Trubisky Was The Only QB The Bears Were Prepared To Draft

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
His writing is sorta vague. I could read that to mean they weren't going to take a QB other than MT in the first, as there was no close second. I find it hard to believe there weren't guys that they valued later.

He has said that you should draft a QB in every draft..

With that, assuming the top 3 still all went in the first round, the only other QB out of the 10 drafted that I would take a flyer on is Webb.

Who the 49ers ended up with, if you ask me, is something I would have roast Pace for.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It is kinda vague. I think Trubisky, despite his limited tape shows better mechanics than the others. I don't know if that means he'll be a success, but he seems to have the physical talent and he could end up being a good leader. He's still immature, like the majority of juniors. I do believe this was their guy, because they don't anticipate being in the top 5 anytime soon. I hate to use Angelo terms, but I think he has a high floor - we'll see what the ceiling is.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Quote Originally Posted by run and shoot View Post
if pace only targeted trubs, then he's not very smart and a poor Qb evaluator

Why do you say that? I think just the opposite. I think he is very intelligent that he identified that only Mitch was worth the pick, and made sure he got him. I have been saying for months that Watson's talent is on par with Davis Webb's. Mahomes is such a project he will take a long time to learn to play the position in the Pros, and I don't think he will ever fix his mechanics. I think Trubisky is the only one that is going to be a franchise QB. Peterman might have some success, like Brian Hoyer. He does every thing right but doesn't have the arm strength(although stronger then Watsons) to make all the NFL throws. Kizer is the only wildcard, he has the talent but doesn't seem to 'buy in' to the program. If he changes his attitude I think he could be a starter.

Not trying to take a thing away from Watson, the man won a NC and went to 2. H e did some amazing things in college no doubt. My point is:

1 - Yes Watson has a better resume, but when you compare both players first full year as a starter, they are very similar.
2 - this idea of Watson is a winner in college so he will win in the NFL is garbage. Their is NO corolation from wins in college to wins in the pros, their just isn't. their is also no corolation between big stats in college and big stats in the pros. Each player must be looked at in a vacuum.

I actually thing both QBs maybe good to great in college, but with where we are and. What O we run, MT was the right pick.

Couldn't of said it better myself. The only thing I would change is the bolded. I think you should of replaced we for the NFL.

run and shoot;2768772 said:
]trubs and Watson are from 'spread offense'. Fact. Both were 1read "O". Fact. Watson produced more yds. and Td's. Fact

now.......

satchice.....please explain the NFL comment. Please be very specific about why you would change what CNiel36 said.

lets deal with the above first

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who gives a fuck about what Pace could've, should've, would've done? It is done!!

Mitch is a Bear. Pace was aggressive and got his guy. Whether or not Trubs succeeds is the issue now. The rest is just noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I actually really like it. I think picking someone you know won't amount to anything more than a backup like Kaaya or Peterman is a waste of a pick.

I don't agree that in this draft there was only 1 QB worth an investment but I don't have half the resources he does to evaluate them.

I would probably be more upset had we not landed Mitch and heard once again that Pace tried but couldn't land his guy.

It would be just like the rumors of him trying to trade up for Mariota and Wentz on here where nobody believed he actually tried and think it was more just GM talk.

Luke

Liked Posts:
"1. Why the Bears went in on Mitch Trubisky. Do I think the Bears overpaid to move up one spot? Yes, I do. The old Jimmy Johnson draft-pick value chart says so, too—the second pick is worth 2,600 points, while the haul the Bears sent to the Niners (3, 67, 111 this year, and a third-rounder next year) is worth 2,715—and it’s not as if San Francisco was overcome with offers."

I've been following drafts forever but can someone tell me the actual value of a future pick. I have been under the impression that it was the middle (16th) pick of a round later - for example next years 3rd rounder would really equate to the 112th(96+16) pick or 70 points. His accumulation seems off as he is giving the value of this years 80 pick.

3 - 2200
67 - 255
111 - 72
total 2527

2715 - 2527 = 188 or about 80

if you use the value for 112 (70) the total amounts to 2597 which is exactly in line.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
It is really amazing what some people are bitching about.

Pace is right, you don't want a limited skill set QB

You can work around limited skill set for position players. This is what the bottom half of the draft is all about.

But you can't do this for your starting QB.

They paid Glennon so they wouldn't have to be desperate in the draft.

It was a weak QB draft past Trubisky. Pace knew this. That is why he traded up.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
this reminds of the time Mark Hatley was going to draft Plaxico Burress but the Steelers got him so Hatley settled for Urlacher.....Hatley caught hell for it after a year......makes no sense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can anyone imagine if Pace had drafted CJ Beathard in the 3rd round and tried to sell the fans?

Glennon
Beathard
Sanchez

I much prefer the situation the Bears are in right now.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can anyone imagine if Pace had drafted CJ Beathard in the 3rd round and tried to sell the fans?

Glennon
Beathard
Sanchez

I much prefer the situation the Bears are in right now.

Thanks for putting THAT in my head... I fully believe a couple of past GM's might have done that.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Ten days after the draft, and he got the guy he wanted, and you're still arguing "take any QB just to take a QB"?

Is this not moot at this point?
It certainly isn't mute though.

napo55

Liked Posts:
"1. Why the Bears went in on Mitch Trubisky. Do I think the Bears overpaid to move up one spot? Yes, I do. The old Jimmy Johnson draft-pick value chart says so, too—the second pick is worth 2,600 points, while the haul the Bears sent to the Niners (3, 67, 111 this year, and a third-rounder next year) is worth 2,715—and it’s not as if San Francisco was overcome with offers."

I've been following drafts forever but can someone tell me the actual value of a future pick. I have been under the impression that it was the middle (16th) pick of a round later - for example next years 3rd rounder would really equate to the 112th(96+16) pick or 70 points. His accumulation seems off as he is giving the value of this years 80 pick.

3 - 2200
67 - 255
111 - 72
total 2527

2715 - 2527 = 188 or about 80

if you use the value for 112 (70) the total amounts to 2597 which is exactly in line.

You do understand that these charts are artificial constructs that have no basis in reality? As a practical matter, as has been said over and over, if Trubisky becomes a good QB, then the trade was a slam dunk success. If he fails, the trade was a disaster. So how about waiting to see how he actually plays. He was the top rated QB in the draft, but that is the past and no longer matters. All that matters now is what kind of QB he is in the NFL.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is really amazing what some people are bitching about.

Pace is right, you don't want a limited skill set QB

You can work around limited skill set for position players. This is what the bottom half of the draft is all about.

But you can't do this for your starting QB.

They paid Glennon so they wouldn't have to be desperate in the draft.

It was a weak QB draft past Trubisky. Pace knew this. That is why he traded up.

And that is what is so fucked up with Pace's thinking. Glennon should have made them desperate in that draft. He sucks and was a total waste of money. Trubisky was part of a weak QB draft not excluded from it. He's a total crap shoot. THe fact that he traded up to get him only further confirms his questionable decision as the Bear's GM. Also Trubisky has his own "limited skill set". He is 8-5 as a starting quarterback. Doesn't go through route progressions any better than average and doesn't throw the deep ball very well due to being off balance on his longer throws.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think there's some truth about his driving the ball. It's just hard to say - I think he's well above average with seeing the field and progressions for a guy coming out early. He seems to have good instincts and if he can learn to set himself better, he may improve on deep throws.

Let's be honest, it's a roll of the dice. The Bears got a good kid with physical ability. UNC wasn't very good overall.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I find it strange that some ppl. feel this draft is weak vs 2018. None of the 2017 Qb's have played yet, but they're "weak".

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Meh. Just more of this over Trubs.
sour_grapes.jpg

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As a compromise when they are erecting the statue of Mitch Trubisky at Halas Hall in 2035 I will demand that if be 6" shorter than planned, out of respect for the 2x 3rd round picks that were wasted.

laputan

Liked Posts:
As a compromise when they are erecting the statue of Mitch Trubisky at Halas Hall in 2035 I will demand that if be 6" shorter than planned, out of respect for the 2x 3rd round picks that were wasted.

One day you'll look back on this post and laugh while visiting the newly unveiled Mike Glennon "Legend" statue with your teenagers

glennon-field.jpg