Is Eddie Jackson A First Round Talent?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not a doctor, but I do have an orthopedist in the immediate family and did have a similar surgery myself. You can ask a doctor for yourself if you'd like, though.
Nah, that's ok. You're close enough to 1 for me. Back in my day they used casts to immobilize.

Just wondering though, if he recently had surgery to remove a screw that was causing discomfort, why not take out the rod too?

DavidH

Liked Posts:
Nah, that's ok. You're close enough to 1 for me. Back in my day they used casts to immobilize.

Just wondering though, if he recently had surgery to remove a screw that was causing discomfort, why not take out the rod too?

Casts just aren't practical for certain injuries. Very hard to set the fracture and get it to heal properly. And even if you could set it perfectly, I'd imagine the person would deal with much more atrophy as you'd have to immobilize joints to keep the limb from moving at all, thus limiting or stopping the movement of more muscles. I'm sure this isn't the full story, because like I said, I'm definitely not a doctor, lol. Non displaced fractures are a different story, though.

As for why he only had a screw removed, I'd imagine because the screw was directly what was causing the issue (maybe pressed up against a nerve or something?) and the rod removal would've been far more invasive, but that's just a guess.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Casts just aren't practical for certain injuries. Very hard to set the fracture and get it to heal properly. And even if you could set it perfectly, I'd imagine the person would deal with much more atrophy as you'd have to immobilize joints to keep the limb from moving at all, thus limiting or stopping the movement of more muscles I'm sure this isn't the full story, because like I said, I'm definitely not a doctor, lol.

As for why he only had a screw removed, I'd imagine because the screw was directly what was causing the issue (maybe pressed up against a nerve or something?) and the rod removal would've been far more invasive, but that's just a guess.
Ok, sounds like a good enough guess. We'll see what our bionic safety has soon enough.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I just can't understand why we drafted a guy who tore his ACL, broke his leg and had back surgery. The odds of him staying healthy are less than 5%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I seriously think he is a special teamer, who plays 1 or 2 sets of downs. I don't think he will ever be a starter. This guy is replacing Eddie Royal's punt return duties, lets not get too excited.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
when did clean breaks get rods in them?

Torn ACL, those take a full year to heal for a center fielder/change of direction so imporant at position.

Maybe in 1990, bot things have changed greatly with ACL injuries. It used to be when you heard ACL you figure the player would never be the same. Now, it's just another injury.

DavidH

Liked Posts:
I just can't understand why we drafted a guy who tore his ACL, broke his leg and had back surgery. The odds of him staying healthy are less than 5%.

Back surgery?

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Brett Kollman must suck at projecting if he projected Jackson at the #12 pick. Sounds like a mancrush rather than rational thought. I hope Jackson is as good as Brett believes he is.

Someone get Brett a napkin.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

This post exhibits a fundamental misunderstanding of football, medicine and statistics in two sentences. That has to be some sort of record.

Reactions: WCL

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
This post exhibits a fundamental misunderstanding of football, medicine and statistics in two sentences. That has to be some sort of record.

Hey shit for brains - clearly you don't understand that Eddie Jackson is damaged goods. Lets break down this mis-understanding of football, medicine and statistics.

1) Football. Football players can't play football when they suffer torn ACL's, broken legs and have back surgery.

2) Medicine. Players who suffer torn ACL's, broken legs and back surgery require medical attention.

3) Statistics. Players who suffer torn torn ACL's, broken legs and have back surgery BEFORE they even enter the NFL will, in all likelyhood, not suddenly stay healthy.

Only on CCS would you find people who think drafting players who are clearly damaged goods is a great idea.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Hey shit for brains - clearly you don't understand that Eddie Jackson is damaged goods. Lets break down this mis-understanding of football, medicine and statistics.

1) Football. Football players can't play football when they suffer torn ACL's, broken legs and have back surgery.

2) Medicine. Players who suffer torn ACL's, broken legs and back surgery require medical attention.

3) Statistics. Players who suffer torn torn ACL's, broken legs and have back surgery BEFORE they even enter the NFL will, in all likelyhood, not suddenly stay healthy.

Only on CCS would you find people who think drafting players who are clearly damaged goods is a great idea.

Frank Gore tore his ACL, twice I believe, before he even entered the NFL. I think he's managed stay healthy and productive throughout his 13 year career.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Frank Gore tore his ACL, twice I believe, before he even entered the NFL. I think he's managed stay healthy and productive throughout his 13 year career.

And he broke his leg and had back surgery too? Didn't realize that.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Football: Football players get injured all the time, often have several injuries throughout their career. They also come back from injuries and continue playing all the time. Adrian Peterson was injured every year in college, and got hurt even more as a pro. He had a pretty stellar career. And Adrian Peterson isnt the only example of coming back from injuries and playing well, ridler80 above shouted out to Frank Gore as well.

Add to it that Jackson is a fourth round pick. If you expect 4th rounders to come in and be huge contributors, then you know even less than I had originally thought. Anything that 3rd day picks give you outside of ST is a boon, that's why people get all surprised when late round picks end up doing anything. Sidney Jones was injured much more recently and got taken in the second because they expect a full recovery, so apparently taking players who got hurt before is a concept foreign only to you.

Medicine: Doctors are on record saying they expect a full recovery from his surgery to his broken leg. He came back from the ACL injury and had a good year with no lingering difficulties. Reinjury rates go down with advances in medicine. Also, the injury concerns that people fret over are the ACL and broken leg, I havent seen anything about back surgery, and that isnt to say he never had back surgery, but it doesnt appear to be concerning at all. So he got his medical attention.

Statistics: Show your math why he has a <5% chance of staying healthy. Take your time, I'll wait.

In sum, injuries are a part of football, nobody expects 4th rounders to amount to much to begin with, you failed math, go be a cunt somewhere else.

DavidH

Liked Posts:

What back surgery did Eddie Jackson have?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/saban-eddie-jackson-has-successful-surgery-repair-leg

They put a rod in his leg to mend the fracture, my concern is this is the second time this had happened to him.

Johnny Knox might have been a great receiver if he was not bent in half.

Just another "fringe" player the bears drafted as if they are just filling pieces from a super bowl team.

He was a 4th round pick. What do you want? He is a legit NFL talent. If he doesn't have the injury concerns, he's a 2nd rounder easy. The kid can play. Injuries are mostly just luck.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Football: Football players get injured all the time, often have several injuries throughout their career. They also come back from injuries and continue playing all the time. Adrian Peterson was injured every year in college, and got hurt even more as a pro. He had a pretty stellar career. And Adrian Peterson isnt the only example of coming back from injuries and playing well, ridler80 above shouted out to Frank Gore as well.

Add to it that Jackson is a fourth round pick. If you expect 4th rounders to come in and be huge contributors, then you know even less than I had originally thought. Anything that 3rd day picks give you outside of ST is a boon, that's why people get all surprised when late round picks end up doing anything. Sidney Jones was injured much more recently and got taken in the second because they expect a full recovery, so apparently taking players who got hurt before is a concept foreign only to you.

Medicine: Doctors are on record saying they expect a full recovery from his surgery to his broken leg. He came back from the ACL injury and had a good year with no lingering difficulties. Reinjury rates go down with advances in medicine. Also, the injury concerns that people fret over are the ACL and broken leg, I havent seen anything about back surgery, and that isnt to say he never had back surgery, but it doesnt appear to be concerning at all. So he got his medical attention.

Statistics: Show your math why he has a <5% chance of staying healthy. Take your time, I'll wait.

In sum, injuries are a part of football, nobody expects 4th rounders to amount to much to begin with, you failed math, go be a cunt somewhere else.

E = mc2. Then I used the hypotenuse triangle to double check my work.

As you stated, 4th round picks usually bust out. So let's go ahead and reduce our already low probability and draft a cripple!!! Genius!

So 5% was probably high. I take it back -- how about 1%?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
E = mc2. Then I used the hypotenuse triangle to double check my work.

As you stated, 4th round picks usually bust out. So let's go ahead and reduce our already low probability and draft a cripple!!! Genius!

So 5% was probably high. I take it back -- how about 1%?

I haven't seen anything about a back injury. Source?

He tore his ACL during 2014 spring practices and was back to start the season in September, then broke his leg returning a punt in October. It's a concern, and the only reason he was available in the 4th.

Just like Jordan Howard last year.