IST: Cubs @ Cardinals

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
cubscardinals-new.jpg

Friday 5/12 7:15 PM CDT
Butler (0-0, ----ERA) vs Leake (4-1, 1.79 ERA)

Saturday 5/13 3:05 PM CDT
Lester (1-1, 3.27 ERA) vs Wacha (2-1, 3.19 ERA)

Sunday 5/14 1:15 PM CDT
Arrieta (4-2, 5.35 ERA) vs TBD

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This should be a fun series

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm wondering if Baez plays SS all series with Russell's shoulder. We could see a Candy, Baez, Zobrist, Rizzo IF for the series.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I don't know about a sweep but if Butler can do his job the team should hit Leake, despite his hot start. Cubs batters hit .284 against him last year with a .796 OPS. Rizzo, Bryant and Baez hit him exceptionally well. I hope they get them tonight. I'll worry about the rest tomorrow. That said a sweep would go a long way towards turning the tide.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Unrelated to this game but I'm curious to get others take on this.... anyone think the Giants make Bumgarner available? He's got 2 years left on his deal after this and SF is the worst team in the majors right now. My gut says they throw money at the problem but their farm system isn't particularly good. They have 2 55 grade players according to mlb.com and 5 50 grade players.

I personally don't think they'd entirely burn it down but Bumgarner would allow them to get a premium player or 3 and the FA pitching crop starts to look better after this coming offseason. It would also free up money to extend Pence and they already have pretty lengthy deals on Shark, Cueto and Moore. Cain comes off the books i think after next year.

I'm of two minds. I sorta think it's probably the right move but I don't think the Giants would do it. They seem early 2000's yankees like to just keep buying old guys and hope it works.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Unrelated to this game but I'm curious to get others take on this.... anyone think the Giants make Bumgarner available? He's got 2 years left on his deal after this and SF is the worst team in the majors right now. My gut says they throw money at the problem but their farm system isn't particularly good. They have 2 55 grade players according to mlb.com and 5 50 grade players.

I personally don't think they'd entirely burn it down but Bumgarner would allow them to get a premium player or 3 and the FA pitching crop starts to look better after this coming offseason. It would also free up money to extend Pence and they already have pretty lengthy deals on Shark, Cueto and Moore. Cain comes off the books i think after next year.

I'm of two minds. I sorta think it's probably the right move but I don't think the Giants would do it. They seem early 2000's yankees like to just keep buying old guys and hope it works.

It probably is the right move but Giants fans would riot. I can't imagine they do it.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

Not happening. Although it would be the pragmatic thing to do -- SF fans would go nuts if they traded Madbum. Although it'd be pretty short sighted, as they need to over haul their entire organization terribly.

I did hear Cueto could be dealt, though.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Not happening. Although it would be the pragmatic thing to do -- SF fans would go nuts if they traded Madbum. Although it'd be pretty short sighted, as they need to over haul their entire organization terribly.

I did hear Cueto could be dealt, though.

The opt out makes any deal for Cueto tricky. SF would have to trade him at the price of a rental but the team trading for him would also be taking on the risk that if he were injured this season after the trade the team would be on the hook for $89 mil (4 years at $21 mil and a $5 mil buyout of his option year). That risk lowers his value to the point that SF might think that even the new lower FA compensation would be of more value.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I heard Cueto and Samatdzija could be available..

Cueto could be interesting..
Owed 22 mil age 32 to 35
So, not sure if Cubs wanna pay the money on someone at that age..

I hope they stay away from shark..

I'm thinking Archer and maybe Darvish are the Cubs top choices right now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I want at least 2 of 3 this series...
Need to get something going again and slow down the Cardinals

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Owed 22 mil age 32 to 35

I think we have to see how Butler does with his opertunity. If he looks like a legit long term option then it makes sense to go after a 2nd lefty for the rotation.

Just cross your fingers that he makes it because replacing 1 guy this off season is much better than 2 starters. Which means they can dedicate more salary to 1 guy vs dividing that salary to 2 guys and getting a worse rotation.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He is worth giving up Jimenez. Not sure if 2 years of control is the right choice though.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Owed 22 mil age 32 to 35

I don't think TB will make Archer available and if they do you're talking a huge package to get him. I do like the idea of Darvish, particularly if they have thoughts of signing him in FA. I still think the most viable option is Verlander who's 3.38 FIP is pretty attractive, but he would preclude them from buying a pitcher in FA. They could handle his $28mil AAV but Darvish and Cueto will cost at least that much and I doubt they'll tie up that much money in pitching for two of them.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think TB will make Archer available and if they do you're talking a huge package to get him. I do like the idea of Darvish, particularly if they have thoughts of signing him in FA. I still think the most viable option is Verlander who's 3.38 FIP is pretty attractive, but he would preclude them from buying a pitcher in FA. They could handle his $28mil AAV but Darvish and Cueto will cost at least that much and I doubt they'll tie up that much money in pitching for two of them.

If Butler works out that puts the rotation at 1-3 Lester and Hendricks. 4-5 Butler. Say they decide to push Montgomery into starting filling the 4. That leaves 1 TOR spot. They could go after Darvish realistically at that point. It is over 40 mil off the books with Arrieta, Anderson and Lackey. Adding 25 mil per in Darvish and the small pay upgrade to Hendricks easily leaves room for some arb cases.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't normally call shots but the cubs had a day off.... it's the cards... I think Schwarber has a good game tonight.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Contreras goes oppo..

Need him to get going again

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Candelario gotta have a good weekend if he wants to stay up when Heyward returns...
Or at least stay attractive for trade

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't normally call shots but the cubs had a day off.... it's the cards... I think Schwarber has a good game tonight.
I'd be happy to see him hit 2 singles