Decentralized Internet

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is a topic I started looking at because of Silicon Valley.... interesting stuff to read about.

Decentralized DNS seems to be one of the biggest things that could help weaken the grip of governments if it was widely adopted and the underlying tech was well done.

Yeah, I'm using our Gaming forum as the tech forum now...

Thoughts on Decentralized internet?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
This is a topic I started looking at because of Silicon Valley.... interesting stuff to read about.

Decentralized DNS seems to be one of the biggest things that could help weaken the grip of governments if it was widely adopted and the underlying tech was well done.

I am 100% for anything that gives a basic end user more privacy. I do not think that it the the governments place to spy on its citizens.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am 100% for anything that gives a basic end user more privacy. I do not think that it the the governments place to spy on its citizens.

Well decentralized internet could certainly accomplish privacy goals, if done well.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well decentralized internet could certainly accomplish privacy goals, if done well.

How many USB thumbsticks do we need?

AussieBear

tech forum is much mo betta... change the heading.. games can fall under tech eh...

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

The problem is that if it is done well and it does create privacy for the end user the government will never allow it.

It would almost have to be quietly created, and then advertised as an alternative much like VPN's are now. I am not sure how it would ever truly work as the government will always want to have its nosy ass involved in everything we do online.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
What if I told you it already exists?

;)

Competing internets, which is how it should be. Not just one system, but many. With enough digging, anyone will find it. Not sure the barrier to entry needs to be lowered right now, because that will bring in the systematic users. Some services are linked on multiple networks, if one goes down (which is not something that would happen overnight) then others are in place already and more will pop up. Centralized and decentralized alike.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What if I told you it already exists?

;)

Competing internets, which is how it should be. Not just one system, but many. With enough digging, anyone will find it. Not sure the barrier to entry needs to be lowered right now, because that will bring in the systematic users. Some services are linked on multiple networks, if one goes down (which is not something that would happen overnight) then others are in place already and more will pop up. Centralized and decentralized alike.

Can I get initiated into the Crystallas Decentralized DNS cult?

czman

Liked Posts:

The main issue is that once you hit a device that is owned by a company they can track and then sell the information. Not really going to do much honestly. The best way to try to hide your privacy is to use two separate and distinct hops. like getting a virtual machine from and then using it to browse to a proxy. Both will track you, I don't care if they say they don't, but they will each only have part of the conversation. Someone would have to get both sets of logs and then match them up. Unless you are doing something really shady, no government or company is going to go through all the work it takes.

I have not done much for privacy and tracking. I have been looking at renting a VM and using it as a jump host. Then pairing that with TOR to a proxy. I am sure I would get about as sloooooooooooow as modern browsing can be. I just don't do enough shady things on line to make it worth the hassle.

The real problem is people in the US, where I live, are voting on passed and legislated topics (solved if you will) and not on the future legislation that is about to be, or is being written. Companies are writing the laws right now it is not good for us. I fully suspect 30 years from now people ill be looking around and wondering how things got to where they are. I guess that is the fundamental problem with having 50% of the house/senate lawyers and having very people who know anything about technology.

Anyway, in short there is no easy way to have privacy on the internet, because someone owns the connection to your house and it is not you. I don't ever see a time when people own that.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If you're going to use a VM structure, then you may as well containerize. My local network has been a kubernetes structure and anything can be routed through it and other VPS. But this is still a solution to another problem.

Privacy is one reason a decentralized internet is desirable, but not the only reason. Decentralization allows a mix of all systems, distributed and centralized. It also doesn't use TCP/IP in most deployments, but it could. Allowing competing protocols to work along side each other means competing theories on how systems should work are taken off the whiteboard and used in production. Real world testing for all of the features desired. So that means in theory, we could recoup 120% of reroute traffic of the 200-some% that bogs down the internet now because when you attack sites, you attack yourself as well, making nearly all systematic non-injection attacks irrelevant. Therefore, same infastructures would more than double bandwidth without anything else added. The benefits of decentralization are huge in real world applications.