IST: Cubs vs Reds

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They don't need a 5th starter they need at least a 2/3 guy. Arrieta can be no better than your 4th starter. Danny Duffy is starting to look good. for a trade. His contract is reasonable and he'd slot in at 3. Quintana would probably be a better choice but the White Sox won't trade him in town. a lot of the other guys who were assumed to available might not be.
If they decide to trade for one..

I'm starting to think Epstein don't want to give up any of his young hitters and just prefers to sign guys in off season.

It would be perfect if Arrieta and Lackey fell to the BOR and they were able to trade for a young controlled TOR starter..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If they decide to trade for one..

I'm starting to think Epstein don't want to give up any of his young hitters and just prefers to sign guys in off season.

It would be perfect if Arrieta and Lackey fell to the BOR and they were able to trade for a young controlled TOR starter..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I doubt they do anything. Right now the hot trade ticket is Happ but Joe is going to play him.

I'm thinking that they target:
(From MLBTR)
1. Yu Darvish. Nine starts into his season, Darvish is not quite in vintage form. His 2.76 ERA ranks 11th in the American League, though strikeouts are down and walks are up. The key stat might be his 58 2/3 innings pitched, good for a second-place tie in the league. Darvish’s second career 200-inning campaign would quiet concerns after his 22-month Tommy John layoff, possibly leading to the largest contract of the winter. In the short term, the question is whether Darvish will be traded this summer. The Rangers have climbed into the Wild Card discussion with an eight-game winning streak, though they’re already eight games behind the Astros for the division lead.

9. Michael Pineda. Tanaka’s rotation-mate has a home run problem as well, with a full quarter of Pineda’s fly-balls going for home runs. Nonetheless, he’s posted a ridiculous strikeout-to-walk ratio accompanied by a solid 3.42 ERA through eight starts. Despite the 10 home runs allowed, Pineda has been able to avoid disaster starts. Has the 28-year-old actually “figured it out” and harnessed his considerable stuff? Jake Devin of Pinstripe Alley asked that question earlier this week, and found the results to be inconclusive.

Tanaka is too risky.

With that they would need a back of the rotation lefty. That would be a trade target.

6) Max Fried, LHP, Grade B+: Age 22, 3.93 ERA with 112/47 K/BB in 103 innings in Low-A, 87 hits, nice recovery season from Tommy John surgery and was especially effective late in the season; fastball at 91-95, change-up still needs some work but curveball and slider have developed well; struck out 52 in last 39 innings in the regular season. Another guy who could be an above-average to excellent pitcher for a long time. ETA: 2019.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I doubt they do anything. Right now the hot trade ticket is Happ but Joe is going to play him.

I'm thinking that they target:
(From MLBTR)
1. Yu Darvish. Nine starts into his season, Darvish is not quite in vintage form. His 2.76 ERA ranks 11th in the American League, though strikeouts are down and walks are up. The key stat might be his 58 2/3 innings pitched, good for a second-place tie in the league. Darvish’s second career 200-inning campaign would quiet concerns after his 22-month Tommy John layoff, possibly leading to the largest contract of the winter. In the short term, the question is whether Darvish will be traded this summer. The Rangers have climbed into the Wild Card discussion with an eight-game winning streak, though they’re already eight games behind the Astros for the division lead.

9. Michael Pineda. Tanaka’s rotation-mate has a home run problem as well, with a full quarter of Pineda’s fly-balls going for home runs. Nonetheless, he’s posted a ridiculous strikeout-to-walk ratio accompanied by a solid 3.42 ERA through eight starts. Despite the 10 home runs allowed, Pineda has been able to avoid disaster starts. Has the 28-year-old actually “figured it out” and harnessed his considerable stuff? Jake Devin of Pinstripe Alley asked that question earlier this week, and found the results to be inconclusive.

Tanaka is too risky.

With that they would need a back of the rotation lefty. That would be a trade target.

6) Max Fried, LHP, Grade B+: Age 22, 3.93 ERA with 112/47 K/BB in 103 innings in Low-A, 87 hits, nice recovery season from Tommy John surgery and was especially effective late in the season; fastball at 91-95, change-up still needs some work but curveball and slider have developed well; struck out 52 in last 39 innings in the regular season. Another guy who could be an above-average to excellent pitcher for a long time. ETA: 2019.

NYY aren't trading Pineda when they are competing

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Off season trades. They are FA. Fried is a trade target.

Butler said he didn't have a feel for the ball. 45 degrees was part of the issue. It happens. That is why you look at his body of work after 5 games. Last game we were saying main stay now trade targets. How about we step off the edge of the cliff and watch how it plays out.

Inseason I really don't think they will deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe the craze this offseason will be centered around Shohei Ohtan. He has made it known he intends to pitch and hit so he will end up on a DH team. So in view of that the big 3 of Arrieta, Darvish and Cueto if he opts will have to wait. That happened when Tanaka posted so it is normal business.

At that point the Cubs could target Darvish before the chips fall. He is the guy worth spending big on.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Off season trades. They are FA. Fried is a trade target.

Butler said he didn't have a feel for the ball. 45 degrees was part of the issue. It happens. That is why you look at his body of work after 5 games. Last game we were saying main stay now trade targets. How about we step off the edge of the cliff and watch how it plays out.

Inseason I really don't think they will deal.

It does not help when Maddon uses multiple relievers in a 9-0 game. Isn't that the problem. They wanted Montomery to be the starter but cant get a lefty arm other than him in the pen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It does not help when Maddon uses multiple relievers in a 9-0 game. Isn't that the problem. They wanted Montomery to be the starter but cant get a lefty arm other than him in the pen.

I disagree. The signed Anderson because they were not 100% behind Montgomery. As we saw they were able to sign a few LH bull pen arms. Anderson signaled that they were not confident with Montgomery in the rotation.

As we saw Anderson really was not dominate as a starter even when healthy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looking at the offseason market I really like going after Yu Darvish and Derek Holland. That would be a solid 1-4. Darvish, Lester, Hendricks, Holland.