Should there be a QB competition?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean, if he's ready, he should play. No matter what they say publicly, Glennon is just a placeholder until that time. Glennon allows them to be patient, though.

Glennon sucks canal water. He will get killed with our tackles and weak receivers.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Trubs will be the #3 and sit. No question he needs to develop at least a year. I think Philip Rivers sat for 2 years as well.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, I think Glennon starts most of the year and then Fox gets fired. Then, finally we can get a real coach to come here because of Trubisky.

Yeah, I am sure the door will get broken down to get to coach a kid with one year's experience as a starting college quarterback:)

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm usually in favor of letting a guy sit for a year and learn the game, but it kinda worries me with Trubisky. This is a guy who's only started 13 games in the past four years. I haven't seen anyone bring it up, but I wonder if it would actually be detrimental to have him sit for a whole year after seeing so little game time in college.

Exactly! Trubisky needs to play. He's not gonna learn shit sitting on the bench. This tweet pretty much sums up the situation:

Cian Fahey @Cianaf

Ironically, Trubisky went from someone who "hasn't played enough" to someone who can now "benefit from sitting." #NFLLogic

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No. Glennon is the starter and should begin the season. If Trubs brings it in the pre, he should be ready to roll after a few games if Mike struggles. Doing well in the class room and preseason is very different than games and while reps are important, going through a few weeks of actual game prep and experience NFL Blitz packages, Ds and speed will be invaluable before actually taking snaps. Rookie QBs also suffer from burnout when they start day one. Starting later if needed would help prevent that as well. All that said, I hope Glennon rocks the O this year.

Reps don't help you until you're prepared that won't happen on day one of the season. I don't think he needs to sit a full season but he shouldn't start it and it's not just the playbook and hot reads etc. He may have the best actual in game mechanics, outside of Kaaya when he's clean, in this draft but they still need work. We're in a position where we can hone him. We should take advantage of it. Fuck, I want to see him play but I get that we're better off waiting a month or few.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. Glennon is the starter and should begin the season. If Trubs brings it in the pre, he should be ready to roll after a few games if Mike struggles. Doing well in the class room and preseason is very different than games and while reps are important, going through a few weeks of actual game prep and experience NFL Blitz packages, Ds and speed will be invaluable before actually taking snaps. Rookie QBs also suffer from burnout when they start day one. Starting later if needed would help prevent that as well. All that said, I hope Glennon rocks the O this year.

Reps don't help you until you're prepared that won't happen on day one of the season. I don't think he needs to sit a full season but he shouldn't start it and it's not just the playbook and hot reads etc. He may have the best actual in game mechanics, outside of Kaaya when he's clean, in this draft but they still need work. We're in a position where we can hone him. We should take advantage of it. Fuck, I want to see him play but I get that we're better off waiting a month or few.

At some point, keeping him sitting on the bench will start to have a negative effect on Trubisky. He only started 13 games in college, he desperately needs in game experience. Hopefully he's in there after week 4.

Liked Posts:
Trubisky would have to blow Glennon out of the water for me to start him.

I want him to learn on the sidelines while Glennon gets slaughtered for being a statue in the pocket.

Plus, if you let Glennon play, an he does decent, maybe we trade him next year for picks.

Liked Posts:
Starting Trubisky week 10 could also buy another year for Ryan Pace. If Trubisky balls out, Pace wont be going anywhere.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
There's no rush to play Trubisky. Let him get up to speed and then some. By the time he gets his shot he should be chomping at the bit instead of wondering what a hard count is or how to take a snap from center.

Also, let the offense develop it's identity under Glennon, that way we can see who needs replacing and what needs to be upgraded before Mitch takes his first snap.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL....well don't let Pickles hear as talking like this.....he'll call us bleeding ' u know whats. But the more I watched Watson....the more he reminds me of a ' silent assassin' as a Qb and as a leader.

On trubs......we definitely need to see what he brings to the table as mg's opponent in Qb competition.

Fuck you if you're going to lie. I suspect Watson gets to start some time this year and does well. You're just a clueless loser asshole. I'm a Watson fan that just happened to prefer Trubisky and never pulled the sort of hater shit you do every single time Trubisky come up. You run to every Trubisky thread and shit on it. You have well earned your moniker of

RUN and SHIT

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
everyone seems to put their own narrative to fit an argument.......yes, being on an NFL roster will help matriculate any player whether they significant minutes or not.....

That being said, putting it to use at NFL full speed is necessary too.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At some point, keeping him sitting on the bench will start to have a negative effect on Trubisky. He only started 13 games in college, he desperately needs in game experience. Hopefully he's in there after week 4.

I really don't think it's that critical to start so early but I'd like to see him some time this year. If Glennon is doing great. I certainly wouldn't force it until out of contention. Ya, I know, unlikely. You get better with reps so I don't disagree but it's the Chicago Bears and not the Trubisky Bears.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every position at camp should have competition. Period.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Historically QB's have done better when sitting at least 8 games. But its not a certainly they pan out.

If its close in camp, then play Glennon. Let him start the season, see how he plays. If he's even decent, then he becomes a tradable commodity. People complain about the up front money but that very well could net them a draft pick because his contract becomes very cheap and easy to trade next year.

Unless Trubisky is just blowing him away, then he's likely to sit at least the 1st half of the season.

If you ever read about what happened in Seattle, it was super obvious that Wilson was better. Flynn couldn't grasp the offense and was making big mistakes in practice. He'd run a play, get yelled at for doing it wrong. Wilson would run a play and get attaboys. That happened daily and 100% of the team knew Wilson would start after camp ended. Wilson also understood a lot of the pro concepts for a rookie and benefited playing in NC State and Wisconsin systems.

If that happens then yes, Trubisky would likely start. But Glennon has a lot of experience in pro concepts, including that same offense at NC State as Wilson. He's played in different rp offenses while Trubisky is lacking in that department so I don't believe this is a likely scenario.

Washington

Liked Posts:
It Mitchell beats out Howdy Doody, he should start. Otherwise, no worries because Mitchell will get plenty of playing time.

I feel confident Glennon will be hurt because all Bear QBs get hurt. Also, we'll be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by mid season and that is when Mitchell should be put in to learn.

I don't want the new QB watching. Sitting is old school. It did no good for Barkley.

So, devil's advocate - what happens if Shaw outplays Mitchell? Does Shaw become #2? What if Shaw outplays Glennon too? Anything is possible.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
Trubisky would have to seriously outplay Glennon in preseason and show to the coaching staff that he's comfortable. A lot would have to happen in order for him to start and I'd probably rather he sits for a little, but if they feel comfortable then let's see what he's got.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Historically QB's have done better when sitting at least 8 games. But its not a certainly they pan out.

If its close in camp, then play Glennon. Let him start the season, see how he plays. If he's even decent, then he becomes a tradable commodity. People complain about the up front money but that very well could net them a draft pick because his contract becomes very cheap and easy to trade next year.

Unless Trubisky is just blowing him away, then he's likely to sit at least the 1st half of the season.

If you ever read about what happened in Seattle, it was super obvious that Wilson was better. Flynn couldn't grasp the offense and was making big mistakes in practice. He'd run a play, get yelled at for doing it wrong. Wilson would run a play and get attaboys. That happened daily and 100% of the team knew Wilson would start after camp ended. Wilson also understood a lot of the pro concepts for a rookie and benefited playing in NC State and Wisconsin systems.

If that happens then yes, Trubisky would likely start. But Glennon has a lot of experience in pro concepts, including that same offense at NC State as Wilson. He's played in different rp offenses while Trubisky is lacking in that department so I don't believe this is a likely scenario.

The last successful QB drafted in the 1st round to sit at least 8 games was Aaron Rodgers. The guys that sit 8 games usually have some big issues coming out of college.

Here is the list since Rodgers:

Johnny Manziel

Jake Locker

Tim Tebow

Jamarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

Jay Cutler

Jason Campbell

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes there should be competition, but I'd like to see what Glennon has to offer for a bit. Hopefully he looks decent enough to garner some trade interest next off season as he passes the baton to MT.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So 20 seconds

Right now, Runny Shit is feverishly searching for a quote of mine he can take out of context bashing Watson. Taking him a while. I've pointed to all their flaws, including Trubisky's so let's see what he comes up with.