The Mike Glennon Conundrum

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe the sooner Mitchell Trubisky plays the better. The analysts liked to lump all of the QB's together in the "needs to sit" category, but Trubisky is not a developmental QB. There will eventually become a tipping point in his progression after he learns the offense where every game he misses starts becoming a negative.

- Cian Fahey @Cianaf

Ironically, Trubisky went from someone who "hasn't played enough" to someone who can now "benefit from sitting." #NFLLogic

All that being said, I am fully aware that Ryan Pace and John Fox will probably try to send Glennon out on the field as long as possible or until he stops breathing. Even then, I'm not so sure.

6Ria_A.gif

So accepting the situation, let's take a look at the different scenarios that could play out depending on his performance. I'll go over the pros and cons and then grade it using my Adigrade grading system

SCENARIO #1 - HOSTILE TAKEOVER

when-you-need-to-use-the-bathroom-and-people-are-in-your-way.gif

In this scenario, Mike Glennon is a spectacular failure right from the get go. John Fox has no choice but to bench Glennon after only 4 games. It's probably the last thing he wants to do, but sees the season slipping away from him and makes one final attempt at saving his job.

PROS

- Trubisky gets more than a half a season worth of playing experience. This is huge given the fact that Trubisky started only 13 games in 3 seasons at UNC.

- energizes the fanbase

CONS

- The Bears are paying 18.5 mil to a backup QB

- Depending on where he is in his development, Trubisky may or may not be ready.

ADIGRADE - Digiorno's

- This is a great outcome because every game that Trubisky starts will be invaluable to him.

SCENARIO #2 - SUICIDAL IDEATION

giphy.gif

- In this scenario, Mike Glennon does not play badly enough to get benched but does not play good enough to show that he can be relied upon to become an above average starter. This leaves the Bears in a sort of purgatory, and it leaves the fan base numb.

PROS

- Bears will have seen enough of Mike Glennon to assess and cut ties with him after 2017.

CONS

- Mitchell Trubisky gains no experience other than a handful of series over the course of the season.

- The fan base is neither exited, nor angry. It's much worse, they are bored.

ADIGRADE - Tombstone's

- This would be a terrible outcome. You would have a QB that is as good as gone after the season taking valuable snaps from your game starved rookie QB.

SCENARIO #3 - HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO

148212.gif

- Now this is the scenario where tough choices have to be made. Maybe even very unpopular decisions. In this scenario, Mike Glennon actually plays well all season. He doesn't take the Bears to the playoffs but keeps the team competitive. The team rallies around him

PROS

- The Bears may have just found a legitimate QB at a team friendly contract.

- Hope is setting in for the Chicago Bears fan base.

- Mike Glennon's trade value soars

CONS

- Again, Mitchell gets little or no much needed experience.

- John Fox and Ryan Pace have to make a critical decision.

ADIGRADE - Home Run Inn

This is a very good dilemma to have but it's also one that could have some dire consequences. On one hand, you have a guy who performed like a top 15 QB during the season. A guy who has a very manageable contract. A guy who the team believes in. I remember near the time Tony Romo was set to return, there were reports that the locker room was all in on Prescott. It came out that there would be a mutiny in the locker room if they pulled Prescott. So do you keep and start Glennon the next season? His value is sky high, so do you trade him for valuable prospects if their might be a mutiny. Will the fans except a move to trade Glennon after he had a promising first season?

And then we have Mitchell Trubisky. How does this all affect him? Well, the pressure would be surely on. The Bears will have traded away a QB who had a good season, and in comes Mitchell Trubisky who had little to no playing time the previous season and some resentful players.

Or do you just bite the bullet and keep both Glennon and Trubisky? For Trubisky, he will be 24 years old and have had only 13 starts in the past 4 years. Can the Bears really afford to keep their #2 pick QB sitting on the bench to start the 2018 season? Or what about the other way around. Could the Bears just keep Glennon as the backup QB? Maybe. But it might just be too ridiculous to keep a 16 mill backup QB. Also, after an impressive year, Glennon will expect to start. If not for the Bears, for another team. Glennon is not going to just sit idly by while the Bears bench him after a solid season. He will likely demand a trade. And such a QB controversy could become toxic.

CNiel36

Liked Posts:
I think the narrative about having a $16 million backup QB being unacceptable is out dated. This would have been horrible a few years ago when the caps was tight, but that it no longer the case. We have $20 million in cap space and were one of the most active teams in FA, and the cap is only going up next year. If Glennon plays well or just okay, he will be here for year 2, either as a starter or as the backup for Trubisky. The only way he is gone in year 2 is if he sucks.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I'd start MT day 1. This is not a Mahomes situation where you need to rebuild him the ground up. The biggest knock on Mitch is lack of starts.

Get him the game experience he needs. I'd rather him take his lumps and learn from mistakes year 1 then have him do so after a year on the bench. No matter how long you sit him he is going to have to adjust to playing at the NFL level.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky is the future of this offense no matter what, but Glennon gets his 2017 audtion for the League while Mitchell lives in a film room for a few months.

I hope for the third option and Pace trades him to the Broncos for two first round picks, but realistically it will be closer to the second option and we get our third round pick back if Glennon refuses to play second fiddle in 2018.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most of Glennon's guaranteed money comes in the first year anyway. So his ass is playing the whole year to prove that he belongs in the NFL. After that, if he does decently but not enough to get a good draft pick, keep him as a back up. Even if he costs 15Mil to be a backup. I only get rid of him if you can find another rookie who can give you the same production as a backup

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd start MT day 1. This is not a Mahomes situation where you need to rebuild him the ground up. The biggest knock on Mitch is lack of starts.

Get him the game experience he needs. I'd rather him take his lumps and learn from mistakes year 1 then have him do so after a year on the bench. No matter how long you sit him he is going to have to adjust to playing at the NFL level.

While he does not have to be rebuilt or reprogrammed like Mahomes from the ground up, he has also never called out plays in a huddle and taken snaps from under center, nor had to read an NFL defense.

Let's not pretend that he is ready made for the field, luckily his mechanics are mostly good so, he will not "fall back on poor mechanics". What we don't want to have a QB whos confidence gets ruined because he gets thrown out too soon and gets devoured by experienced NFL defenses.

That being said. I'd love to see him this year. I've never been on nor want to be on the Glennon bandwagon, just want what's best for our shiny new rookie qb.:bowrofl:

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
The Bears will (most likely) suck to begin the year and lose the majority of their first 7-8 games. If not all.

Trubs will get the call this year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

1. He has a mechanical flaw in his throwing motion that needs to be fixed related to his elbow.

2. He has to learn how to play under center.

3. He has to learn the playbook.

4. He has to adjust to the NFL.

5. He has to develop chemistry with his WRs.

6. He has to learn how to read NFL defenses and go through NFL progressions.

That's just to name a few. There are plenty of things he has to learn and it all depends on how fast he learns it. Sending a guy out there to play games when he's still for example not completely fixed any mechanical flaws is a recipe for his mechanics to revert to what he knows.

So I wouldn't want him getting game action until they get his mechanics right and are comfortable that those mechanics are repeatable when pressured. Otherwise, you end up with a guy like Cutler whose mechanics may look fine until the pressure starts coming and then he reverts to his more natural state.

I don't know how long this is all going to take so maybe he is ready by Week 1 or maybe not but I don't like the idea of predetermining things. He should play when he's actually ready.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Scenario #4 Glennon plays far better than everyone expects.

Pros:
It would be great to have two QB's with value, specifically trade value, on the team
We win games that no one gives us a chance to win
Allows Trubs to have all the time he needs to develop

Cons:
I cannot think of any.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. He has a mechanical flaw in his throwing motion that needs to be fixed related to his elbow.

That's just to name a few. There are plenty of things he has to learn and it all depends on how fast he learns it. Sending a guy out there to play games when he's still for example not completely fixed any mechanical flaws is a recipe for his mechanics to revert to what he knows.

So I wouldn't want him getting game action until they get his mechanics right and are comfortable that those mechanics are repeatable when pressured. Otherwise, you end up with a guy like Cutler whose mechanics may look fine until the pressure starts coming and then he reverts to his more natural state.

I don't know how long this is all going to take so maybe he is ready by Week 1 or maybe not but I don't like the idea of predetermining things. He should play when he's actually ready.

Most of the things you stated every rookie has to deal with. No QB is 100% mechanically correct so they all have something to fix.

His biggest issue will be taking snaps under center and turning his back to the defense.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Coming out of college, Carson Wentz had more issues than you could fit into a book.

Washington

Liked Posts:
He'll play, assuming he's not tripping over his feet out there, when (a) Glennon gets hurt because all Bears' QBs get hurt, (b) Glennon stinks, or (c) we are eliminated from playoff contention, so mid-season most likely. If healthy, Glennon will be the day 1 starter.

I want Glennon to be a star and I want the Bears to then keep him hopefully giving us 2 competent QBs something none of us have every witnessed on the Bears (and I go back 55 years).

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Bears will (most likely) suck to begin the year and lose the majority of their first 7-8 games. If not all.

Trubs will get the call this year.

Please God make that happen.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Speaking of Glennon, has he come out of hiding?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm probably in the minority here, but I believe the sooner Mitchell Trubisky plays the better. The analysts liked to lump all of the QB's together in the "needs to sit" category, but Trubisky is not a developmental QB. There will eventually become a tipping point in his progression after he learns the offense where every game he misses starts becoming a negative.

- Cian Fahey @Cianaf

Ironically, Trubisky went from someone who "hasn't played enough" to someone who can now "benefit from sitting." #NFLLogic

All that being said, I am fully aware that Ryan Pace and John Fox will probably try to send Glennon out on the field as long as possible or until he stops breathing. Even then, I'm not so sure.

6Ria_A.gif

So excepting the situation, let's take a look at the different scenarios that could play out depending on his performance. I'll go over the pros and cons and then grade it using my Adigrade grading system

when-you-need-to-use-the-bathroom-and-people-are-in-your-way.gif

In this scenario, Mike Glennon is a spectacular failure right from the get go. John Fox has no choice but to bench Glennon after only 4 games. It's probably the last thing he wants to do, but sees the season slipping away from him and makes one final attempt at saving his job.

PROS

- Trubisky gets more than a half a season worth of playing experience. This is huge given the fact that Trubisky started only 13 games in 3 seasons at UNC.

- energizes the fanbase

CONS

- The Bears are paying 18.5 mil to a backup QB

- Depending on where he is in his development, Trubisky may or may not be ready.

ADIGRADE - Digiorno's

- This is a great outcome because every game that Trubisky starts will be invaluable to him.

giphy.gif

- In this scenario, Mike Glennon does not play badly enough to play but does not play good enough to show that he can be relied upon to become an above average starter. This leaves the Bears in a sort of purgatory, and it leaves the fan base numb.

PROS

- Bears will have seen enough of Mike Glennon to assess and cut ties with him after 2017.

CONS

- Mitchell Trubisky gains no experience other than a handful of series over the course of the season.

- The fan base is neither exited, nor angry. It's much worse, they are bored.

ADIGRADE - Tombstone's

- This would be a terrible outcome. You would have a QB that is as good as gone after the season taking valuable snaps from your game starved rookie QB.

148212.gif

- Now this is the scenario where tough choices have to be made. Maybe even very unpopular decisions. In this scenario, Mike Glennon actually plays well all season. He doesn't take the Bears to the playoffs but keeps the team competitive. The team rallies around him

PROS

- The Bears may have just found a legitimate QB at a team friendly contract.

- Hope is setting in for the Chicago Bears fan base.

- Mike Glennon's trade value soars

CONS

- Again, Mitchell gets little or no much needed experience.

- John Fox and Ryan Pace have to make a critical decision.

ADIGRADE - Home Run Inn

This is a very good dilemma to have but it's also one that could have some dire consequences. On one hand, you have a guy who performed like a top 15 QB during the season. A guy who has a very manageable contract. A guy who the team believes in. I remember near the time Tony Romo was set to return, there were reports that the locker room was all in on Prescott. It came out that there would be a mutiny in the locker room if they pulled Prescott. So do you keep and start Glennon the next season? His value is sky high, so do you trade him for valuable prospects if their might be a mutiny. Will the fans except a move to trade Glennon after he had a promising first season?

And then we have Mitchell Trubisky. How does this all affect him? Well, the pressure would be surely on. The Bears will have traded away a QB who had a good season, and in comes Mitchell Trubisky who had little to no playing time the previous season and some resentful players.

Or do you just bite the bullet and keep both Glennon and Trubisky? For Trubisky, he will be 24 years old and have had only 13 starts in the past 4 years. Can the Bears really afford to keep their #2 pick QB sitting on the bench to start the 2018 season? Or what about the other way around. Could the Bears just keep Glennon as the backup QB? Maybe. But it might just be too ridiculous to keep a 16 mill backup QB. Also, after an impressive year, Glennon will expect to start. If not for the Bears, for another team. Glennon is not going to just sit idly by while the Bears bench him after a solid season. He will likely demand a trade. And such a QB controversy could become toxic.

You put to much thought into this. The best Player will play.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So excepting the situation, let's take a look at the different scenarios that could play out depending on his performance. I'll go over the pros and cons and then grade it using my Adigrade grading system

ADIGRADE - Digiorno's

ADIGRADE - Tombstone's

ADIGRADE - Home Run Inn

You forgot the ultimate dream scenario.

SCENARIO #4-STEP IN SHIT AND COME OUT SMELLING LIKE A ROSE.
shitt.gif~c200

-Glennon starts the season and looks above average, maybe even a bit better. Game 5 he sustains a strained hammy.
-Trubisky comes in and Wally Pipps Glennon.

Pros:
-Glennon shows he has value giving the Bears trade value
-Trubisky gets to see a few games before hitting the floor running.

Cons:
-None

JUSTWIN

BANNED
Liked Posts:

I want to play with my new shiny toy NOW! Lol...me too btw.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want him to sit but if he beats out Glennon in camp, I have no problem starting him.

I JUST DONT WANT HIM LEARNING 2 DIFFERENT OFFENSES!!!!!!

I want him to learn whatever he has to. I thought Watson was the one who got the low Wonderlic score. Let's not paint the Trubster as a dummy just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
I want him to learn whatever he has to. I thought Watson was the one who got the low Wonderlic score. Let's not paint the Trubster as a dummy just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron Rodgers has been running the same offense his whole career. He knows every play like the back of his hand because of it. He knows what will work as soon as he gets to the line & reads the Defense. Last thing we need is to screw this kid up like what we did with Cutler. Cutler had 5-6 offensive coordinators in 6-7 years. Bears need to find their next coach...John Fox needs to go imo.