toronto isn't going to trade Stroman. Even if they suck this year their window isn't closed. If they can't get a young starter like Archer I'd like to see them go after Verlander who will be available.
I did say it was a long shot early wish list...

I agree their first choices will be someone like Archer, young and controlled..

I'm not sure about Verlander..
I think him being 34 and owed 28 mil the next 2 years with a 22 mil vesting option in 2020..
Probably will keep them away from him..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That 7th inning was so long I thought it was the 8th when they scored the last run..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I did say it was a long shot early wish list...

I agree their first choices will be someone like Archer, young and controlled..

I'm not sure about Verlander..
I think him being 34 and owed 28 mil the next 2 years with a 22 mil vesting option in 2020..
Probably will keep them away from him..

Verlander has already made his velocity adjustment and can easily slot in behind Lester next year and really make a damn good rotation in the playoffs this year. He's expensive but if you got 2-21/2 good years out of him it would be worth it. Teams just aren't giving up young, controllable pitching.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm liking the Jay/Baez platoon

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Verlander has already made his velocity adjustment and can easily slot in behind Lester next year and really make a damn good rotation in the playoffs this year. He's expensive but if you got 2-21/2 good years out of him it would be worth it. Teams just aren't giving up young, controllable pitching.

/agree

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing Det would deal if a team took all of the contract. Verlander would most likely want to keep the vesting intact.

If I'm the Cubs I would make that deal if they took Candi and a pitcher ranked 30-40 on their prospect list. Then take all responsibility for that deal. Det could hold out for more but I wouldn't up that offer with that much to absorb.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Chibears' Plan for 2017 Baseball Glory:

1. Trade Javy Baez for a TOR starter
2. Promote Ian Happ to PH once per week
3. DFA John Lackey

"It's gold, Jerry! Gold!"

LOL

The Seinfeld reference is what's golden.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying I wouldn't take him..

Just not sure if they want to fork up 28 mil for him..
Not knowing how much Tigers would be willing to eat but I don't know, would they be better of just keeping Arrieta if they can get him for say 6/25 per...

As far as getting a younger arm..
Eventually their going to have to make a decision on their young bats ..

Barring injuries their basically set at most positions over next 5 years...

Catcher.. Contreras and Caratini
1B Rizzo
SS Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
RF Heyward

CF.. Almora starting out good so far

2B is probably the only position right now that no one has a lock on it yet

Injuries and falling flat with bat aside, their in good shape here..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm curious if there is some Szczur trade play there with Eaton going down. It's going to be pretty difficult to find someone to play CF in May. Victor Robbles is still in A+ so I don't think he's an option. Turner could go back out to CF but then you're filling SS which is just as bad.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I'm curious if there is some Szczur trade play there with Eaton going down. It's going to be pretty difficult to find someone to play CF in May. Victor Robbles is still in A+ so I don't think he's an option. Turner could go back out to CF but then you're filling SS which is just as bad.

Szczur has got to be a more compelling option than Michael Taylor, who's a replacement-caliber player at best.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Washington was already going to have to trade for a closer and another pen arm and now they need a CF. So yeah, you'd think Szczur would be very attractive but why would the Cubs want to make the Nats better?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Washington was already going to have to trade for a closer and another pen arm and now they need a CF. So yeah, you'd think Szczur would be very attractive but why would the Cubs want to make the Nats better?

Depends on the return. I'm not thinking Szczur is a game breaking talent so it is really not about making them better. If anything it would be a crutch that is not askew.