Now the hard work for Pace begins

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I actually think the hard work for Pace starts now and the 2018 offseason is far bigger for him.

Drafting a QB was a big decision, but it had to happen.

Now he needs to show that he can build a team around that QB to make him successful and to show that he can avoid the mistakes of the Cutler era.

If Trubisky sucks than that is a problem, but if he sucks because the Bears learned nothing from Cutler than that is unforgivable.

1. Probably hiring a new HC with a QB in mind
2. Addressing the OT position
3. Addressing the WR position
4. Having the defense take the next step while resources go to the offense.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
DT should be an easy fix this offseason Jaye Howard, Jared Odrick, Sheldon Richardson.

Pace should also give Aikem Hicks, Cameron Meredith and Pat O'Donnell contract extensions maybe Eddie Goldman while he is still cheap.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
DT should be an easy fix this offseason Jaye Howard, Jared Odrick, Sheldon Richardson.

Pace should also give Aikem Hicks, Cameron Meredith and Pat O'Donnell contract extensions.

You think the Bears are signing all those guys???

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The WR and TE group is going to be the lynch pin of the season and where they sit going into 2018

If those groups can turn into something it would be huge.

It is not crazy there are

High Picks (White, Shaheen, Wright)
Solid Free Agents (Wheaton, Sims)
Some interesting youth (Meredith, Brown)

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
Who will the next head coach, offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator be, if they are all gone after this season?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Who will the next head coach, offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator be, if they are all gone after this season?

it's the Chicago Bears. not the Oakland Raiders. or Las Vegas Raiders now I guess. regardless, they're not getting shitcanned. I'm expecting better than 3 wins anyway. #expectations

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh. This year and next are going to depend on the D continuing to improve. They don't have to be great, but it has to be a competent unit or they will have to treat games like scrimmages when Trubs is in there. Above all else, they CANNOT put Trubs in and have him throwing 35 times a game, chasing a shit D.

Oh, and the OL of course. Again, don't have to be great. But fucking HAVE to be competent. Bears have time on O skill positions still.

Good news is the arrow has generally been pointing in the right direction for both the OL and the D imo.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The defense was not shit last year. Secondary needed work but the defense was still better than half the teams in the league last year. Have some pretty good young talent on the defensive side of the ball. Deiondre Hall has the potential to be a good one if he takes another step this season.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like the next draft will be the opposite of this one when it comes to OTs. There are quite a few potential first-rounders.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You know, after seeing how the whole Trubisky scouting and drafting process played out I have to believe now that the coaching staff's jobs are far more secure than any of us fans actually thought. I don't too often agree with Teddy KGB but his crackpot theory is looking pretty accurate. Sure does seem like Cutler was holding the franchise hostage the last couple of seasons due to his contract and the fact we weren't in position to replace him in those two years. Those chains have been broken and we have more or less put the QB room in the right direction. The defense is far better than most give it credit. The offense is slowly gaining play makers and developing. Assuming we don't have another Special person injury riddled season I think these coaches might just be around longer than we expected.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
In 2018 Bears roster will need:

- WR prospect with potential to become #1 go-to receiver
- higher quality LT and RT starters who can replace Leno & Massie
- higher quality 5-tech DE
- couple of OLB prospects to replace old and oft injured McPhee/Young/Houston
- new ILB if Trevathan can't get back to his level before career threatening injury
- shutdown CB is still a need
- ballhawk FS is still a need

In 2017 Offseason/Draft, Pace potentially shored up QB and TE position, and did absolutely nothing more (signed couple of veterans to delay fixing issues on secondary, while RT and 5-tech DE are still a problem), plus he also created a HUGE hole at WR (let Jeffery leave, while his WR pick White is a probable bust).

Washington

Liked Posts:
The WR and TE group is going to be the lynch pin of the season and where they sit going into 2018

If those groups can turn into something it would be huge.

It is not crazy there are

High Picks (White, Shaheen, Wright)
Solid Free Agents (Wheaton, Sims)
Some interesting youth (Meredith, Brown)

I have far more faith in the new TE group than I do the WRs. I think we have one of the worst WR groups in the entire NFL. We're banking on complete 180s from the 3 Ws and that is a lot to ask. Meredith is really the only sure thing in the bunch and he's a low end #2.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The defense was not shit last year. Secondary needed work but the defense was still better than half the teams in the league last year. Have some pretty good young talent on the defensive side of the ball. Deiondre Hall has the potential to be a good one if he takes another step this season.

15th in yards
24th in points, with a terrible offense
12th in sacks

They were not hot shit.

Rise

Liked Posts:
The hard part is over, finding the QB is easily the most difficult thing to do. In Pace's mind that mission is complete. I expect him to go all out next offseason for FAs and hopefully we are able to make some trades that result in 10 or so picks in the next 2 drafts. I hope he loosens up a little in FA, I mean spend the 500k for your top guy please!

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Agreed Windy. I wrote up the other day that this roster doesn't have the holes we had in years past. The tough part for us, and any team in that position, is to find upgrades from average starters to very good to elite starters at some of these positions.

When you start picking anywhere from 12-20 overall, that elite upper end talent is harder to find.

Due to Pace's ability to find great picks in the 2nd round, I feel Pace will really excel at this.

Additionally, as this team improves our free agent marketability will improve as well. We should have some resources the next few offseasons to add talent, and hopefully Chicago becomes a more attractive place for free agents.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Still Need

-#1 WR
-#1 CB
-#1 S
-OT
-5 Technique
-OLB youth

Now of course guys can grow into those roles in 2017, but those are the needs that I see right now.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The hard part is over, finding the QB is easily the most difficult thing to do. In Pace's mind that mission is complete. I expect him to go all out next offseason for FAs and hopefully we are able to make some trades that result in 10 or so picks in the next 2 drafts. I hope he loosens up a little in FA, I mean spend the 500k for your top guy please!

I think that both are possibilities

-I think now that they have taken the big step of bringing in the QB they will be more apt to spend money in free agency. They have a huge incentive to support their QB investment.

-Not needing a QB now allows you to move down in the draft, it now allows you to take the defensive talent that falls when the QBs go.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the coaching staff just the way it is. We will contend this year, and will probably make playoffs if we stay relatively healthy. Probably need to add a top receiver in draft next year, and one more key secondary defensive player, and a kicker.