My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Crystallas said:
Thibs made average players better.
This is true, but specifically, he made a lot of PGs look great.

I kinda-sorta disagree with you on drafting a PG, but it's only if they make that trade with Boston for the top pick. If they stay put at #16, then yeah, a wing player who can guard is your best bet.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well, my whole point is: biggest team need =/= best use of draft pick, and this year, this situation, I don't see how a PG would be wise. We can draft the best PG at 16-range, and still be in the same scenario if Cannan was starting 82 games. Actually, Cannan could redeem himself and be better than a 16th pick PG in this draft with Hoiberg(most important part of the equation). Teague is an example of what this FO considers a good young PG (and they're almost all young in the 1st round this year).

That doesn't mean we can't find a steal in the 2nd round with a PG. If there were a draft where a starting caliber PG could be developed from the 2nd round, this is one of those drafts.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
We have a bad coach, and the PG is an extension of the coach. Good PGs look bad with a bad coach. Let alone the guys GarPax picked up off the D-League salvage list.

When a team is broken at any point, including the front office, players aren't motivated. The Bulls would be flat out brain damaged to draft a PG in the 1st with all things considered (bad coach, log jam, deep PG list in FA, young draft class that require more development from said bad coach).

The odd thing thru this whole ordeal though, was Thibbs was a defensive coach, no real offense to speak about, now we have the offensive minded coach and nobody can play defense, but no point guard can get the system either.

You would figure you would have it one way or the other......

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Thibs is a defensive first coach. He knew offense very well, heck, it's not hard to learn offensive schemes, everyone on a message board knows offense. He just didn't deploy it for whatever reason, then players like Mirotic who didn't GAF about defense would cry to the FO about playing time. Oddly, while Thibs might not be the best coach and all that, all of these issues that came up against him about what he chose to do with players, how players were getting injured and not being that he overplayed them, are coming back to side with everything Tom said happened. He is being vindicated, not by doing a great job in Minny, but by Gar/Pax doing a bad job here specific to those very concerns.

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't underestimate the fact that Thibs had veterans overer here while he has young guns in Minny. If they stay together a couple of years and keep learning you better have them on your watchlist!

czman

Liked Posts:
Don't underestimate the fact that Thibs had veterans overer here while he has young guns in Minny. If they stay together a couple of years and keep learning you better have them on your watchlist!

Yeah, a team that hits on some 1st overall picks is going to be good if they stick together; regardless of the coach. This will be big draft for them.

czman

Liked Posts:
Well, my whole point is: biggest team need =/= best use of draft pick, and this year, this situation, I don't see how a PG would be wise. We can draft the best PG at 16-range, and still be in the same scenario if Cannan was starting 82 games. Actually, Cannan could redeem himself and be better than a 16th pick PG in this draft with Hoiberg(most important part of the equation). Teague is an example of what this FO considers a good young PG (and they're almost all young in the 1st round this year).

That doesn't mean we can't find a steal in the 2nd round with a PG. If there were a draft where a starting caliber PG could be developed from the 2nd round, this is one of those drafts.

I agree with the premise that you draft for need in the NBA. Not enough players on the roster and enough position flexibility to be able to purely draft PBA. Scheme fit is also important.

I disagree that center is the biggest need or that any PG will work if you have a good coach. Thibs never had efficient PGs, but the defense of the team allowed for the Bulls to have inefficient offense. The Bulls severely need athletic shooters on the perimeter. Someone to pair with Butler and replace Wade is a bigger need. If they can get a top tier PG prospect that would be good also. I just don't buy that a good coach can fix any PG. Lopez has a few years left under contract and getting a backup center in FA is not going to be too costly or difficult.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don't think anyone said a good coach can fix any PG, or any PG would work if you have a good coach. I said good coaches make players better, thus why we got away with garbage backups under Thibs, but we can't under Hoiberg.

At the 16th pick range, nobody at 16 is worthwhile as a PG. We'll get more mileage out of a C or PF. We'll find a better PG in FA. And we have a vet team now, so developing a young PG is way more work and will basically be out of here after their rookie contract IF the team somehow finds/develops a quality PG.

Let's make this more specific, who do people think will be on the board at 16 they want to draft? I guess that is more for the draft thread, but when you look at that list, seems more like buying into hype.