IST: Cubs vs Phillies

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I hadn't been following Baez all that closely in reference to my previous comments but he's apparently been hitting better the past week or so. Started the year hitting .196/.263/.333 over 58 PAs but has been .269/.315/.507 over his past 16 which is certainly better. Not sure I'd go as far as to say he's fine just yet but he's certainly trending that way and given I'd voiced previous concerns felt it was only fair to point this out.
Heard while he was sitting he tweaked something in his swing to help him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
C-7LkgnXoAA_OVN.jpg

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Off topic thought before tonight game...
Rangers last place 7 GB just lost Hamels to DL for 2 mos.

Yu Darvish 30 YO 11 mil FA after the season

He'd be someone i wouldn't mind if Cubs tried to bring in as a rental and maybe try to negotiate a deal to extend..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Off topic thought before tonight game...
Rangers last place 7 GB just lost Hamels to DL for 2 mos.

Yu Darvish 30 YO 11 mil FA after the season

He'd be someone i wouldn't mind if Cubs tried to bring in as a rental and maybe try to negotiate a deal to extend..

He feels long term signing.

I wouldn't be against it but for that amount I would rather retain Arrieta who has been healthy. Better bargain.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He feels long term signing.

I wouldn't be against it but for that amount I would rather retain Arrieta who has been healthy. Better bargain.
Darvish came back last year after missing 2015 with TJ surgery..
Started 17 games and looked good

I wouldn't worry about injuries with him..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez has always started the seasons cold. Check his minors stats. It usually takes him about a month and then he gets locked in. Now, he does have streakiness in him but that comes with free swingers.

Baez is never going to be Bryant and Rizzo with OBP, but the power and speed plus defense is what still makes him superstar potential. He also has an unbelievable work ethic. For some reason, people like to bet against him. They have ever since he was drafted and he keeps putting in the work. Anyone who doesnt want to him and Addi up the middle for the next ten years is just being blind and wanting a shiny new toy. You are talking the defense of Vizquel and Alomar with both having 20 plus home run potential with Baez power having a bigger ceiling.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez has always started the seasons cold. Check his minors stats. It usually takes him about a month and then he gets locked in. Now, he does have streakiness in him but that comes with free swingers.

Baez is never going to be Bryant and Rizzo with OBP, but the power and speed plus defense is what still makes him superstar potential. He also has an unbelievable work ethic. For some reason, people like to bet against him. They have ever since he was drafted and he keeps putting in the work. Anyone who doesnt want to him and Addi up the middle for the next ten years is just being blind and wanting a shiny new toy. You are talking the defense of Vizquel and Alomar with both having 20 plus home run potential with Baez power having a bigger ceiling.

He still needs to learn to keep off of pitches not in his hit zone.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/hotzones/_/id/32127/javier-baez

Shows he is a inning half hitter. (pull) and belt high outside. (steps into the pitch and drives away)

Early in the count he should focus on those 2 areas and let the rest pass. Deep into the count he needs to expand to anything close.

Then when he is hot he should be able to focus on ball spin and release points.

Free swinging is just a excuse. Anyone can learn to lock down on his own strengths and weaknesses.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He still needs to learn to keep off of pitches not in his hit zone.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/hotzones/_/id/32127/javier-baez

Shows he is a inning half hitter. (pull) and belt high outside. (steps into the pitch and drives away)

Early in the count he should focus on those 2 areas and let the rest pass. Deep into the count he needs to expand to anything close.

Then when he is hot he should be able to focus on ball spin and release points.

Free swinging is just a excuse. Anyone can learn to lock down on his own strengths and weaknesses.

True, that's why making the major leagues is easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Its crazy all these first inning runs..
Almost got out of this one, had 2 outs but once again Cubs are behind 2 runs now

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

DanTown

Liked Posts:
There's a strong part of me that wishes that Zobrist and Baez would just platoon at 2B and then just keep Heyward in Right and platoon Almora/Jay in CF. I just don't get this fascination to play Zobrist so many innings in the OF, especially next to Schwarber, especially when the team's defense is struggling.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There's a strong part of me that wishes that Zobrist and Baez would just platoon at 2B and then just keep Heyward in Right and platoon Almora/Jay in CF. I just don't get this fascination to play Zobrist so many innings in the OF, especially next to Schwarber, especially when the team's defense is struggling.
Zobrist don't need to be playing that much anymore...
Let him PH and get his starts in LF against some LHers..

Maddon needs to just settle with an everyday lineup which includes Almora in C.F. and Baez at 2B everyday and ride with it..

If their the future play them...

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Zoe is just not that good in the outfield.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wish Maddon for one series, just sit Schwarber and Zobrist and let Almora and Jay start in OF..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Seems like every Cubs hitter has a shift on against them..
Wonder if their victims of having too many pull hitters in lineup, where it seems every hard hit ball that would be singles in hole or up the middle are easily fielded..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wish Maddon for one series, just sit Schwarber and Zobrist and let Almora and Jay start in OF..

I've been partial to

Jay
Bryant
Rizzo
Russell
Schwarber
Conteras
Heyward
Baez
Pitcher

Kyle needs to get back to being a hitter first and take walks if the pitcher is playing around the plate. Putting him into a RBI spot would help here.

Jay is worse as a CF than Almora but the team needs a lead off and Jay is the closest thing to that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
True, that's why making the major leagues is easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never said it was. All I said is he needs to simplify. The fact he is there puts him in the top 1%.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I've been partial to

Jay
Bryant
Rizzo
Russell
Schwarber
Conteras
Heyward
Baez
Pitcher

Kyle needs to get back to being a hitter first and take walks if the pitcher is playing around the plate. Putting him into a RBI spot would help here.

Jay is worse as a CF than Almora but the team needs a lead off and Jay is the closest thing to that.
Schwarber needs a couple weeks in Iowa til he figures it out...
What he got now 40 Ks in 100+ ABs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Schwarber needs a couple weeks in Iowa til he figures it out...
What he got now 40 Ks in 100+ ABs

Can't hurt. But I'm thinking that they will string this along and make a big deal of his 1-3 Day with a 3 run HR. While he sports a .190 BA.

I would give him a few days off. Let him step back and watch some video of what he is doing vs what he was doing. Then see how pitchers are attacking him. Then go from there. If it takes a few weeks in Iowa fine. If it is a minor adjustment and then get back in there.

But as a lead off he needs to be not hitting .190. That just means he is getting the most outs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Honestly if he was a literal average hitter(100 wRC+) I'd be cool. I mean I know I've not been the most impartial person in ref to him but my concern earlier in the topic was more about him just not hitting at all. My worry for him is not that he will never succeed it's more that he needs time to get there and how long do you really want to live with a guy not hitting for future progress on a WS contending team? The upside on Baez is obvious and maybe the slow start isn't a huge deal on a team that probably makes the playoffs in its sleep.

Regardless after his recent streak he is back to 100 wRC+ so I'm less concerned.