Is Avisail Garcia finally breaking out?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I don't think it would be wise to trade Avi. The Sox are being built a bit differently than the Cubs were. The Sox could be contenders next year because their young pitching is in AA and AAA, and their young position players Moncada, and Roberts could all be playing regularly by June/July next year. So why trade Avi when he could be a key contributor next year?

The Cubs had zero assets to trade with and had to tank and get high draft picks. The Sox, by unloading Quintana, could reload the top of their system with MLB ready position players and tank this year and draft a college position player, like the Cubs did who could be ready by 2019.

With Avi, Moncada, Roberts, Davidson, Anderson you have 5/8 of your position players set for 5 years +. If you count Abreu, that is 6/8, and you could fill in catcher until Collins is ready with a veteran like Ross/Montero.

What took the Cubs 4-5 years should take the Sox 2-3 years and they should be there to play the Cubs in 2020 WS!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm starting to believe Avi is legit. For a while, I was waiting for him to completely drop off, but this looks sustainable. Mostly because his approach at the plate has changed. More disciplined, hitting to all parts of the field, etc.

Gotta give some credit to Renteria here. Both Avi and Davidson have had really good seasons so far. Maybe Renteria is good with young player development? If so, that bodes really well for the future.

I think that Stephenson probably deserves a lot of credit for his development. I had a kid who played in the A's organization and he said that when he was with the A's he was regarded as their hitting guru.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And then he goes 4-5 with two homers and 6 RBI... Let's settle down with all the trade talk. The Sox have plenty of older players to move along with Q.

IT is nuts to talk about trading a guy who appears to be figuring things out. You keep young affordable players like he is. Hell, you want to get more players like that not trade them away because they do not come to you everyday.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
And then he goes 4-5 with two homers and 6 RBI... Let's settle down with all the trade talk. The Sox have plenty of older players to move along with Q.

And that's the kicker. I was debating starting a thread asking how do you know if a player is trade-bait, or worth keeping and using as a building block for the future. And I think age is a major, not the biggest, but major factor.

Avi is 25 years and finally seems to be putting it together. Why would you want to trade him when the light seemingly turns on? At some point you have to keep pieces to build with instead of trading them for potential. On top of that, how much would he command in a trade? One season of good play wouldn't bring back a huge haul IMO.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No one said give Avi away. The talk is if an overpay offer comes in you of course move him.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And that's the kicker. I was debating starting a thread asking how do you know if a player is trade-bait, or worth keeping and using as a building block for the future. And I think age is a major, not the biggest, but major factor.

Avi is 25 years and finally seems to be putting it together. Why would you want to trade him when the light seemingly turns on? At some point you have to keep pieces to build with instead of trading them for potential. On top of that, how much would he command in a trade? One season of good play wouldn't bring back a huge haul IMO.

Right. There are many many prospects who break into the majors at 24-25. Here we have a young guy who has already had a lot of major league experience. It would be very dumb to just trade him. It'd be different if he was older. He isn't