Browns Owner Furious They Didn't Draft Trubisky

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't even know where to begin with Kizer's negatives. He's not going to get away with locking on and lousy accuracy in the NFL. I'll be rooting for him, but I wouldn't have drafted him before the third round.

Yeah, it's gonna take a while to get Kizer right.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well yeah, their first four picks were Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers, David Njoku, and Deshone Kizer. Plus one of those picks was a trade down where they got an additional 2018 1st round pick.

They got a 2018 2nd round pick as well. That trade was ridiculous for them.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't even know where to begin with Kizer's negatives. He's not going to get away with locking on and lousy accuracy in the NFL. I'll be rooting for him, but I wouldn't have drafted him before the third round.

If you have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds, taking Kizer in the 2nd is something you have to do if you are the Browns IMO. He definitely had a 2nd round grade for most and you already drafted 3 really good prospects ahead of him.

If I'm the Browns i probably start him the whole year and if he bombs then fuck it I draft Darnold as his bombing probably means the Browns will be in the top 3 again.

If he succeeds then you have so many picks next year it's not not even funny. If they do things right they could be competing by 2018 IMO.

ditka4life

Liked Posts:
If you have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds, taking Kizer in the 2nd is something you have to do if you are the Browns IMO. He definitely had a 2nd round grade for most and you already drafted 3 really good prospects ahead of him.

If I'm the Browns i probably start him the whole year and if he bombs then fuck it I draft Darnold as his bombing probably means the Browns will be in the top 3 again.

If he succeeds then you have so many picks next year it's not not even funny. If they do things right they could be competing by 2018 IMO.

Yes, tank forever and re-build forever until the next Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck lands at number 1.

Suck for Darnold 2018.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

I think he has the tools, but he needs a lot of refinement. Like I said, I'll be rooting for him. His receivers fell off last season and it showed, because he's a typical college QB who can hardly get off his first read. He could end up being the best of the class, but I doubt it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think he has the tools, but he needs a lot of refinement. Like I said, I'll be rooting for him. His receivers fell off last season and it showed, because he's a typical college QB who can hardly get off his first read. He could end up being the best of the class, but I doubt it.

Oh he certainly needs a lot of work but I'd probably have him learn on the job if for no other reason than you want to see as much tape on him before you have to decide whether to take a QB in 2018.

On the one hand it sucks for him because he probably really should shit and learn for a year or two but on the other hand the Browns have so many picks that I think they should probably take another QB next year if they aren't convinced about Kizer.

You could do a low worse than having Darnold and Kizer locked up for 4 years together starting next year.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'm sure this story makes everyone feel better about drafting Trubisky, but just because the Browns really wanted him, it doesn't mean the Bears did good. It really has no bearing on CHI drafting Trubisky.

Now, it does add credence that teams wanted Trubisky at 2 and CHI was wise to trade up. But imo, I don't care about the trade. What's important is the player, not the draft 'value'.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Eh not even sure he adds any credence at all. Sounds like it was the owner who wanted Trubiksy. The GM basically convinced him they should take Garrett on the basis he would trade up for Trubiksy. The GM then made a lukewarm attempt to trade up to 2 not really thinking the Bears would take Trubiksy.

The GM now has the excuse that no one expected the Bears to take him and instead he was going to trade to up to 5. Owner is pissed but he'll get over it considering all the players and picks they acquired.

Could not have worked out better for the GM if you ask me. Probably explains Schefters report about the Browns taking Trubiksy 1. GM probably was working overtime trying to convince the Jerry Jones wannabe that Garrett was the right pick.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
49ers may have had one of the worst drafts. I have never liked Thomas as I think he is too much of a tweener. Not worth that high of a draft pick for me. This draft comes down to Foster succeeding for the 49ers and he has a bum shoulder.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh not even sure he adds any credence at all. Sounds like it was the owner who wanted Trubiksy. The GM basically convinced him they should take Garrett on the basis he would trade up for Trubiksy. The GM then made a lukewarm attempt to trade up to 2 not really thinking the Bears would take Trubiksy.

The GM now has the excuse that no one expected the Bears to take him and instead he was going to trade to up to 5. Owner is pissed but he'll get over it considering all the players and picks they acquired.

Could not have worked out better for the GM if you ask me. Probably explains Schefters report about the Browns taking Trubiksy 1. GM probably was working overtime trying to convince the Jerry Jones wannabe that Garrett was the right pick.

This...its just a hunch, and I am glad we got Trubisky. Its over. I'm over it, but I feel when it came down to it, the offer wasn't strong enough for the 49ers to take, and at the end of the day, while the Browns were subjected to a job well done subterfuge and Glennon smoke screen by Pace, seemed to really confuse everyone.

Pace did good, I felt he could have done better. His job was on the line, and he took no chances. We were not in position for him to take chances, our desperation forced the hand a bit, and the price wasn't all that much for a QB given the other options were a shoulderitis D-line or a safety or a RB not as good as the one we have, and probably more injury prone.

I just really doubt anybody was actually going to pay a fair price to go to 2 that wanted Trubisky. Thats why they hung up and called the Bears back.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a lot more to the story...

And you all know what I think of Pace's moves these last few years. Some of the dumbest rookie GM mistakes I've ever witnessed.

But if anyone (*cough* Remy *cough*) doesn't understand that not only did Pace put one over on the 49ers, but also completely fucked what the Browns were trying to do, you don't have a fucking clue.

Bet you some other teams were caught on that hook too. Not that we'll ever hear about it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

And you all know what I think of Pace's moves these last few years. Some of the dumbest rookie GM mistakes I've ever witnessed.

But if anyone (*cough* Remy *cough*) doesn't understand that not only did Pace put one over on the 49ers, but also completely fucked what the Browns were trying to do, you don't have a fucking clue.

I missed this until Botfly quoted it. The emo is strong in you isn't it? You cry when I talk about the trade and then when i ignore talking about it you are still crying about me.

Now if I responded to this stupidity above suddenly it's my fault. Amusing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This...its just a hunch, and I am glad we got Trubisky. Its over. I'm over it, but I feel when it came down to it, the offer wasn't strong enough for the 49ers to take, and at the end of the day, while the Browns were subjected to a job well done subterfuge and Glennon smoke screen by Pace, seemed to really confuse everyone.

Pace did good, I felt he could have done better. His job was on the line, and he took no chances. We were not in position for him to take chances, our desperation forced the hand a bit, and the price wasn't all that much for a QB given the other options were a shoulderitis D-line or a safety or a RB not as good as the one we have, and probably more injury prone.

I just really doubt anybody was actually going to pay a fair price to go to 2 that wanted Trubisky. Thats why they hung up and called the Bears back.

Dont let the lemmings see this. The Browns GM apparently had his owner on his ass and clearly had the ammo to make a deal if he wanted. Yet with all that pressure, no deal was made.

Maybe that's because Pace fooled him. Or maybe it's because he had no real desire to trade to 2 but just had to feign interest to appease the owner. He probably said a silent thank you when the Bears drafted Trubiksy and let him off the hook.

Because let's be honest, if he really loved Trubiksy and had his boss on his ass, he offers two first round picks in addition to 12 and calls it a day. Instead he was content to basically wait until pick 5 because if Trubiksy had lasted that long then he would be forced to make a deal to jump in front of the Jets as he probably couldn't sell to Haslem that the Jets had no interest in a QB like he could sell the Bears, Jags and Titans having no interest.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
small3211970.gif~c200

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

Pace put nothing over on the Niners. Niners got more than was warranted for swapping #2 and #3 picks. They were going defense regardless. I don't believe anyone put anything over on the Browns either. Again, this bogus report is all hearsay, not a single quote from Haslem. If I'm Haslem and know the team is taking Garret with the first pick, I'd know there's a chance that means having to pass on Trubisky. If he was as in love with Trubisky as this funny story states why not just give the order to draft him with the first pick? Moving up from 12 to 2 would be extremely costly and I think that's why the Browns didn't attempt it. It seems like they were, at least somewhat, divided on which QB to draft anyway. Likely felt it was quite possible for Trubs to fall as Watson did and even if he didn't Mahomes would be available... but then KC made the decision right before the draft to make a big move for Mahomes.

In truth, there wasn't much NFL potential separating the top 3 or even 4 QBs in that draft so if you landed one of them you did good.

Last edited:

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
Like I said draft day you can accumulate all the picks in the world but it doesn't mean shit if you don't get a franchise qb.

Well they did get Kizer ...

ditka4life

Liked Posts:

I think the reports were that the 49ers didn't want the 12th pick and wanted the 5th pick from the Titans.
Perhaps it was too many moving parts to accomplish.
The Browns should have offered at least 2 number 1s to the 49ers (same as the Wentz deal) - I guess they tried to go the cheap route and stay at 5 with the Titans trade.

But I guarantee that if Lynch told Sashi or Haslim that Pace was taking TRubisky, Haslim would have agree to the 3 first rounders.
Never underestimate crazy owners like Haslim, Snyder, etc. willing to send 3 first rounders to get their Franchise QB.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
The good news for us is that the Browns suck and are forever cursed...them passing up on a franchise QB automatically means that player will be Hall of Fame worthy!