1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If there was ever a thread that needed to be closed asap this is it

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The thing is that Lynch came from a broadcasting background (and playing in the nfl) not a scout background. If he screwed up the #2 pick then the "broadcasting GM" experiment will be very short lived. Best thing he could do is trade back as far as possible to get as many chances as possible. It increases his odds of getting some good players and takes away the pressure of absolutely having to hit a home run with such a high pick.
Bottom line is it seems lynch was WAY over his head here. He was planing on taking foster #3 for gods sake..
I think a lot of the "praise" he is getting is because he was a broadcaster. So his fellow broadcasters and media buddies are not throwing him under the bus.. time will tell if he can get better or not.

This draft only had one truly elite prospect really. It was deep but not necessarily top heavy so I suspect that is why the Niners wanted to trade down. And they were willing to trade 2 if Garrett was there because they thought they would be able to get an avalanche of picks. SF is not competing next year so makes more sense to acquire more picks than it does to take a guy at 2 especially if that guy is not Garrett.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
This draft only had one truly elite prospect really. It was deep but not necessarily top heavy so I suspect that is why the Niners wanted to trade down. And they were willing to trade 2 if Garrett was there because they thought they would be able to get an avalanche of picks. SF is not competing next year so makes more sense to acquire more picks than it does to take a guy at 2 especially if that guy is not Garrett.

except the point that Lynch was going to take foster at #3.. he was way over his head in this draft..

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
except the point that Lynch was going to take foster at #3.. he was way over his head in this draft..

Lynch being in over his head is separate from the fact that there wasn't an elite prospect in this draft besides Garrett. Both things can be true.

I think Lynch knew he was in over his head hence why it was Maranthe making all the calls and cutting all the deals and not Lynch. Contrast that with the fact that Maranthe was talking to Pace directly not Pace's underling. So it seems obvious that everyone knew Lynch was in over his head because from the King story, teams weren't calling Lynch, they were calling Maranthe so everyone knew Maranthe was the go to guy while Lynch learned the ropes.

So Maranthe being the point of contact is what I think proves Lynch was in over his head not the Foster thing. Overdrafting someone due to medicals or off the field stuff is quite common in the NFL because it's harder to predict how far other teams have dropped a player. Like I think the Raiders overdrafted Conley but not because they are in over their heads but because they didn't downgrade Conley as much as other teams likely did for the accused rape. So teams will naturally differ on that stuff IMO.

The only reason we know the Niners were even considering taking Foster at 3 is because Lynch was dumb enough or honest enough (depending on your take) to admit it. Otherwise, no one would have known. So there are probably several instances of this happening every draft by GMs across the spectrum of experience but we just don't hear about it. In the end though I don't think the Niners care about whether Foster can even play next year because they will suck next year anyways. I think they care whether he will be a stud during the time period they actually expect to compete.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Remember when all the media wonks thought Pace was taking Thomas when he traded up?

Man...they sure looked dumb

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That is absolutely true. It was a crap shoot after Garrett. I think that the 9ers did the correct thing in gathering more picks and waiting until next year for a qb. My guess is that they will make a big play next year for an experienced quarterback like Cousins. They should have the money for him and to build a team around him in the meantime.

ditka4life

Liked Posts:
Lynch being in over his head is separate from the fact that there wasn't an elite prospect in this draft besides Garrett. Both things can be true.

I think Lynch knew he was in over his head hence why it was Maranthe making all the calls and cutting all the deals and not Lynch. Contrast that with the fact that Maranthe was talking to Pace directly not Pace's underling. So it seems obvious that everyone knew Lynch was in over his head because from the King story, teams weren't calling Lynch, they were calling Maranthe so everyone knew Maranthe was the go to guy while Lynch learned the ropes.

So Maranthe being the point of contact is what I think proves Lynch was in over his head not the Foster thing. Overdrafting someone due to medicals or off the field stuff is quite common in the NFL because it's harder to predict how far other teams have dropped a player. Like I think the Raiders overdrafted Conley but not because they are in over their heads but because they didn't downgrade Conley as much as other teams likely did for the accused rape. So teams will naturally differ on that stuff IMO.

The only reason we know the Niners were even considering taking Foster at 3 is because Lynch was dumb enough or honest enough (depending on your take) to admit it. Otherwise, no one would have known. So there are probably several instances of this happening every draft by GMs across the spectrum of experience but we just don't hear about it. In the end though I don't think the Niners care about whether Foster can even play next year because they will suck next year anyways. I think they care whether he will be a stud during the time period they actually expect to compete.

Was 2 3rd rounders too much for Sashi Brown to give to the 49ers?????

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Was 2 3rd rounders too much for Sashi Brown to give to the 49ers?????

What the fuck are you talking about? The Browns were at 12 so there is no scenario where they could trade up with 2 3rd rounders. Do you understand how NFL trades work?

ditka4life

Liked Posts:
What the fuck are you talking about? The Browns were at 12 so there is no scenario where they could trade up with 2 3rd rounders. Do you understand how NFL trades work?

Sounds like sour grapes.
Or did Pace get fleeced out of his 2 3rd rounders?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
When will we start talking about samurai jack ?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sounds like sour grapes.
Or did Pace get fleeced out of his 2 3rd rounders?

Again I have no idea what you are trying to say. The Browns could not trade up with 2 3rd round picks because they had the 12th pick. The Bears could because they had the 2nd pick. What one gives up to trade up depends on how far you are trying to trade up.

And Pace did not get fleeced so again I have no idea what you are trying to say.

So what point are you trying to make. Think carefully and hard and try to string together 2 or 3 sentences that explains what you are tying to get at.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Again I have no idea what you are trying to say. The Browns could not trade up with 2 3rd round picks because they had the 12th pick. The Bears could because they had the 2nd pick. What one gives up to trade up depends on how far you are trying to trade up.

And Pace did not get fleeced so again I have no idea what you are trying to say.

So what point are you trying to make. Think carefully and hard and try to string together 2 or 3 sentences that explains what you are tying to get at.

I would be willing to bet that the 12th overall and 1st round next year would be more valuable than the 3rd and 2 3rd rounders

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would be willing to bet that the 12th overall and 1st round next year would be more valuable than the 3rd and 2 3rd rounders

Agreed particularly since the Browns are likely to be in the top 10 and probably top 5 again next year. As will the Niners so if the Browns did offer a 1st rounder then it seems pretty dumb for a team not competing this year to essentially pass up a chance for 2 top 5 picks next year and almost certainly 2 top 10 picks at worst.

Lynch would look like a fucking moron if it comes out that the Browns were offering a 1st rounder and the Niners are Browns are say drafting 1 and 2 again next year particularly when again outside of Garrett none of the guys this year are what I would call blue chip prospects.

I'm willing to bet that next year the draft is probably going to be a lot more top heavy than it was this year.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

I disagree with that. The difference between 12 and 2 is 1,400 points which is worth the 8th pick in the current year's draft. The same pick in next year's draft is not worth the same as this year's so you would probably have to assume Cleveland had a top 5 pick for it to be equal. Cleveland has a good chance to be that bad this year, but the NFL is not like baseball or basketball where bad teams are almost a given. Luck plays a much bigger factor in the NFL. Cleveland won't win the SB or probably even make the playoffs, but it's not out of the realm at all with some luck on injuries and their high draft picks this year playing well that they go 7-9 and have the 15th pick in the draft next year. I highly doubt teams are going to just blindly assume another team will have a top 5 pick. They are going to need more insurance.

San Fransisco would have needed compensation from this year's draft to drop out of the top 10. Most likely pick 33 which is 580 points and then next year's first.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Buffalo moved back from 10 to 27 with KC. Difference there was 620 points. They got pick 91 which was 136 points and then KC's 1st next year. If you go by the draft value chart, all Buffalo needed to make it equal was a pick in the mid 40s. Since the pick is next year, it was elevated to a first.

Cleveland moved back from 12 to 25 with Hou. Difference there was 480 points. They got Houston's 1st round pick next year. Again, that would be equal to a pick in the mid 40s. Elevated to a 1st in this case too since it is next year.

The draft value chart is just an estimate but it is still something to keep an eye on. Generally speaking, moving up in the 1st round is usually a higher premium ask for since the selling team is losing a prime opportunity at an elite prospect. When a team moves from 2 to 3, not much if anything is lost. It's hard teams picking much lower to compete with the team's offer at 3. Without a team in the top 5 looking to trade to 2, it drive down the price if the team at 2 is looking to trade down.

ditka4life

Liked Posts:

Here is what the Browns offered the 49ers:
"Applause to the Browns, for closing ranks in the first round and keeping alive the perception that they might trade from 12 to two to pick up North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. That, in part, forced the Bears, who wanted Trubisky badly, to deal from three to two and throw in a third draft choice to assure they’d get their man. The Browns at times have been a leaky sieve during drafts. Not this time" -- Peter King

So, what did the Browns offer the 49ers to keep alive the perception that they might trade up to 2 ?????
What did they offer Pace to trade up to 3 ?????????

Pace was ALWAYS going to trade up to 2 - so would Lynch have accepted 1 3rd rounder (if the Browns didn't trick the Bears per Peter King)?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I disagree with that. The difference between 12 and 2 is 1,400 points which is worth the 8th pick in the current year's draft. The same pick in next year's draft is not worth the same as this year's so you would probably have to assume Cleveland had a top 5 pick for it to be equal. Cleveland has a good chance to be that bad this year, but the NFL is not like baseball or basketball where bad teams are almost a given. Luck plays a much bigger factor in the NFL. Cleveland won't win the SB or probably even make the playoffs, but it's not out of the realm at all with some luck on injuries and their high draft picks this year playing well that they go 7-9 and have the 15th pick in the draft next year. I highly doubt teams are going to just blindly assume another team will have a top 5 pick. They are going to need more insurance.

San Fransisco would have needed compensation from this year's draft to drop out of the top 10. Most likely pick 33 which is 580 points and then next year's first.

Yep Cleveland would have had to give up the farm to move up that far

laputan

Liked Posts:
First 10 pages free. -Remydat

C2QyklCXEAA47yd.jpg

ditka4life

Liked Posts:
Yep Cleveland would have had to give up the farm to move up that far

Yeah, honestly, I think Peter King's opinion is flat out wrong about the Brown's fake-out for number 2.
Pace was going to move up to 2 no matter what.
No true Bears fan wants a repeat of the Kevin White fiasco (Leonard Williams).
Any Bears fan that says Pace shouldn't move up, seems to be happy missing out on Williams.

Pace paid a fair deal (I think he underpaid and got a bargain) by giving up just 2 3rd rounders to the 49ers.

I don't think the Browns had anything to do with Pace's offer, because Pace knew they weren't offering enough to move up to 2, but were looking to move up to 5. Its stupid of Peter King to not mention that the Browns had a deal in place to move up to 5 from the Titans to get Trubisky. Maybe Peter King doesn't know what he is talking about after all (or just repeats half the story).

"Applause to the Browns, for closing ranks in the first round and keeping alive the perception that they might trade from 12 to two to pick up North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. That, in part, forced the Bears, who wanted Trubisky badly, to deal from three to two and throw in a third draft choice to assure they’d get their man. The Browns at times have been a leaky sieve during drafts. Not this time"