gtx 1080 or wait for vega?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i can get a good deal on a 1080 right now and im really considering pulling the trigger. but vega is right around the corner and while i usually advise people against waiting, with vega so close i cant help but wonder if amd will offer anything worthwhile at the same price point. but then im kind of ready to go with nvidia rather than amd since amds handling of their drivers recently has pissed me off. any drivers newer than 6 months are pretty much useless for most 390 owners.

anyway, what do you guys think? should i pull the trigger on a 1080?

AussieBear

what kind of gains will be had??

i thought about doing a cheap upgrade to a rx 460 or 1050.. but to be honest..its not really much of a jump in performace for 1-2 hundred aussie.. so im staying put until i can double me performance at a fair price... doubling would run me about 3-350 AUD to start....

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends on how good of a deal you are looking at.

Personally, I kind of like the idea of just going with a Ti and skipping GPU generations. But I don't have kids and therefore have some disposable income, idk.

There have been spec leaks around vega and it looks like it won't be some big jump ahead. But who knows. If I was gon guess, I would bet that the top vega card will be in the neighborhood of a 1080 ti, maybe a few percent lower performance, but at a significantly reduced price. But who knows.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really like my 1080. Never gets hot, barley warm.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
well from my 390 a 1080 will be a huge jump. the 1080ti is too expensive, plus even if i had it im not sure id spend 700 bucks on a gpu. unless i was doing so well 700 meant absolutely nothing, then, sure.

anyway, i can get a 1080 for like 460 bucks, plus a free game. and since i game at 1080p i figure the 1080 will give me some headroom(at least when a games a well optimized), lasting years.

but it will annoy me if amd releases something with equal or better performance for the same price or less. but then again, like i said, im not too happy with amd right now. wish i came across this deal sooner since usually i wouldnt even consider waiting. but vega so damn close... fuck. lol

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
No idea. Too much hype, but if I had to make a prediction based on historical trends...

I think Vega will be disappointing. AMD has been distracted by building heterogeneous compute cores that can integrate functions introduced in GCN 1.0. And as we all know, they're short about 10 software engineers to debug and patch driver issues.

That being said, you're simply not going to go wrong with a 1080ti, where you might run into headaches jumping on board the AMD train while they have wonky driver updates and a somewhat arrogant lead developer that considers anything older than rx 300 series optimized to full potential.

I openly and passionately hate nVidia because of their business practices. Any company that spends considerable amounts of time sabotaging others should be boycott for an inferior product (in hopes the trend shifts to competitors to make even better products). But there is no way I can reasonable believe Vega is going to be more than just hype with disappointing drivers and benchmarks that apply best in niche scenarios. AMD's 'Radeon Technology Group' needs their own wake up call too. After the revisions of the PS4 and XB1 calm, then AMD will likely take the next gen with whatever architecture and nVidia will be back to skimping on overpriced components. Back and fourth, etc.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
well id be going with a 1080 not the ti, but i think i might just pull the trigger.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like a good idea for the price.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Maybe the Ti will drop in price (not a ton, but enough to make it more appetizing for you, if you were once ready to wait on Vega anyways). I just love that they managed to drop TDP while raise performance with the Ti over non-Ti. Sometimes that's worth the difference in price because it makes up for itself long term between prolonging upgrades and saving power/heat. Both are fairly lower in TDP than the 390, so meh, yeah.. I guess you can't go wrong either way.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i cant imagine the ti coming down to below 500 anytime soon.

and though i might not ever go sli, a good thing about the 1080 and its low tdp is, i would be able to add a second down the line if i wanted to without worrying about my psu being enough... which definitely isnt the case with the 390. i think its pretty obvious which direction i was leaning and at this point im just fishing for validation. lol

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couple things...

Here are the basic rules I try to ponder when thinking about upgrading a gpu...

1. Buy the single best card that is in your budget. Maybe even a little over your budget
2. Never use future sli to talk yourself into a card. Thats my rule after using sli and I won't ever go back. For me, if I cannot afford a single card solution that will accomplish what I want, I will wait and save more or wait for better tech
3. What do I want this card for? 120Hz 1080p? 60Hz 1440? 100Hz 1440? 60Hz 4k? Am I ok with turning down some settings to hit my fps targets?
4. Is my card limiting me right NOW? Am I getting frustrated with performance or low settings?

Here is the deal with the gtx1080. People have problems with it compared to the 1070 cause the price to performance. Its an expensive upgrade from the 1070 without huge performance upgrade. The general buzz is that its sorta low value. Thats why when you bring up the 1080, people are prob always gon start talking about the TI. I am not sure if the value is really there with the Ti but its a pretty big jump in performance. A bigger jump than between any of the other tiers.

But then if $700 is just plain too much for what is basically a toy, that is totally fucking reasonable and if thats past your limit then everyone else can fuck off with their opinions.

As a gaming enthusiast, personally I cant fucking stand fiddling with settings and the ini and whatever other bullshit to find that perfect balance between fps, frametimes, and graphics. Its worth it to me to spend more and avoid most of that shit. So I will pretty much always go the best I can afford. I would spend the extra to go 1080 over 1070. But that doesn't necessarily make sense for everyone.

Lemme say this about the Ti though... I am still running the 980ti that I got almost 2 years ago (lowly 1080p but still) and I have never had to turn a setting down. I bet I will be able to totally skip the 10XX generation and when the 11XX Ti comes out in another 18 months or whatever, I bet I will still be close to maxed settings on 1080 and 1440 @ 60 fps both.

Finally, if you are thinking at all about sli, fuck that and just get the Ti. But you know, just digressing now.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i cant imagine the ti coming down to below 500 anytime soon.

and though i might not ever go sli, a good thing about the 1080 and its low tdp is, i would be able to add a second down the line if i wanted to without worrying about my psu being enough... which definitely isnt the case with the 390. i think its pretty obvious which direction i was leaning and at this point im just fishing for validation. lol

Ti will probably never drop below 600. Probably not below 650.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
yeah, i probably wont ever go sli, its just a nice what if option. but it doesnt play a role in my decision. as for the 1070 vs 1080... well i almost actually just bought a 1070 before stumbling upon this 1080 deal. and the thing is the decent 1070s are still going for around 400 bucks... some 430. and the 1080 offers an average of 15- 20 fps more than the 1070 most of the time, and thats not bad. now when the 1080 was 700 bucks was it worth it over the 1070? not really. but now its reversed, the 1070 is the worse deal. why go for a 400 dollar card(thats on par with used 300 dollar 980 tis) when for 60 bucks more i can get a 1080, you know? and the ti is actually about the same jump over the regular 1080 based off comparison vids ive watched.so 60 bucks for 15-20fps vs 240 bucks for 15-20fps. 1080 is by far the price to performance king now.

and im with u with settings, i hate fussing with that shit, i just want to max shit out and play without worrying about maintaining 60 fps... which isnt the case with the 390. it still does a decent job and an upgrade isnt absolutely necessary but performance could be better and the current drivers are shit. and the thing is if i had a little more money when i built this rig last year i would have gone with a 6700k and a 980 ti, and if that was the case i wouldnt have any interest in upgrading now. but since i didnt have it then id figure id upgrade in a year or so and then be done for a while. so if i go with the 1080 my rig will have gone from a z170 platform w/ a 6600k and r9 390 to a z270 platform w/ a 7700k and a gtx 1080. thats a hell of a jump, and with what ive got from my old cpu and what ill get from my gpu the upgrades will only have cost like 150 bucks tops... not counting the new mobo which wasnt in the plans but oh well. though i got some of the cost back on that as well. anyway with those specs and at 1080p i should be good for a while.

here i am essentially validating my own essentially pre determined decision again.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, if the price gap is that low between the 1070 and 1080, then fuck it. Ima go 1080 all day.

AussieBear

well from my 390 a 1080 will be a huge jump. the 1080ti is too expensive, plus even if i had it im not sure id spend 700 bucks on a gpu. unless i was doing so well 700 meant absolutely nothing, then, sure.

anyway, i can get a 1080 for like 460 bucks, plus a free game. and since i game at 1080p i figure the 1080 will give me some headroom(at least when a games a well optimized), lasting years.

but it will annoy me if amd releases something with equal or better performance for the same price or less. but then again, like i said, im not too happy with amd right now. wish i came across this deal sooner since usually i wouldnt even consider waiting. but vega so damn close... fuck. lol

as long as youre getting jumps at a price you are cool with.. then jump on it.. but like bot had said... 60hz 900p, 1080p......120Hz 1080p? 60Hz 1440? 100Hz 1440? 60Hz 4k... FPS goals..

if i upgrade 2-3 steps.. i would need new monitors too...

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
people say 1080s are overkill for 1080p or ti and titans are overkill for 1440p, but they really arent. so im perfectly fine with sticking to 1080p 60fps with a 1080.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not trying to derail, but SLI seems to be something that anyone I talk to who has tried it winds up saying it is not worth the price/hassle because you run into tons of headaches trying to get shit to work with dual cards.... and then of course you not only need to buy 2 cards, but use twice the power, have twice the heat concerns, etc.

Is SLI only a good option if you genuinely have to go with cheap video cards? Or is it really most useful if you want to do heavy video processing? Does it even help there?

I have never bothered with dual video cards, but at this point I find myself wondering who does and why? What is the use case where it makes honest sense to use dual video cards?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Not trying to derail, but SLI seems to be something that anyone I talk to who has tried it winds up saying it is not worth the price/hassle because you run into tons of headaches trying to get shit to work with dual cards.... and then of course you not only need to buy 2 cards, but use twice the power, have twice the heat concerns, etc.

Is SLI only a good option if you genuinely have to go with cheap video cards? Or is it really most useful if you want to do heavy video processing? Does it even help there?

I have never bothered with dual video cards, but at this point I find myself wondering who does and why? What is the use case where it makes honest sense to use dual video cards?

Only a tiny, tiny percentage of PC gamers use more than one video card; it's just not worth the price. You're getting less (and in some cases much less) than 2x the performance for 2x the cost, plus technical headaches on top of that. I did it once and would never do it again.