Here is my problem with the Trubisky pick ......... LEADERSHIP

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Guys will follow a QB that doesn't suck.

Being a leader of a football team while playing QB is incredibly easy. All you have to do is not suck at your job. Literally the one requirement.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think it is really hard to judge the character of a 22 year old just coming into the NFL. These kids have had people kissing their butt since they were under 10 years old in most cases. And now comes yet an even bigger test, getting handed money putting them into the top 1% earners at such a young age. Suddenly money is no object.

I do remember Pace telling Trubisky to make sure he drives that old car he has to Chicago. Maybe Trubisky in fact is not as babied as some driving around in that thing. Maybe he will prove to be a great leader. Maybe he will just be a party animal. I don't know. But I have seen party animals grow up to be great leaders, and I have seen the most serious kids in the world turn into drug addicts. I think it is WAY to early to know this about Trubisky.

You also have to consider that he wasn't handed everything when he got to college. I believe that he learned a bit of humility not playing 3 years in college. Of course, if and when he becomes a successful NFL QB, we don't really know where his character will lead him.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You also have to consider that he wasn't handed everything when he got to college. I believe that he learned a bit of humility not playing 3 years in college. Of course, if and when he becomes a successful NFL QB, we don't really know where his character will lead him.

Agreed all around.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
We already have a leader at QB:

giraffe1.gif

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
No one is jumping on him for what his friends thought. We are commenting on the leaps of logic he made as a result. Great his friends don't believe in him as a leader. Ok he offered no reasons for that opinion. Further not sure what that has to do with Cutler as there is nothing in what his friends said that leads one to jump to he's like Cutler.

I went to UNC, share season tickets with a few buddies and thry all believe in him as a leader. In the end none of it matters as.all that matters is whether his Bears teammates believe in him it not and that's unknowable right now.

And this is from a die hard Watson fan.
What did you see in him, both positive and negative, when he was there?

Though it doesn't matter going forward, it would be interesting to hear what someone who was of a fan of the team says about him.

As an example, since many Bears fans are Notre Dame fans, most every player coming out is the best player ever in their eyes. This type of talk I ignore because it is just the cool aid talk. However; when a fan says both good and bad things about a player, I tend to listen just because he saw that player for several years and formed his own opinion. If said fan actually goes to the school, he may have had personal contact with the player and may have inside information about him.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Everything I heard was that his teammates trusted him and respected him. Good enough for me.

I also heard that the team wanted him to start the year before he started but the coach kept the other QB as starting QB for political reasons. That vote of confidence sure sounds like he had won the teams respect even while not starting. His play would in 2016 would have sealed the deal for him being the leader of the team.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
One poster did.

Which poster? As far as I can tell, people were questioning the Cutler comparison which is something his friends never said. I also saw another poster say his friends opinions don't matter because they don't play on the Bears which is a fair point.

So no I don't see anyone jumping on the poster. I see people questioning the relevance of his friend's opinion and a faulty comparison to Cutler his friends never made.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I also heard that the team wanted him to start the year before he started but the coach kept the other QB as starting QB for political reasons. That vote of confidence sure sounds like he had won the teams respect even while not starting. His play would in 2016 would have sealed the deal for him being the leader of the team.

It wasn't the team. It was the WRs and only the WRs still on the team because they were asked during the 2016 season about 2015. So basically the guys that still had to catch passes from him backed him at a time when Marquise Williams was no longer on the team so I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

And it wasn't really politics so much as Williams was the incumbent and played well enough that there was no reason for him to lose his job.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The physical tools report on Trubs is positive. But I went to college in the state of Carolina and I still have many friends down there and all report that YES he has all the tools (except the accurate deep throw) and NO they don't believe in him as a leader. I have also heard many Scouts say the same thing.

QUIET guy by nature and not a galvanizing leader of men according to Scouts. Sound familiar?? Reminds me a little bit of Cutler that way. With so many dynamic leaders and Alfa dog quarterbacks on the board, to pick a quiet guy with questionable leadership skills is troubling. I hope I am wrong and I hope that Trubisky becomes the next great QB in the NFL but I have my doubts. The Bears needed a Jim McMahon type and instead it seems like we got more of the same.

Is there any highlight reels of him not leading?? If not then i just can't believe it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Is it leadership he didnt try to start sooner which would divide the team? Or is that a beta not taking charge type player?

being only a one year starter I dont think he could dent team leadership.

Honestly didnt pay attention to him as much as Watson cause I liked Watson more but Im sure as he proved himself to the team during the year the more teammates looked to him for leadership. I just dont see a player becoming a leader day one until one proves themselves first

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Is there any highlight reels of him not leading?? If not then i just can't believe it.
I know this video is from 2009 but Trubisky is nowhere to be seen near the front of the line, clearly not a leader.[video=youtube_share;YA2NAdtwkkY]https://youtu.be/YA2NAdtwkkY[/video]

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The physical tools report on Trubs is positive. But I went to college in the state of Carolina and I still have many friends down there and all report that YES he has all the tools (except the accurate deep throw) and NO they don't believe in him as a leader. I have also heard many Scouts say the same thing.

QUIET guy by nature and not a galvanizing leader of men according to Scouts. Sound familiar?? Reminds me a little bit of Cutler that way. With so many dynamic leaders and Alfa dog quarterbacks on the board, to pick a quiet guy with questionable leadership skills is troubling. I hope I am wrong and I hope that Trubisky becomes the next great QB in the NFL but I have my doubts. The Bears needed a Jim McMahon type and instead it seems like we got more of the same.

This is bullshit.

I'll keep repeating myself over and over. I was not a fan of Trubisky before January. I don't like Johnny Come Lately type of players. I hate guys that arrive on the hype train from almost no where. Typically it's a result of a good game on National TV that a lot of people saw or three games.

So I went into evaluating Trubisky in January expecting to be underwhelmed and disgusted by the hype. Instead the complete opposite happened on all levels with this kid. I went from Trubisky being a kid I was extremely skeptical of to being my second favorite QB in this draft behind Watson.

Watson and Trubisky are very similar as prospects​ the differences​ being Watson has more experience and turns the ball over and Trubisky has less experience but turns the ball over far less.

Trubisky has plenty of leadership skills his play on the field exudes leadership.

Where as Cutler blamed the Bears for not having enough talent around him not even a week into his new analyst job and shoving teammates and cussing out coordinators​ for his own failure, there was never any blame towards teammates when they failed Trubisky.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
if he leads from behind 55% of Chicago will stand behind him....err....in front of him

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Leadership is a myth. An intangible, immeasurable made up characteristic used to explain the tangible. If he's accurate and doesn't turn the ball over- his teammates will like him plenty.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I know this video is from 2009 but Trubisky is nowhere to be seen near the front of the line, clearly not a leader.[video=youtube_share;YA2NAdtwkkY]https://youtu.be/YA2NAdtwkkY[/video]

great find! who cares that MT was sill a freshman in high school. a REAL leader would of been there anyway!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What did you see in him, both positive and negative, when he was there?

Though it doesn't matter going forward, it would be interesting to hear what someone who was of a fan of the team says about him.

As an example, since many Bears fans are Notre Dame fans, most every player coming out is the best player ever in their eyes. This type of talk I ignore because it is just the cool aid talk. However; when a fan says both good and bad things about a player, I tend to listen just because he saw that player for several years and formed his own opinion. If said fan actually goes to the school, he may have had personal contact with the player and may have inside information about him.

I saw a good and very accurate QB whose inexperienced showed at times in big moments. Part of the reason why I had Watson ahead of him. However, I don't think you can say he can't be a good leader. All you can say is that relative to a guy like Watson, there was less evidence of that leadership. Just like relative to Trubisky, Watson was less accurate.

At the end of the day, what will matter is who can improve on their perceived flaws and maintain their strengths as they transition to the NFL.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leadership is a myth. An intangible, immeasurable made up characteristic used to explain the tangible. If he's accurate and doesn't turn the ball over- his teammates will like him plenty.

Just because something is intangible and not measurable doesn't mean it's a myth. Various psychological studies prove that leadership is in fact a real trait so it's kind of silly to pretend it somehow exists in other fields like the workplace or politics but not in sports.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
so it's kind of silly to pretend it somehow exists in other fields like the workplace or politics but not in sports.

Where was that implied in what I wrote?

Let's see the studies that 'prove the existence of leadership'.