Liked Posts:
TE [4]

Dions Sims
Zach Miller
Adam Shaheen
Daniel Brown

Mycole Pruitt [PR]

Ben Brauckner

This is going to be the most fascinating camp battle of any positions that the Bears have. This group has a ton of young talent and no one has really established themselves. Sims is clearly making the team with 10 million guaranteed. I think he is a super under rated signing as a TE that can actually block gives you a lot of options on offense. Miller could be in jeopardy, but he is one of the more accomplished pass catchers on the team and is a great locker room guy so I see no issue with keeping. Shaheen needs reps so Miller may have to accept that he is going to lose some of his passes to the kid, which he seems like he would be a team guy about and maybe it allows Miller to stay healthier. Daniel Brown showed some stuff last season and Pace apparently has been chasing him for some time. 6'5" and catches the ball well, I would not want to lose that to keep a less talented WR or FB.

Pruitt has interested me since he came out of Illinois and last season. I think you can keep him on the PR and work him a little at FB.

Brauckner has the most limited size and did the least last season so I think he is in a ton of trouble.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
I think they should and will cut Miller to clear the space for 2nd round pick Shaheen and rather expensive FA acquisition Sims.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think they should and will cut Miller to clear the space for 2nd round pick Shaheen and rather expensive FA acquisition Sims.

It just does not save yo much money and he is a consistent pass catcher when healthy.

If you cut him and Shaheen struggles early you are really thin.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I think they keep 3 Sims, Miller and Shaheen.

I would think they want to some what limit Millers and rotate to keep him healthy, when healthy he is the best pass catcher of the 3 by far. Sims will get more snaps IMO than Miller, and Shaheen will spell both.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
It's not about Cap space, it's about development of young guys you just acquired via. FA & Draft, you want to give them play time which is key for their development, not some injury burdened veteran.

Bears ain't chasin Playoffs, it's all about building for the future, and Miller isn't part of it, Shaheen and Sims definitely are.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree that this will be one of the most interesting positions to follow this season outside of QB. Lot of potential but lot of unproven as well.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Windy, after analyzing this pick I am happier about Shaheen than a #2 WR. This gives the Bears several explosive 2 TE set options. If Shaheen can improve his run blocking, him and Sims can give Howard plenty of room to run and some great playaction looks.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shaheen's minutes will increase over the year due to his play and injuries to other TEs.....

Shaheen will be the most exciting to watch

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's not about Cap space, it's about development of young guys you just acquired via. FA & Draft, you want to give them play time which is key for their development, not some injury burdened veteran.

Bears ain't chasin Playoffs, it's all about building for the future, and Miller isn't part of it, Shaheen and Sims definitely are.

But you just said it was about cap space. You follow up provides more clarity but I presume Windy was responding to the bold.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Sims and Shaheen are set in stone, barring injury or woman beating.

Miller has a spot unless Shaheen comes out the gate dominating. Even then, if the Bears feel confident enough in Shaheen, Brown, Pruitt, and/or Braunecker....they might look to get a late pick for Miller.

Ultimately, I think they keep 4 TEs because of versatility. Pruitt was the starting FB the last 2 games of the year, despite Lasike also being on the roster. Only Sims of the other TEs looks to be able to double in the backfield.

Sims
Shaheen
Brown
Pruitt make it. Miller gets traded for a 6th round pick.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Personally I would keep 4 and ps 1 or 2....allows for a lot of interesting 2 te sets with guys who have various skill sets

Cutting Miller at this point is ridiculous until they see what they have in shaheen

Miller
Sims
Shaheen
Brown

Get rid of one of the 4-5 worthless young safties we have.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Windy, after analyzing this pick I am happier about Shaheen than a #2 WR. This gives the Bears several explosive 2 TE set options. If Shaheen can improve his run blocking, him and Sims can give Howard plenty of room to run and some great playaction looks.

He has more upside than any WR they were going to take.

I think they want to attack vertically in the seam like KC and NE. They are high percentage mismatch throws in terms of downfield attacking.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would like to transition over the course of the season to Shaheen. If you cut Miller there is no transition.

Weeks 1-6: Miller 70, Shaheen 30

Weeks 7-12: Miller 50, Shaheen 50

Weeks 13-17: Shaheen 70, Miller 30

Unless Shaheen goes full Gronk and steals the job.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
Miller and Sims are locks, Shaheen as well. Brown has talent, and Braunecker is intriguing g to me, but he's gotta bring it. It's gonna be very interesting to see how it all works out.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The guy played at a small program and was a beast. He is going into the NFL now. HE is going to need time to develop I think just like Cohen is.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

See, this is where guys like you and me part company. I want to win every game that I play every time I play it. Miller is the best pass catcher that the Bears have and I want him to catch a lot of passes. This shit about only playing young guys is crap. Play the best guys that you have.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
I would like to transition over the course of the season to Shaheen. If you cut Miller there is no transition.

Weeks 1-6: Miller 70, Shaheen 30

Weeks 7-12: Miller 50, Shaheen 50

Weeks 13-17: Shaheen 70, Miller 30

Unless Shaheen goes full Gronk and steals the job.

The problem is, you didn't include $6M per year Sims into that projection, and he's the key reason why Miller probably gets cut/traded prior to the season start.

Also 2 TE offense can only work if you have one dynamic TE on the field (someone like Engram from the past Draft), two bigger, somewhat slower TEs constantly on the field would make Bears offense predictable and inefficient (and none of Bears TEs, Miller, Sims, Shaheen, ain't exactly dynamic types).

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The problem is, you didn't include $6M per year Sims into that projection, and he's the key reason why Miller probably gets cut/traded prior to the season start.

Also 2 TE offense can only work if you have one dynamic TE on the field (someone like Engram from the past Draft), two bigger, somewhat slower TEs constantly on the field would make Bears offense predictable and inefficient (and none of Bears TEs, Miller, Sims, Shaheen, ain't exactly dynamic types).

He will be playing a totally different position.

It is not about finding a spot for all 3 at the same time.