Here is my problem with the Trubisky pick ......... LEADERSHIP

Jawbreaker

Liked Posts:
I'm hearing the same things, even from his coaching staff at UNC. Sounds like his quiet demeanor played into why he didn't take over there sooner. He didn't have that huge outspoken inspiring leadership edge yet.

That said, he's NOT a polarizing personality like Cutler. Really?

Hopefully with enough time to really win people over with great play, he will be confident enough to be a leader of men. I do worry that will bust IF put into action before he truly feels and shows that comfort command of the O & edge with the boys.

As said, could be like a Matt Ryan or Eli Manning? or more? TBD.

Competence breeds confidence. Not often the opposite direction.

Good level headed post here. Perhaps I was being overly broad by lumping him in with Cutler -- lumping the 2 quiet guys in together. That said, the signs of the lack of leadership in Trubs are pretty rampant. When it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.... you get my point. And when I say, a "Jim McMahon" type... make no mistake, his men loved him! That O'line would have run through a brick wall for that guy. And yes, he is a Super Bowl Champion.

With enough talent around him, maybe a guy like Trubisky could skate through on mediocre leadership ability. But the cup is bare. We needed someone DYNAMIC enough to command excellence and get the most out this band of free agents, castoffs, and scrap heap players that make up this Bears team. Is Trubs that guy?? We shall see... but if we judge by track record, then that answer would be "no".

As I initially said, I hope that I am wrong.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm hearing the same things, even from his coaching staff at UNC. Sounds like his quiet demeanor played into why he didn't take over there sooner. He didn't have that huge outspoken inspiring leadership edge yet.

That said, he's NOT a polarizing personality like Cutler. Really?

Hopefully with enough time to really win people over with great play, he will be confident enough to be a leader of men. I do worry that will bust IF put into action before he truly feels and shows that comfort command of the O & edge with the boys.

As said, could be like a Matt Ryan or Eli Manning? or more? TBD.

Competence breeds confidence. Not often the opposite direction.
I'll take the Matt Ryan version. The Eli Manning version requires a killer defense and a lot of luck... and more of those interceptions we've seen far too many of during the Cutler era.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It all depends on how he performs on the field. Thats all that matters. Do you look at Eli Manning and think vocal, alpha dog leader? No you think even keeled, calm under pressure. If Trubisky is the same, a calming presence when the lights are brightest he will be fine. If he is quiet and shrinks under pressure he will fail. Same thing goes with the loudest, vocal alpha qb in the world.

Although I despise eli manning and his dopey face.... solid point.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It's professional football. If Josh Bellamy needs Mitchell Trubisky to be a leader to catch a football, then Bellamy has bigger problems.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the OP, I always get a little laugh when people bring up Jim McMahon. The guy had arguably one of the top 5 RBs, ever, to hand off to and, arguably, one of the top 5 defenses, ever, on the other side of the ball. Rex Grossman or Jay Cutler would have easily one Super Bowls with that supporting cast. One could argue that if Ditka valued, or evaluated, the QB position correctly the Bears might have won multiple SBs. Jim M. was a sunglasses wearing, fragile, over-rated (by a few) jerk.

This "Alpha Male/Dog" BS is just that. There are a ton of successful players, leaders, who aren't vocal. There are also a lot of players who are very vocal who most would like to see STFU. Eli Manning is a perfect example. Matt Ryan is another. It is way too early to judge Trubisky. McMahon on the other hand is a horrible example of anything you want your QB to be.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good level headed post here. Perhaps I was being overly broad by lumping him in with Cutler -- lumping the 2 quiet guys in together. That said, the signs of the lack of leadership in Trubs are pretty rampant. When it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.... you get my point. And when I say, a "Jim McMahon" type... make no mistake, his men loved him! That O'line would have run through a brick wall for that guy. And yes, he is a Super Bowl Champion.

With enough talent around him, maybe a guy like Trubisky could skate through on mediocre leadership ability. But the cup is bare. We needed someone DYNAMIC enough to command excellence and get the most out this band of free agents, castoffs, and scrap heap players that make up this Bears team. Is Trubs that guy?? We shall see... but if we judge by track record, then that answer would be "no".

As I initially said, I hope that I am wrong.

Kyle Long fucking loves Cutler. What'd that get you?

Anyways, it must be the offseason because we have a 6 page thread bitching bout a guy's leadership when he's never taken a snap for the Bears. :bizarro:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Serious question: How important is leadership in to a QB? I could see how it is important to a High school or even a NCAA QB, but I don’t think it is nearly as important to an NFL QB playing with professional athletes.

I don’t think anyone thinks Aaron Rodgers is a great leader, but he does elevate his teammates play with his skills. Ben Roethlisberger has also been called out by teammates for being a poor leader, but he elevates his team because of his skillset and he gives the Steelers a chance to win any game.

Drew Brees is probably one of the best leaders, but I think his success is due to his skills and the play calling. Russell Wilson is clearly a great leader, but it is the Seahawks D and running game that made them successful. Josh McCown and Charlie Batch are two of the best leaders and neither of them had much success in the NFL because of their skills.

Leadership in the pros is probably the only thing I value less then arm strength. Being an asshole or having a weak arm would affect someone tremendously, but the difference of a quiet guy an a vocal guy is minimal like the difference between a guy with good arm strength to a guy with great arm strength.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
There's enough meatballs in this thread to open an Italian restaurant in Chicago...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Serious question: How important is leadership in to a QB? I could see how it is important to a High school or even a NCAA QB, but I don’t think it is nearly as important to an NFL QB playing with professional athletes.

I don’t think anyone thinks Aaron Rodgers is a great leader, but he does elevate his teammates play with his skills. Ben Roethlisberger has also been called out by teammates for being a poor leader, but he elevates his team because of his skillset and he gives the Steelers a chance to win any game.

Drew Brees is probably one of the best leaders, but I think his success is due to his skills and the play calling. Russell Wilson is clearly a great leader, but it is the Seahawks D and running game that made them successful. Josh McCown and Charlie Batch are two of the best leaders and neither of them had much success in the NFL because of their skills.

Leadership in the pros is probably the only thing I value less then arm strength. Being an asshole or having a weak arm would affect someone tremendously, but the difference of a quiet guy an a vocal guy is minimal like the difference between a guy with good arm strength to a guy with great arm strength.

Some WR drafted in the 4th round doesn't care about leadership when he's in his contract year. He wants the QB to be able to throw him the ball so he can make plays to get paid.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Some WR drafted in the 4th round doesn't care about leadership when he's in his contract year. He wants the QB to be able to throw him the ball so he can make plays to get paid.

This is exactly my point, with the size of NFL contracts and every player playing for his next contract I don't think they give a crap about leadership! If it was me I would want the best player playing at every position so we maximize our stats and wins. I see in HS and college a leader is a good thing to get some guys motivated to give 100% on ever drive, because a lot of those guys have no plans of playing football on the next level and there is not much incentive.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
This is exactly my point, with the size of NFL contracts and every player playing for his next contract I don't think they give a crap about leadership! If it was me I would want the best player playing at every position so we maximize our stats and wins. I see in HS and college a leader is a good thing to get some guys motivated to give 100% on ever drive, because a lot of those guys have no plans of playing football on the next level and there is not much incentive.

Different sport, but here's a HOF coach talking about motivation for his players:
[video=youtube;Vd_yftM6T0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd_yftM6T0g[/video]

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This is an oversimplification. A better leader prevents a guy like Lance Briggs or Brandon Marshall from destroying the locker room after Lovie was fired and Urlacher left.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's professional football. If Josh Bellamy needs Mitchell Trubisky to be a leader to catch a football, then Bellamy has bigger problems.

[video=youtube;ZSRs3g2AnxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSRs3g2AnxA[/video]
Bellamy has problems alright, no amount of leadership will help him.

Jawbreaker

Liked Posts:
This is an oversimplification. A better leader prevents a guy like Lance Briggs or Brandon Marshall from destroying the locker room after Lovie was fired and Urlacher left.

Great point. And WE ALL feel it when we go into work every day. We do our jobs because that is what we are paid to do -- but when we work for someone that who we truly believe in, someone who truly inspires us, even if is unconscious, we give that little something extra. And in the pros, that little something extra can be the difference between winning and losing.

Regardless of contracts, these are human beings. I don't care how old you are, a human being is never too old to be inspired.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
An alcoholic that spent more time on David Letterman than actually playing quarterback???

Pass.

Jim McMahon was the best we ever had.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

In you example Briggs and Marshall "destroyed" the locker room because of a season which had the team losing back to back games by 50 points The Bears ended the season 5–11, their first losing season since 2009 and first season with more than ten losses since 2004. I think the coaching and the players talent was the problem. Do you think if we had a great leader like Jamal Adams on the team players like Marshall would finish with his worst season and stay positive? Would Lance Briggs play in his contract year on the worst defense in the league would be okay as long as Adams had a few nice words to say in the locker room? I think in 2014 if they had better players and coaches there wouldn't of been a locker room issue, regardless if there is a leader or not.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Great point. And WE ALL feel it when we go into work every day. We do our jobs because that is what we are paid to do -- but when we work for someone that who we truly believe in, someone who truly inspires us, even if is unconscious, we give that little something extra. And in the pros, that little something extra can be the difference between winning and losing.

Regardless of contracts, these are human beings. I don't care how old you are, a human being is never too old to be inspired.

If you have a factory worker making an hourly wage then I am sure a great team lead could motivate his team to give more effort while they are working, instead of just going though the motions at a relaxed pace.

If you have a factory worker making piece time then they will work as fast as they can so their team makes the most money. They don't need anyone to motivate them because it is performance based already.

The NFL is a performance based business.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To the OP, I always get a little laugh when people bring up Jim McMahon. The guy had arguably one of the top 5 RBs, ever, to hand off to and, arguably, one of the top 5 defenses, ever, on the other side of the ball. Rex Grossman or Jay Cutler would have easily one Super Bowls with that supporting cast. One could argue that if Ditka valued, or evaluated, the QB position correctly the Bears might have won multiple SBs. Jim M. was a sunglasses wearing, fragile, over-rated (by a few) jerk.

This "Alpha Male/Dog" BS is just that. There are a ton of successful players, leaders, who aren't vocal. There are also a lot of players who are very vocal who most would like to see STFU. Eli Manning is a perfect example. Matt Ryan is another. It is way too early to judge Trubisky. McMahon on the other hand is a horrible example of anything you want your QB to be.

Nope. IF it weren't for the over-the-top intentional cheap shot by the Packer asshole lineman, the Bears would have won probably three Super Bowls in a row with Jimbo over center. He was a true leader and very good quarterback. I wish Ditka would have kicked Forrest Gregg all over the field after he had his goon cripple McMahon. The 86 Bears team was an even greater team than the '85 team and was clearly headed to another Super Bowl win.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope. IF it weren't for the over-the-top intentional cheap shot by the Packer asshole lineman, the Bears would have won probably three Super Bowls in a row with Jimbo over center. He was a true leader and very good quarterback. I wish Ditka would have kicked Forrest Gregg all over the field after he had his goon cripple McMahon. The 86 Bears team was an even greater team than the '85 team and was clearly headed to another Super Bowl win.

We can agree to disagree. I can think everyone can agree that the mid-80s Bears should have won more SBs. And someone, other than a single Packer, is to blame.