When will the Bears get a Compensatory Pick?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fair enough and thank you for the link. I still think the system itself is not working as intended and needs to be changed. That is the main point of this thread. As it stands good teams are able to take advantage of it, and widen the talent gap. It also rewards being cheap, you don't have to be against the cap to get a pick, which is wrong imo.

The point of the system is to reward teams that lost Free Agents not to help bad teams. Bad teams are already helped by the fact they get higher draft picks and/or they signed a ton of FAs.

Like what would be your proposal? Look at the Bears in that link. They had like a net gain of 4 free agents. Are you proposing they should receive comp picks still even though they signed a ton of FAs and had the 3/4 pick in the draft?

Rise

Liked Posts:
The point of the system is to reward teams that lost Free Agents not to help bad teams. Bad teams are already helped by the fact they get higher draft picks and/or they signed a ton of FAs.

Like what would be your proposal? Look at the Bears in that link. They had like a net gain of 4 free agents. Are you proposing they should receive comp picks still even though they signed a ton of FAs and had the 3/4 pick in the draft?

Its rewarding teams for not paying players, big difference. No I don't think the Bears should be getting extra picks, they aren't playing the game correctly. Great example is Bennet. According to that link the Pats are getting a 5th round pick for just letting him leave, and got a year of his services. So they basically got him for free, which is ridiculous.

Bottom line looking at the Pats overall acquisitions this offseason do you honestly think they deserve extra picks? Teams are proactively not signing players based on these picks which is not how it should be. The system should be designed for teams at the cap limit who have to let players go, that way at least the players are winning, by virtue of more money spent in the league. It also ensures good teams aren't rigging the game by acquiring players via trade which then does not count at all against this system, which is what the Patriots basically did.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Its rewarding teams for not paying players, big difference. No I don't think the Bears should be getting extra picks, they aren't playing the game correctly. Great example is Bennet. According to that link the Pats are getting a 5th round pick for just letting him leave, and got a year of his services. So they basically got him for free, which is ridiculous.

Bottom line looking at the Pats overall acquisitions this offseason do you honestly think they deserve extra picks? Teams are proactively not signing players based on these picks which is not how it should be. The system should be designed for teams at the cap limit who have to let players go, that way at least the players are winning, by virtue of more money spent in the league. It also ensures good teams aren't rigging the game by acquiring players via trade which then does not count at all against this system, which is what the Patriots basically did.

Teams are required to spend like 95% of the cap over a 3-4 year period so as long as they are doing that then I fail to see why they should be penalized for being good. The fact is even with losing the players, the Pats will still be a Super Bowl contender so I am not sure your point. Should the Pats just sign guys that they have replacements for just for shits and giggles?

So no I don't think it's because they are cheap. I think it's because they are a well managed team and so they can afford to let guys walk because they have a plan to replace them and get equal or better production for less.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Teams are required to spend like 95% of the cap over a 3-4 year period so as long as they are doing that then I fail to see why they should be penalized for being good. The fact is even with losing the players, the Pats will still be a Super Bowl contender so I am not sure your point. Should the Pats just sign guys that they have replacements for just for shits and giggles?

So no I don't think it's because they are cheap. I think it's because they are a well managed team and so they can afford to let guys walk because they have a plan to replace them and get equal or better production for less.

No I just don't think they should be getting extra picks, it's pointless. Honestly I see no reason for the system to exist at all, especially with how high the cap is now. It should just be scrapped.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No I just don't think they should be getting extra picks, it's pointless. Honestly I see no reason for the system to exist at all, especially with how high the cap is now. It should just be scrapped.

Well that's a different argument altogether. I simply disagree with the idea the system doesn't do what it intends to do because it seemed you thought it was designed to help the bad teams. If you want to argue that the system is no longer necessary then I don't have a problem with that.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been explaining they way to do this for 10 years, out of breathe.

The Patriots are the best, followed by the Ravens, 49ers, who have been doing this for a decade, and then close to 10 or more teams do it effectively now so you see these compensatory sections of the draft are very long, but you don't find any bears picks in there, almost ever.

Its simple. Keep in mind the head scratching Patriots moves.

This has to do with Cliff Stein, and the Bears bleed out money to make a media impression. We almost always sign 2-4 free agents like clockwork, every year. We are so budget conscious, but given that this system exists the way we do things is so stupid, so moronic I don't know what to say.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS STAGGER YOUR FREE AGENT PURCHASING INTO BUY YEARS AND SELL YEARS!!! You counter this by having 10-12 pick years and 7 pick years by trading and adjusting.

So one year you can purchase all the free agents you need in the near future, get 6 or 8 of them, it doesn't matter. You aren't getting comp picks that year, but by looking ahead and over purchasing you aren't penalized for the future. You just lose one year.

You then restructure contracts, extensions, signing rookies for 4 instead of 5, or letting them walk...you have an exodus of players who don't quite fit or you don't quite trust their habits or lifestyle and don't want them after they have big money. All those guys need to be flushed by end of contract in same year and you need to fucking plan for that.

Its not that hard!! You aren't penalized for trading for players, so the Patriots if they have a need, will not sign a free agent and cock block pick block themselves like we do, they will trade for that free agent. Then restructure a contract that is favorable to their sell year.

I wish I could rant at McCaskey and explain how fucking stupid him and his front office are that they have not understood this through 4 regimes now and that you can't compete 5 picks against 10 or 12 anymore. We will never be good without massive luck as long as we are not playing the game.

Again, you aren't penalized for acquiring vets via trade. (Randy Moss and many others were acquired that way)
And again, you aren't penalized into the future if you buy everything you need and fill your grocery basket for a few years in one year. Better to buy 9 one year, and zero the next 2 while you are rebuilding and flushing. But the bears went through a rebuild still signing 2-4 every year and blocking the 2-4 leaving.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Well that's a different argument altogether. I simply disagree with the idea the system doesn't do what it intends to do because it seemed you thought it was designed to help the bad teams. If you want to argue that the system is no longer necessary then I don't have a problem with that.

Well it's both. I think it should go yes, but I also think the intent of it is to compensate teams who CANT sign a good FA, not a team who WONT sign said FA. I think that's why I view it as broken.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The Patriots are the best, followed by the Ravens, 49ers, who have been doing this for a decade, and then close to 10 or more teams do it effectively now so you see these compensatory sections of the draft are very long, but you don't find any bears picks in there, almost ever.

This has to do with Cliff Stein, and the Bears bleed out money to make a media impression. We almost always sign 2-4 free agents like clockwork, every year. We are so budget conscious, but given that this system exists the way we do things is so stupid, so moronic I don't know what to say.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS STAGGER YOUR FREE AGENT PURCHASING INTO BUY YEARS AND SELL YEARS!!! You counter this by having 10-12 pick years and 7 pick years by trading and adjusting.

So one year you can purchase all the free agents you need in the near future, get 6 or 8 of them, it doesn't matter. You aren't getting comp picks that year, but by looking ahead and over purchasing you aren't penalized for the future. You just lose one year.

You then restructure contracts, extensions, signing rookies for 4 instead of 5, or letting them walk...you have an exodus of players who don't quite fit or you don't quite trust their habits or lifestyle and don't want them after they have big money. All those guys need to be flushed by end of contract in same year and you need to fucking plan for that.

Its not that hard!! You aren't penalized for trading for players, so the Patriots if they have a need, will not sign a free agent and cock block pick block themselves like we do, they will trade for that free agent. Then restructure a contract that is favorable to their sell year.

I wish I could rant at McCaskey and explain how fucking stupid him and his front office are that they have not understood this through 4 regimes now and that you can't compete 5 picks against 10 or 12 anymore. We will never be good without massive luck as long as we are not playing the game.

Again, you aren't penalized for acquiring vets via trade. (Randy Moss and many others were acquired that way)
And again, you aren't penalized into the future if you buy everything you need and fill your grocery basket for a few years in one year. Better to buy 9 one year, and zero the next 2 while you are rebuilding and flushing. But the bears went through a rebuild still signing 2-4 every year and blocking the 2-4 leaving.

Why would I jump through all these hoops just to pick up comp picks that largely turn into players that are out of the league within 3 years?

I would never forgo picking up a FA I believed in simply to hopefully get a 4th or 5th round pick. Like the Patriots aren't jumping through all these hoops. They are simply good. Because they are good, they can let people walk because they trust they can find their replacement.

For a shitty fucking team like the Bears, a FA is a surer pick than comp picks because part of the reason the Bears suck balls is because they suck at drafting. So I would never give up the opportunity to sign a known quantity in the NFL just so I can have the luxury of blowing a 5th round pick.

The simple answer here is that the Bears need to get good. Once they get good then they will be in better position to get comp picks because they will have the luxury to let guys walk rather than overpay them.

Basically you are putting the cart before the horse. The comp picks are not the reason why the Pats or Ravens are good teams. The Pats and Ravens being good is why they end up with a lot of comp picks because they have the talent to allow players to leave rather than overpay them.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well it's both. I think it should go yes, but I also think the intent of it is to compensate teams who CANT sign a good FA, not a team who WONT sign said FA. I think that's why I view it as broken.

No that is not the intent at all. The intent is to compensate teams that lose players regardless of reason. And if anything it was put in by the owners of the good teams because in effect, the good teams are providing the shitty teams with their excess talent and felt they should be compensated for it. I have never heard anyone claim that the intent was as you stated above.

Like there is a reason why it's good teams that generally get the comp picks. It's the good teams that can afford to let good players go because they have excess talent. I don't really care if it stays or goes but I think it does what it is suppose to. You just don't see it that way because you are a fan of a team that fucking sucks.

Rise

Liked Posts:
No that is not the intent at all. The intent is to compensate teams that lose players regardless of reason. And if anything it was put in by the owners of the good teams because in effect, the good teams are providing the shitty teams with their excess talent and felt they should be compensated for it. I have never heard anyone claim that the intent was as you stated above.

Like there is a reason why it's good teams that generally get the comp picks. It's the good teams that can afford to let good players go because they have excess talent. I don't really care if it stays or goes but I think it does what it is suppose to. You just don't see it that way because you are a fan of a team that fucking sucks.

Well if that is indeed its intent I think it is horrible. It honestly has nothing to do with the Bears, other than sure if it's here to stay then I'd like my team to take advantage of it. As it stands I'm firmly in the camp of get rid of it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well if that is indeed its intent I think it is horrible. It honestly has nothing to do with the Bears, other than sure if it's here to stay then I'd like my team to take advantage of it. As it stands I'm firmly in the camp of get rid of it.

I'm indifferent. I can see the argument that if the good teams are developing more talent than they can keep because of FA then why not get compensated for the fact the shitty teams have to poach talent from the good teams because the shitty teams suck at developing their own.

At the same time don't really care if they get rid of it.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will take the 2017 draft class panning out and a good draft in 2018 & 2019 until the Bears could start acquiring comp picks. If all that happens expect comp picks to be scrapped because by the time the Bears do anything right it's always too late.

Washington

Liked Posts:
GB is also very good at acquiring comp picks. TT rarely signs FAs other than street FAs and IMHO, that is one reason they are pissing away a window of opportunity with having a HOF QB in Rodgers. Rodgers has clamored for additional talent and so have others on that team over the years. TT did sign Bennett this year as well as Kendricks, but he's a street FA. He signed Francois too. To me, Billy B is the master of building and maintaining rosters using all the available avenues.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
GB is also very good at acquiring comp picks. TT rarely signs FAs other than street FAs and IMHO, that is one reason they are pissing away a window of opportunity with having a HOF QB in Rodgers. Rodgers has clamored for additional talent and so have others on that team over the years. TT did sign Bennett this year as well as Kendricks, but he's a street FA. He signed Francois too. To me, Billy B is the master of building and maintaining rosters using all the available avenues.

I have been saying for years that TT is a fucking moron but by all means I sure hope he remains Green Bay's moron so they never win another SB. Its more fun to see them routinely winning only to bomb out in the playoffs.

nobull

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I am shocked. This was really well thought out

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I am shocked. This was really well thought out

Except the part that you actually have to have players of value walk and sign elsewhere. Over the last, lets say five years, how many players have they let walk that would have actually resulted in a compensatory pick? Tillman may have made the cut for a 7th rounder, but I'm not sure if his playing time would have qualified him even for that. Forte? 7th rounder, or maybe a 6th. That's it...the Bears didn't have any other FA losses over the last three years that would have qualified. And they'd only have gotten those picks if they signed no FAs that make more than the bottom 53% of players that make final rosters (because those contracts would cancel out the lost contract values).

So Rask wants to explain to the front office that they should have completely forgone free agency in order to have picked up two 7th rounders... That means no McPhee, no Trevathan, no Freeman, no Hicks, Massie, or Sitton. But hey, they'd might have gotten two 7ths instead! You actually have to have a really good team built well before any sort of comp. pick stockpiling can occur -- the Bears haven't had that much talent in a really long time due to shit drafting.

Yeah, it's really not all that well thought out...

Rise

Liked Posts:
Except the part that you actually have to have players of value walk and sign elsewhere. Over the last, lets say five years, how many players have they let walk that would have actually resulted in a compensatory pick? Tillman may have made the cut for a 7th rounder, but I'm not sure if his playing time would have qualified him even for that. Forte? 7th rounder, or maybe a 6th. That's it...the Bears didn't have any other FA losses over the last three years that would have qualified. And they'd only have gotten those picks if they signed no FAs that make more than the bottom 53% of players that make final rosters (because those contracts would cancel out the lost contract values).

So Rask wants to explain to the front office that they should have completely forgone free agency in order to have picked up two 7th rounders... That means no McPhee, no Trevathan, no Freeman, no Hicks, Massie, or Sitton. But hey, they'd might have gotten two 7ths instead! You actually have to have a really good team built well before any sort of comp. pick stockpiling can occur -- the Bears haven't had that much talent in a really long time due to shit drafting.

Yeah, it's really not all that well thought out...

2015 - 1 4th, 1 5th, 1 6th, 2 7ths
2016 - 1 6th, 2 7ths
2017 - 2 6th round picks
2018 - 1 4th, 1 5th, 4 7ths (Our signings this year cancelled these out)

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

So yeah buy years and sell years, his post was pretty spot on.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not telling you to lay off free agents. I'm saying instead of buying

3 last year, 3 this year, 3 next year....buy in bulk and save, buy 9 last year, then arrange all the guys you don't want long term to walk in the next 2 years. Rebuild the team with 10 picks a year, and then when you are feeling ready for the playoff push....you buy everyone and everything again. repeat.

There are other ways to acquire glaring needs, through UDFA's that if given opportunity could end up netting you a comp pick, and through trades for bargain bin head case types like the Patriots go after. If you acquire Marshall for a 6th for instance, there is a good chance he could serve as a stop gap and then net you a pick if you timed his career right.

You have to work at it from every corner, and the point is that we don't even try.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To follow up on this topic....the Patriots were in a buy year this year. That is why they prematurely traded Collins to Cleveland in a superbowl run, because they knew that ahead of time. They got value for a player they didn't want to pay a big contract to, and that they wouldn't get a comp pick for. They traded for that pick instead, and then spent the second most money in Free Agency this year of anybody.

So if my theory holds correct, Belichek just spent his free agent alottment for at least this year and next, and in the next two off-seaons you will see them let a bunch of those same free agents and internal guys matriculate out and recoup comp picks from them. When Brady leaves, they will rebuild with 9, 10, 11 draft pick years.