IST: Cubs vs Phillies

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I get the argument but at some point you have to give him a long look or he'll never get better. I'm not saying he has to play every game but his defense is a difference maker no matter what he does at bat. So, I'd like to see them give him more opportunities.
I totally agree...

Why I was getting a bit aggravated when he was playing Heyward in CF so Zobrist can play RF, while Almora was swinging a hot bat..

I like Zobrist but I just like to see younger guys get their opportunities

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
C-18McUXkAEkCXo.jpg:large

Listen, I trust Maddon and think he's a hell of a manager but what the hell is it going to take for poor Schwarber to get a rest? He needs a break and probably a drop in the order. Not sure what Joe is thinking here.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Listen, I trust Maddon and think he's a hell of a manager but what the hell is it going to take for poor Schwarber to get a rest? He needs a break and probably a drop in the order. Not sure what Joe is thinking here.

I'm wondering when/if he's going to start shying away on Baez. I've obviously never been his biggest fan though admittedly he was much improved last year. But either way he's hitting .222/.275/.397 with a wRC+ of 60 over 70 PAs and that K rate is back up to 30% though on the plus side he is walking again at 5.7%. I get the need to play but that's worse than Heyward was last year(72 wRC+). And more troubling, that slash for Baez is basically in line with his career numbers thus far.

I don't want to start the "trade him" talk but with Happ crushing AAA I think we're going to have an interesting conversation in July as they are largely similar in their versatility though Baez is probably far and away a better overall defender.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm wondering when/if he's going to start shying away on Baez. I've obviously never been his biggest fan though admittedly he was much improved last year. But either way he's hitting .222/.275/.397 with a wRC+ of 60 over 70 PAs and that K rate is back up to 30% though on the plus side he is walking again at 5.7%. I get the need to play but that's worse than Heyward was last year(72 wRC+).

I don't want to start the "trade him" talk but with Happ crushing AAA I think we're going to have an interesting conversation in July as they are largely similar in their versatility though Baez is probably far and away a better overall defender.

I'm not sure Happ is similar to Baez in terms of versatility. Baez could almost play any position on the field if you needed him to while Happ will largely be relegated to 2B and/or LF. Plus if you do trade Javy you have to add a SS to the bench.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Happ is similar to Baez in terms of versatility. Baez could almost play any position on the field if you needed him to while Happ will largely be relegated to 2B and/or LF. Plus if you do trade Javy you have to add a SS to the bench.

True I'm a bit sleep deprived and forgot he's the only back up SS the cubs have. Hopefully when the weather heats up so does Baez and makes the point moot.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

What I've been saying..
Guy under .200 now after 100 AB

Give him a couple days off to refresh, not like their going to miss his bat in lineup..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He can play all 9 positions, what the point if he struggling with bat..
Love Baez and his defense but at some point he got to hit..

Same with Schwarber...
Love what he did in post season but seriously when is he going to hit in regular season and become more then just a guy who takes pitches and occasionally draws walks...

Plus.. It would be ok if / when Happ comes up he mainly at 2B, as long as he hits..

I appreciate having guys who can play multiple positions but sometimes you need to settle on one guy at a position and go with it everyday..

Having bench guys who can play multiple positions is what you need, not starters..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez kinda gets a pass due to him able to cover SS. Most league UI's are replacement quality players.

Schwarber has to hit to justify his glove. Pure and simple

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Unbelievable
Another first inning run given up..
Team seems to always be playing from behind

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Binny's thinks Kyle is great leading off.

.322 OBA is getting into Starlin Castro's numbers. And he sucked at lead off.

I'm passing it off to failed experiment and hard headiness

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Good to see Javy launch one

chibears55

Liked Posts:
.322 OBA is getting into Starlin Castro's numbers. And he sucked at lead off.

I'm passing it off to failed experiment and hard headiness
Funny I've been saying this for last couple weeks and been told I was over reacting ...

Numbers don't lie..
Last 100 AB in 2015
First 100 AB in 2017

Not very good, most guys at this point in career would be sent back to minors or benched, not playing everyday and hitting leadoff

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Javy 4 hits 2 homers since returning from a couple games off...

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
Nice to see Schwarber and Javy with solid performances tonight.

Surprised that one by Bryant stayed in.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I hadn't been following Baez all that closely in reference to my previous comments but he's apparently been hitting better the past week or so. Started the year hitting .196/.263/.333 over 58 PAs but has been .269/.315/.507 over his past 16 which is certainly better. Not sure I'd go as far as to say he's fine just yet but he's certainly trending that way and given I'd voiced previous concerns felt it was only fair to point this out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Here is the core problem: if he is a streak hitter then the pitching just needs to throw balls off the plate or hard sliders that start over the plate and end up in the dirt. This forces Javy to accept his walks or swing at pitcher pitches.

He needs to get more disciplined at the plate as a hitter vs play the "looks like a beach ball/ ping pong ball game"

He has talent. He really needs to hone it in now.