Did Celtics winning the Draft lottery end Jimmy trade talks?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Earth to fans bulls like the status quo they aren't starting over. They over value and fall in love with their players until the best trade you can get is the abortion of a trade we did before the deadline last season. It is what it is

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I think Jimmy is worth the #1 pick in this draft and i would do that trade. It comes down to whether or not Ainge believes Celtics can beat Cavs/Warriors with Jimmy (probably not).

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
know what you are trading for, no need to talk about a #.

Would you trade Jimmy for Wash U's Fultz, or UCLA Lonzo Ball who will leave after rookie deal.

I wouldn't on either account. We have a star player signed up and should build around him beginning with the coach.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Earth to fans bulls like the status quo they aren't starting over. They over value and fall in love with their players until the best trade you can get is the abortion of a trade we did before the deadline last season. It is what it is

All ownership cares about is home playoff game revenue. Why would a front office that sucks at drafting players and evaluating talent take a risk with a rebuild that would remove the Reinsdorfs' postseason money, expose their incompetence (more than it already is), and lose the people running it their jobs?

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Jimmy is worth the #1 pick to the Celtics if they intend to go forward with their current roster and not start rebuilding. They are trying to get past the Cavs. Does another 20 year old, another lottery pick improve their chances because he'll be better than what they have to go toe to toe with Lebron? No they don't need more potential and athleticism. They need to add somebody to their current core of players who are coming into their own who can help face Lebron right now, not in 3 years when their players will be 3 years older, looking for their big payday contracts and they can't keep them all or some other team might be their competition.

If the Celtics lose to the Cavs this year then they are the ones who have too decide if Jimmy is the piece that they need to get to solidify their lineup to get to the finals. Whoever they might draft might help them win more regular season games in a year or two but he isn't going to change their chances of getting to the finals anytime soon.

I think Ainge is likely to go all in for the next 2-3 years by trading that pick and some of his players for either Jimmy or some other veteran who makes Boston a better playoff team. You just can't keep drafting and developing young players forever, when you've got a roster that can win games the next step is winning playoff games then winning the Finals. Continually adding more young players isn't how you win the Finals.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ball's shot does not project well to extension, imo.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Jimmy Butler is not worth trading the #1 pick away for. His trade ceiling is probably Phoenix at #4.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Jimmy Butler is not worth trading the #1 pick away for. His trade ceiling is probably Phoenix at #4.

It all depends on what boston values him at. The nets obviously thought 2 washed up players were worth 3 top 3 first round picks. I think its better for a eastern conference title contender to trade that pick for a veteran than draft a young unproven player. That is what the cavs did.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
hindsight is 20/20. So we'll see what was the better decision. But then the broken record in me comes out...

Hoiberg developing a #1 pick drastically increases the bust rate IMO.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
lol, I think you're being too hard on our boy Fred.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I thought I was being nice. Doesn't matter. If we draft a PG #1 or #16, they're going straight into rebounding camp for the next 8 months.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I just think GarPax has a theory on the right player, and it's just wrong. So I don't think that's necessarily on Fred, as he's not being given the players. This concept they have of getting successful college players obviously just hasn't been working. *If* they were to draft a guy like Fultz, I'm decently confident enough that Fred could take a player like him and develop him the way we expect a supposed offensive mind to do it.

greg23

Liked Posts:
You're nuts if you think Boston would even consider trading #1 overall for butler.....and you're even more nuts (or garpax) if you suggest the bulls turn it down

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
You're nuts if you think Boston would even consider trading #1 overall for butler.....and you're even more nuts (or garpax) if you suggest the bulls turn it down

We're not making predictions here, we're talking in hindsight about an offer the Bulls already turned down when the Nets pick was damn near locked in for highest #1 odds.

Also, forgive zack. He's the head writer and it's 2017. So the title may be a little clickbaity out of habit, The article clearly states the trade talks are over due to the Celtics(Nets) winning the lotto.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
PG Valentine/Payne/Grant
SG Butler/Canaan
SF Hayes
PF Portis/Swanigan
C Lopez/Felicio-Lauvianiitis

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Its clear that the Celtics see Thomas was not going to beat the cavs, Thomas was not guarding LeBron. None of the first two point guards that need to be drafted with the over all number 1 is going to guard Lebron and need to replace Thomas. Can anyone really believe Ainge is going to give Thomas that 30 million per year? If they trade for the guy to guard Lebron, they almost have to pay Thomas right?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We could use a franchise PG.

I think a trade makes sense on some levels for the #1, to move ahead of Lakers and steal Ball maybe.
I'd do it if we also get Smart in that trade.

Fultz/Ball + Smart is my price.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I think it's predicated on what Gordon Hayward does. They may trade Fultz to us if Hayward decides to stay in Utah. They are likely to have a top 2 pick next year anyways to add another good, young player.