New mobo and wireless mouse stutter

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i recently swapped out my asrock z170 board for an asus z270e and if I plug the dongle for my g602 wireless mouse directly into the back of the tower i get random mouse stutter, but if i use an extension i do not. i was just wondering if anyone knew what could cause this since nothing is different other than the mobo. i thought it might be interference from the mobos built in wifi and/or bluetooth so i disabled those and it still occurs. using the extension isnt a big deal, but im just curious as to the cause.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
RFI radio frequency interference. I'm guessing it's a 2.4GHz mouse.
Try to use a different channel in the connectivity/mouse software.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
In short, yes. But it's not solely the motherboard as much as it's the noise pattern from the 802.11 adapter/pathway/antennae and interference from little bits and bobs on the board itself that have low levels of interference. It could even be conflict between having multiple bluetooth adapters, so check each one of these radio sources and see.

All these manufacturers try to default radio channels to optimal denominations, but it's really get good practice to scan signals and optimize the channels, because everyone is trying to use a different path.

If that doesn't work, make sure the power profile under hardware settings for the USB receiver are not conflicting with your usage. If it's set to save power and sleep, then you could have issues just the same.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
got it. unfortunately i dont see anything in my mouse software to change the channel.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Windows doesn't have something either in the hardware settings? I'm never on windows now, so I don't remember where or if you have access to it. You could just try a different USB port all together, sometimes the simplest solution works.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
One of my pals at erm, not going to say where... was telling me that a knockoff VLVRs flooded the market to curb a shortage in Korean markets which resulted in more RMAs than usual for end users that noticed issues.

Semi-Layman terms. Theres a board part that regulates the 12v+ that has been off by more than the typical tolerance. It under-powers the devices attached to that rail. Some devices don't care, some devices are very sensitive to it.

Not saying that is what is up with your board and USBrx, but if you tried everything and are pulling your hair, then I figured I would pass this on. MSI, Asus, Tyan, Gigabyte, Foxxcon, and maybe more OEMs have had some of these [retroactively] bad bins work into production. Very small amount, they're all good at catching the errors for the most part. It happens often with so many damn components, but this one was enough for someone way nerdier than me to even bring it up.

Good luck though.

...and here is a trademark rant from me that pisses 90% of people off and displays my arrogance accurately (has nothing to do with you or anyone here).

These tech tidbits deep in the weeds don't ever make the news and 99.9999% of tech reviewers and vlogers don't know their asshole from a hole in the wall as far as actual electronics. They barely know how to repeat the specs written on boxes correctly. Thus why they stay in business, nobody sends real experts products to critique due to the risk they may actually know where to find real flaws and publish them. Either the news is flooded with product hype, or actual product info to help consumers. One is legal, the other is at risk of legal action. But they do matter. I know a lot of us have hardware out of warranty that we would like to repair, and if we could google the known problems, then weigh our skills versus potential outcomes, make better decisions, save on some e-waste, etc.

Last edited: