Trubisky Was The Only QB The Bears Were Prepared To Draft

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As a compromise when they are erecting the statue of Mitch Trubisky at Halas Hall in 2035 I will demand that if be 6" shorter than planned, out of respect for the 2x 3rd round picks that were wasted.

Bears ownership ain't footing the bill for it! Your compromise is "Blowin in the Windy"!!

Liked Posts:
I trust that Paces knows what he's doing. The guy was a Scout for a long time. He drafted & had input in a lot of good players getting drafted.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
The thing with Pace is he drafts BPA and thinks (and to a degree has somewhat proven) he is a master scout. Put these two together and the only time a QB will be BPA is if he picks top 3 in the draft. Other than that, chances are, Pace will have someone else rated higher. Good and well-thought of QBs don't fall. Some team will prize the good ones and overpay for them. We were one of those teams this year, but at least we didn't give up what Houston did this offseason to trade Watson for Osweiler and the ransom that KC paid to overdraft Mahomes..

Legaeveth

Liked Posts:
When you need a QB and there is one in the draft who you think is better then what you have on the team currently you go after them. That is exactly when you use BPA for the most important position in the game. Glennon was never going to b the answer he has had a few years to prove otherwise. He was always going to be a temporary fix.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The thing with Pace is he drafts BPA and thinks (and to a degree has somewhat proven) he is a master scout. Put these two together and the only time a QB will be BPA is if he picks top 3 in the draft. Other than that, chances are, Pace will have someone else rated higher. Good and well-thought of QBs don't fall. Some team will prize the good ones and overpay for them. We were one of those teams this year, but at least we didn't give up what Houston did this offseason to trade Watson for Osweiler and the ransom that KC paid to overdraft Mahomes..

HA, that is a good point! Houston gave up.... Osweiler + 1st rd 2017 + 1st rd 2018 + 2nd rd 2018. That is more then we gave up for Jay who at the time was a young Pro Bowl QB.

Eagles got Carson Wentz and a 4th rd pick for
1st rd '16
1st rd '17
2nd rd '18
3rd rd '16
4th rd '16
Kiko Alonso
Byron Maxwell

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
"1. Why the Bears went in on Mitch Trubisky. Do I think the Bears overpaid to move up one spot? Yes, I do. The old Jimmy Johnson draft-pick value chart says so, too—the second pick is worth 2,600 points, while the haul the Bears sent to the Niners (3, 67, 111 this year, and a third-rounder next year) is worth 2,715—and it’s not as if San Francisco was overcome with offers."

I've been following drafts forever but can someone tell me the actual value of a future pick. I have been under the impression that it was the middle (16th) pick of a round later - for example next years 3rd rounder would really equate to the 112th(96+16) pick or 70 points. His accumulation seems off as he is giving the value of this years 80 pick.

3 - 2200
67 - 255
111 - 72
total 2527

2715 - 2527 = 188 or about 80

if you use the value for 112 (70) the total amounts to 2597 which is exactly in line.

yes future picks are worth 1 round lower then current picks. and a lot of teams just use #16 to get a ballpark. Now obviously you wont know what the pick is actually worth until next year and if the team has been notoriously bad teams might take that into consideration as well when applying a future value to the pic.

But the most the Bears could "over pay" is 39 points.. pretty small point value to guarantee you get your QB

the interesting thing was what Pace first offered the 49ers was a pretty low ball offer considering it was just 2-3rd rounders..

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Get your guy.

I would hate to be evaluating Pace based on his 2nd or 3rd choice of QB.